How is this possible?

Elf

Game after game this year the team comes alive in the fourth quarter, sometimes after abysmal play in the previous three quarters. How can we play so well, blocking, running, passing, tackling etc etc, in the last quarter of the game but we can't put it together before that?

Maybe this is just a quirk of this team?

Game after game this year the team comes alive in the fourth quarter, sometimes after abysmal play in the previous three quarters. How can we play so well, blocking, running, passing, tackling etc etc, in the last quarter of the game but we can't put it together before that?

That is sort of weird. I've never seen another team that slept through the first three quarters then came alive in the fourth like this team. Happened nearly every game this year. Weird. :dunno:

I don't know if NU played so great in the 4th quarter today. NU got a FG and then a turnover on the ensuing kickoff. Yes, the offense took advantage of the short field, but it only took 4 plays for Tennessee to score a TD and make it a 14 point game again.

The offense came alive for a bit and then went to crap again. Our line seemed to get worse as the game went on and we finally gave that DE his sack to pass Reggie White.

For years now we've complained about the lines, and the o-line especially. It's really hard to run a successful offense when your line isn't getting it done.

I don't know if NU played so great in the 4th quarter today. NU got a FG and then a turnover on the ensuing kickoff. Yes, the offense took advantage of the short field, but it only took 4 plays for Tennessee to score a TD and make it a 14 point game again.

The offense came alive for a bit and then went to crap again. Our line seemed to get worse as the game went on and we finally gave that DE his sack to pass Reggie White.

For years now we've complained about the lines, and the o-line especially. It's really hard to run a successful offense when your line isn't getting it done.

Oh yeah, the line really struggled this year, as it in recent history.

I know Riley and Cav wanted to redshirt the true freshmen and build for the long term, but I don't see how those young guys wouldn't have been better than the guys that have played for the last half of the season. I think that was an error by the staff this year.

That is sort of weird. I've never seen another team that slept through the first three quarters then came alive in the fourth like this team. Happened nearly every game this year. Weird. :dunno:

Right?

I know Riley and Cav wanted to redshirt the true freshmen and build for the long term, but I don't see how those young guys wouldn't have been better than the guys that have played for the last half of the season. I think that was an error by the staff this year.

Thats the excuse I heard as well. Right now, it seems like an excuse. Just wait until next year. Just wait till Riley has his guys. Just wait til the QB whisperer works with the QB......Dude, this is NU. Not OSU. 9 wins and blowouts suck for this school. It made you a god in OSU, but year 2, you are in a line of dudes who didn't cut it at NU. It doesn't get much more simple than that. Building for the future my a$$. Thats a cop out excuse. What other Power 5 school has ever said we are saving all of these world beaters to build for the future. You know the best way to build for the future? Friggin win. Kids want to play for a winner. Kids want to be winners......

Same thing with no real back up to TA. Fyfe is a gutsy kid. No doubt. But he was a less than 50% passer last year and this. The QB whisperer couldnt get POB ready. So next year you have Lee with 2 yrs, POB with 4 years and Gebbia with 4 yrs unless he redshirts... Seems safe to me you couldve burned POB's shirt day one to get a guy prepared for the future (and still had plenty of guys ready of the future). Again, poor roster management, development etc IMO.....

(rant not aimed at the posters above)

Early in the season, I think that NU was able to win games in the 4th quarter by having more talent and depth. Even in Wisconsin NU was able to come back in the 4th to force OT, but that was helped by 2 bad INT's by Wisky QB's. By the last month rolled around, the 4th quarter magic was done, other than Armstrong's heroics against Minnesota.

Thats the excuse I heard as well. Right now, it seems like an excuse. Just wait until next year. Just wait till Riley has his guys. Just wait til the QB whisperer works with the QB......Dude, this is NU. Not OSU. 9 wins and blowouts suck for this school. It made you a god in OSU, but year 2, you are in a line of dudes who didn't cut it at NU. It doesn't get much more simple than that. Building for the future my a$$. Thats a cop out excuse. What other Power 5 school has ever said we are saving all of these world beaters to build for the future. You know the best way to build for the future? Friggin win. Kids want to play for a winner. Kids want to be winners......

(rant not aimed at the posters above)

I agree that Cav and Riley mismanaged the o-line this year. Yes, they will have a year of development under their belts next year, but they still won't have game experience. I think they could have been developed and gained game experience by playing this year. I dont like how Riley has played the "long game" during his tenure at NU.