best worse case scenerio 2017

10-2 or 9-3 regular season WITH NO BLOW OUT LOSSES is success. Lose more than 3 with a blowout loss is the worst case scenario.

The reality is we lose Westy, Carter, TA, Newby, Reilly at the skill positions, Gerry, Bando, MRI, Maurice on the D side.... That is a fair amount of talent and production (two top tacklers in Bando and Gerry)......

We also start a new QB and I ASSume transition to a slightly different offense. The reality of our schedule, I can see us losing 5 (Oregon, Wisky, OSU, PSU, Iowa) and the two toss-ups (Minnie and NW). I think if we lose 5, the wheels will come off the wagon. Riley has shown an improvement in the "managing" aspect, but we still need work in other areas........

It's really a crap shoot. If the QB (one of the 3) lights it up, we can establish a dominant run game, find a TE, get a speed rusher on the edge (holes the staff and fan base know we have) it might be a surprising season. If we can't, I think we are in for more losses than expected.

• Fire 1

If we go "Air Raid" Riley will get fired.

Good thing our offense isn't "air raid".
No, it's balanced because......

........why not?

The goal is to be balanced. Not every game is going to have the same ratio for one reason or another.

But you understand that.

I understand that it is totally unnecessary and is why the offense has been inconsistent at best the past 2 years.

Not sure what it is that you think you understand...

........why not?

The goal is to be balanced. Not every game is going to have the same ratio for one reason or another.

But you understand that.

I understand that it is totally unnecessary and is why the offense has been inconsistent at best the past 2 years.

Not sure you understand.....

........why not?

But you understand that.

Most people on here understand that our offensive identity is ultimately to be balanced, not the mythical "West Coast" offense that keeps getting brought up, or even the "air raid" offense.

Some refuse, currently you, to believe this because you choose to be difficult and because your previous "knowledge" of Riley's coaching philosophy prevents you from accepting their willingness to change ideals to achieve a winning program.

But if you truly desire to continue being snarky for the sake of being snarky, please continue.

I understand that the first 2 years of the Riley hire haven't done a hole hell of a lot to change the minds of those who weren't fans of the hire, that is perfectly reasonable.

I also understand that you need at least 3 years, typically no more than 4, to truly get a good sample of what a coach can ultimately do with a program. Next year the schedule isn't easier but we get more games at home. We also get more players on the field that fit the vision Riley and staff have.

So ultimately, if next years results take a step back, we will be able to say "Maybe this isn't going to work out. I'm not willing to make that judgement after a season where our Senior QB played hobbled AF and was largely inconsistent for 4 years anywaus.

........why not?

But you understand that.

who's expert opinion is it that being Balanced on offense is completely unnecessary? And how does simple being balanced on offense cause inconsistency? What can you say about efficient balanced offenses? Are those just anomalies?

........why not?

But you understand that.

who's expert opinion is it that being Balanced on offense is completely unnecessary?

Tom Osborne's.

And how does simple being balanced on offense cause inconsistency?

Jack of all trades master of none. Let's not forget the media reports from last year's fall camp in which offensively they worked exclusively on the pass game. It's a major reason why our run game has been mostly underwhelming.

........why not?

But you understand that.

Most people on here understand that our offensive identity is ultimately to be balanced, not the mythical "West Coast" offense that keeps getting brought up, or even the "air raid" offense.[/ quote]

I'm glad that Guy educated you on the west coast offense.

Some refuse, currently you, to believe this because you choose to be difficult and because your previous "knowledge" of Riley's coaching philosophy prevents you from accepting their willingness to change ideals to achieve a winning

I know they're going to be balanced. Do you understand your own posts or are you arguing just to argue?

They run a junk, gimmicky offense. That won't change. Not only did I actually pay attention to what Riley's offenses have done for 20 plus years, I'm paying attention to who and what they are trying to recruit now.

Whenever the chips are down they fall back on the passing game. It's cost us plenty of games the past two years and it will cost us more going forward.

So you're going to go with this stance:

-Riley and staff will not adapt to win

-When in doubt, chuck it around always

-A balanced offense is "gimmicky" and can't win with the right personnel

That pretty much sum it up? 1) They have already shown they want a stronger run game to compete in the Big Ten. 2) We had one of the best receiving corps in the country, when down throwing it should have been acceptable. 3) Sorry it's not your preference, there's nothing you can do about that except complain and you're wearing that luxury out.

The best case scenario is 9 wins. Chances are maybe 1 in 5 of this.

The worst case is perhaps 4 wins. Chances are maybe 1 in 4 of this.

The more likely outcomes are between 6 and 8 wins and in my view most likely is 7 wins.

I don't want to be a doom and gloomer but based on this season's outcome, there is most likely going to be a drop off next year. We return so few of the better contributors with the graduations of Tommy, Westy, Moore, Reily, Carter and a few others off of a very disappointing and 'mediocre' offense. The defensive losses are less troublesome as Dzuris, and Bando were 'average' at best. Gerry did some good things but in the end I can't rate him as a 'great' player. In fact, I don't think one can really state unequivocally that we had ANY 'great' players this year. Westy would be the biggest vote getter as being 'great' but I am not so sure. We shall see where he lands in the NFL draft. I would guess somewhere around the late 3rd round - admittedly he doesn't fit my mold as anything close to an ideal NFL protype guy. I would question his size and speed and those will hurt his overall blocking ability. He has great hands and runs pretty good routes most of the time but it is hard to project into the NFL level with film of him catching Armstrong throws.

Newby will likely go undrafted and might not get a free agent shot (I question his speed, and doubt his power, agility and his elusiveness will overcome that. His receiving skills were supposedly good but we saw very little so IDK.

In one way, one can argue that we graduate 30 seniors but none should be really viewed as hard to replace. However, the depth was obviously lacking big time as injuries to starters continue to plague us and when we lose three or four, our entire offensive production suffers greatly. I would say the same for defense across several spots. But, we may well be better on defense in '17 than offense.

• Fire 1