Christian McCaffrey, Others Skipping Bowl Games

BigRedBuster

Personally, I think he is full of crap as it pertains to the playoffs being the cause of this.

Most bowl games have ALWAYS been meaningless. These players would be opting out of these bowl games even if there wasn't a play off.

It's not like Stanford would have been in an extremely meaningful bowl game if we still had the old bowl system deciding things.

Little Nicki doesn't like the idea that he actually has to play a good team outside his conference to get into the championship game so he is going to take whatever swipe he can at the playoff system.

• Fire 2

I can see his team being disappointed by this, but I could give zero F's what the fans think.

He went to school to benefit himself, better his future, and to get a good job. His job just happens to be in the NFL. If he was quitting to take a 7 figure income with Apple or Google no one would say a word.

The fans need to shut up, he owes those entitled jealous slugs nothing.

Good job and good luck to him.

I think bowl games have always been a little more meaningless than we'd like to think as fans. This cuts right at that disconnect. Excellent point.

I don't think they will be very threatened by even large numbers of departing players choosing to get a jump on their pro preparations. CFB teams have over a hundred players and not all of them are focused on the NFL or even have a shot at it. It will also end up being a great chance for players who usually never get to see the field to do so.

CFB on the whole is a little weird. It's an amateur endeavor but with many pro aspirants. It's partly pure, partly de facto NFL minor league. Ultimately I have to come down on the side of player choice, wherever that leaves the state of the game (but it seems quite healthy and getting more and more so).

Zoogs is right in that the bowl games are probably not treated as important games for a lot of the kids. Unless it's for a national championship (in old days) or in the current playoff, they are really exhibition games and an opportunity to reward players with a trip and some swag.

I don't get too caught up in a win or loss in a bowl game, because the motivations for the team can be so different.

I think Saban has a point, though. I know I don't care that much about the Huskers' bowl game this year. Part of that is because of the injuries and the players who will be sitting out, but part of it is because I have become more desensitized to bowl games since the playoffs started.

Bowl games have, to a degree, always been meaningless. However, I think I still viewed them as mini championships in and of themselves. Now, I look at them as crackers and cheese before the Thanksgiving meal. They may have always been like that but my perception of them has significantly changed.

• Fire 1

I think Saban has a point, though. I know I don't care that much about the Huskers' bowl game this year. Part of that is because of the injuries and the players who will be sitting out, but part of it is because I have become more desensitized to bowl games since the playoffs started.

Bowl games have, to a degree, always been meaningless. However, I think I still viewed them as mini championships in and of themselves. Now, I look at them as crackers and cheese before the Thanksgiving meal. They may have always been like that but my perception of them has significantly changed.

OK....I'm glad you admit this is how your views have changed.

Since I don't understand the thought process, please explain to me how a bowl game like the Music City Bowl would have meant more before the playoffs? If we were sitting here in 1993 before even the BCS was created, this bowl game still would have had absolutely no bearing on the National Championship.

Sometimes I think Husker fans get this feeling because back then, every bowl game we went to meant something because we were one of the top teams. Now, we aren't so the bowl game doesn't mean anything. But, in their minds, something changed in the bowl/playoff system to cause this where in reality, it was Husker football that changed.

If anything has changed in the bowl system to cause this, it's the fact that we have 152 bowl games (exaggeration). Back in the 80s, we had maybe 15-20 bowls. now we have over 40. Don't you think maybe that has played a much bigger part in more bowls being totally meaningless?

• Fire 1

Would you be more disappointed as a fan or teammate of a player is ineligible for a bowl game from grades or drugs (Gerry) or if a guy decides on his own to not play (McCaffrey)?

definitely the Gerry situation would be more disappointing. Im excited for my teammate moving on to bigger and better things. I'm pissed at my teammate who is missing the game because he couldn't get his sh#t together like everyone else on the team. That's just inexcusable. Can't say the same with the McCaffrey situation.
  • Fire 1