2017 Season Notes

Mavric

lol okay

There are academic, athletic, recruiting, and facilities benefits that come with a P5 school that those other conferences don't offer and can't match. That's what I'm saying.

There are many "smaller" schools in the southern U.S. and California that can offer just as much as a Big Ten school can, in terms of a college baseball player can. The biggest equalizers in college baseball is weather and the 11.7 scholarship limit.

If I was from a warm weather state, I would much rather go to a warm weather school that is close to my home, and where I can play baseball nearly year-round. I am probably only going to get a 1/2 a scholarship anyway, so if it's close to my home and I'm a good student, I may be able to get some academic scholarship $ also.

There is a reason why "small" schools in warm weather states can make the CWS on an almost annual basis, and Indiana in 2013 is the only Big Ten school to make a CWS appearance in recent history.

Again, ColoradoHusk with good points.

And Atbone--it's understandable if you aren't knowledgeable about collegiate baseball, but don't just throw a comment out there based on an assumption that isn't commonly held and then have problems when people call you on it.

I am knowledgeable about collegiate baseball.

It is common knowledge the B1G is a bad baseball conference.

I'm done arguing here.

lol okay

There are academic, athletic, recruiting, and facilities benefits that come with a P5 school that those other conferences don't offer and can't match. That's what I'm saying.

There are many "smaller" schools in the southern U.S. and California that can offer just as much as a Big Ten school can, in terms of a college baseball player can. The biggest equalizers in college baseball is weather and the 11.7 scholarship limit.

If I was from a warm weather state, I would much rather go to a warm weather school that is close to my home, and where I can play baseball nearly year-round. I am probably only going to get a 1/2 a scholarship anyway, so if it's close to my home and I'm a good student, I may be able to get some academic scholarship $ also.

There is a reason why "small" schools in warm weather states can make the CWS on an almost annual basis, and Indiana in 2013 is the only Big Ten school to make a CWS appearance in recent history.

And Atbone--it's understandable if you aren't knowledgeable about collegiate baseball, but don't just throw a comment out there based on an assumption that isn't commonly held and then have problems when people call you on it.

I'm done arguing here.

Yes, it's common knowledge that the B1G is not a great baseball conference. Because of that, I think that NU isn't able to recruit the same type of player as it was in the Big 12. If you are from the Big 12 footprint, you would have been more willing to go to Nebraska, because you knew you would be playing most of your games in the Big 12 footprint.

That footprint has now changed, and I think that has hurt the talent that is actually coming to Lincoln.

lol okay

I'm done arguing here.

No, it's pretty obvious you're not knowledgeable when you say things like that--it's not "common knowledge" when the B1G is the sixth or seventh best conference in baseball out of 31 conferences, and four teams (DoNU, Michigan, Minnesota, Maryland) currently projected for the NCAA tournament, with a fifth on the bubble (Indiana), and two more right outside the bubble (Iowa and Michigan State). Hardly the portrait of a "bad" baseball conference.

Again, no one is saying the B1G is the best conference in NCAA Baseball. But to say it's a bad baseball conference is being ignorant (willfully or otherwise) of recent history, improvements, and current standings.

I'm sorry if you were triggered by my calling you out on your gross oversimplifications, but when you paint with a broad brush like that, you very rarely paint anything enlightening, and you typically just end up with paint all over yourself.

We had this discussion 5 days ago, and here we still are.

I meant P5....

You know, like we compare every other sport to...

We aren't even in the top 5 conferences by any metric... that's a BAD P5 conference... It's actually harder to play baseball in the "American Athletic Conference". Interesting.

But you argument of "worst P5 conference" is flawed with college baseball. Of course the northern most conference with the coldest weather is not going to be as good in baseball, which for colleges is a sport favored to warm weather teams.

The "advantages" you claim that a P5 school has in athletics aren't there for college baseball. It's better to be in a southern state than it is to be in a P5 school.

But you argument of "worst P5 conference" is flawed with college baseball. Of course the northern most conference with the coldest weather is not going to be as good in baseball, which for colleges is a sport favored to warm weather teams.

The "advantages" you claim that a P5 school has in athletics aren't there for college baseball. It's better to be in a southern state than it is to be in a P5 school.

And the fact that the B1G is the sixth-best conference in the nation when you have at least 1/2 of the NCAA Baseball conferences touching or being firmly placed in the southern or western United States just lends more credence that the B1G isn't "literally the most pathetic baseball conference out there".

I think we'll start seeing measured, but steady improvement in B1G Baseball, but if the BTN would actually dedicate more resources to broadcasting live baseball during the season (e.g. showing all games of a series if it's important to the B1G Conference standings, like the upcoming Nebraska/Minnesota series), you'd see that progress be accelerated significantly.

Looks like both NU and Mich have pretty good paths to taking the Big10 Title, however guessing playing the lower teams the rest of the way may not help our RPI much. Interesting to see how this will play out....

It won't hurt us that much if we win, to be honest. It's if we lose one of these series that is a problem. We should expect this team to go 13-1/12-2 the rest of the way...but considering how we've played down to competition before...I don't know.

Looks like both NU and Mich have pretty good paths to taking the Big10 Title, however guessing playing the lower teams the rest of the way may not help our RPI much. Interesting to see how this will play out....

It won't hurt us that much if we win, to be honest. It's if we lose one of these series that is a problem. We should expect this team to go 13-1/12-2 the rest of the way...but considering how we've played down to competition before...I don't know.

Screw that I want 14-0! Lol