Thoughts on Bowl Game

*Not a thread to talk about firing coaches

QB: I thought Fyfe did an admirable job. I can say this because I know he was a walk-on QB with no time in the pocket. Good on him. Should prove to guys down the line that anything you once committed yourself to doing, might be worth sticking out. Ended his career with 3 starts, which most walk-ons don't receive.

RB: Newby had a couple nice plays before leaving. RB room should be interesting next year.

WR: Very happy for Reilly. Like him a lot as a WR when his hands are working.DPE gave me a lot to like as well. For the first time, I actually thought he looked like a WR out there.

TE: Anyone else see Carter wave Cotton back to the sidelines? Glad Carter had an okay game after big drop early.

OL: OBoy. I know Barnett is elite, but still unacceptable. Hope Farniok is the real deal, or that we land one of the hogs we are in on.

• Fire 1

I think for the most part it was about what I expected. I don't think either team was super excited to be there which probably accounted for the ultra lame first quarter but once the game got going it picked up.

I will say this and I have said this for two years now but D. Young will end up going down as one of the most forgettable 4 year starters in Husker history.

I think for the most part it was about what I expected. I don't think either team was super excited to be there which probably accounted for the ultra lame first quarter but once the game got going it picked up.

I will say this and I have said this for two years now but D. Young will end up going down as one of the most forgettable 4 year starters in Husker history.

Jay Foreman is not high on D. Young. Hopefully someone can beat him out next year.

Jay Foreman is not high on D. Young. Hopefully someone can beat him out next year.

Unfortunately, I agree. I think he is a situational player. Just haven't decided on a good situation for him to play in. He can't tackle in space and doesn't move well enough in coverage.

I will say that he has had flashes in the box of being a solid player, but really struggles on the outside once in a few plays.

I thought I heard either on the radio or on the news that Nebraska was having some tough, spirited practices prior to the bowl. That made it seem like the team was into this game.

I was at the game, and the Vols were definitely happy to be there. It was a home game for them, their seniors were cranked, and the Tennessee fans are vocal and enthusiastic. I think our whole problem was a distinct lack of veteran team leadership and the remaining Pelini players just didn't contribute noticeably.

From the rumors I am hearing, this is completely accurate.

I was at the game, and the Vols were definitely happy to be there. It was a home game for them, their seniors were cranked, and the Tennessee fans are vocal and enthusiastic. I think our whole problem was a distinct lack of veteran team leadership and the remaining Pelini players just didn't contribute noticeably.

Pelini players?

Aren't they playing in a championship game next weekend?

• Fire 1

Oz looked really good.

Kudos to Fyfe. He was beat like a drum all night.

OL-Like you said, the young guys better be ready or we will have a rough season next year.

DL- Need to hit the Juco ranks hard for some immediate help (especially DE)

LB-We need to copy McBride's philosophy. Speed, then hitters then size. They can't fly, don't recruit them. Ours have no lateral speed and take horrific angles

DB's- If not for UT drops, the score would've been much worse. It would appear that our CB's this year (and next) are not good enough to press...If true, Banker needs to go to more zone with help over the top. See Clemson last night

WR-Reilly performed some great circus catches. We will miss him and Westy. Anxious to see what an accurate QB can do with the young talent.

Carter-a guy with potential never reached. I really think he will shine at the combine as teams see his potential and upside.

RB-overall next year should be good

I'd love to see what Miles can do next year as a FB. With a struggling OL, a good FB would help tremendously.

I don't understand the whole Bo's players thing. If I was a player, I would recognize my legacy is not attached to a coach, but to my team. Not playing "well" to get back at Riley only makes you the losing a$$............ Hopefully next year, the mystical hold that Bo still has on this team will be gone. I can guarantee these "holdouts", Bo, if he cares about you would want you to win....He's still making millions from NU...

I thought I heard either on the radio or on the news that Nebraska was having some tough, spirited practices prior to the bowl. That made it seem like the team was into this game.

Pelini players?

Aren't they playing in a championship game next weekend?

I don't follow the smaller college ranks, I suppose he might be doing okay at Mudville Flats U. On the other hand, he's also playing with the recruits of a former coach. Pelini's coaching problems were closely associated with his horrible recruiting results. Also, his obvious character deficits IMO.

• Fire 1

I want to add that Fyfe looked terrific. He didn't have much time in the pocket but I would have liked to have seen much more of him during the regular season, he seemed to be the smarter of the two QB's. Dang, though, that pass blocking was a real problem. Those guys weren't good at it, they were more suited to run blocking and couldn't seem to make the transition. Maybe next year, as new recruits to this system gain experience and numbers.

I thought I saw that T.A. was suited up and looked ready to play. Was Ryker's starting role a coaching decision?

I want to add that Fyfe looked terrific. He didn't have much time in the pocket but I would have liked to have seen much more of him during the regular season, he seemed to be the smarter of the two QB's. Dang, though, that pass blocking was a real problem. Those guys weren't good at it, they were more suited to run blocking and couldn't seem to make the transition. Maybe next year, as new recruits to this system gain experience and numbers.

I thought I saw that T.A. was suited up and looked ready to play. Was Ryker's starting role a coaching decision?

If standing on the sidelines in sweats is the same as "suited up" then yeah TA definitely could have played.