How did Washington do it? (Comparison between NU and UW)

Since 1958... Alabama has been relentless at searching for championship coaches. No mamby- pamby excuses from Alabama. Either you produce a national championship for Alabama or your gone.

True that Bama has had a lot of coaches come and go. But it's not like they've been a perennial powerhouse all that time. In the past twenty years they've had six losing seasons--three of them caused by vacated wins due to cheating. Saban has won them four MNCs. Will probly win another one this year. Aside from Saban's teams, Bama has zero national championships during that 20 year period.

What does all this mean? Well for one, if you take away Saban's achievements, Bama hasn't really been that impressive over the past 20 years. I wonder how Saban would have done at a place like Florida? Or Texas? Or Nebraska?

?

11 going on 12 National Championships since 1958.

4 going on 5 National Championships since 2007.

I'm certainly not here to heap praise on another football program... but what I don't understand is why, for 20 years, we've refused to learn anything from other successful programs. Tom Osborne learned from other programs (Oklahoma) and put that knowledge to good use.

Our refusal to learn is our biggest problem holding us back.

When you bolded the text above you forgot to bold the portion immediately before it. It completely changes the meaning of what I said:

if you take away Saban's achievements, Bama hasn't really been that impressive over the past 20 years.

If you go back long enough in time, NU was a very impressive program. But the last twenty years? Not so much. Bama has been much the same way. They're on top now. With Saban. But they've had long droughts of mediocrity too.

Since 1958... Alabama has been relentless at searching for championship coaches. No mamby- pamby excuses from Alabama. Either you produce a national championship for Alabama or your gone.

True that Bama has had a lot of coaches come and go. But it's not like they've been a perennial powerhouse all that time. In the past twenty years they've had six losing seasons--three of them caused by vacated wins due to cheating. Saban has won them four MNCs. Will probly win another one this year. Aside from Saban's teams, Bama has zero national championships during that 20 year period.

What does all this mean? Well for one, if you take away Saban's achievements, Bama hasn't really been that impressive over the past 20 years. I wonder how Saban would have done at a place like Florida? Or Texas? Or Nebraska?

?

I'm certainly not here to heap praise on another football program... but what I don't understand is why, for 20 years, we've refused to learn anything from other successful programs. Tom Osborne learned from other programs (Oklahoma) and put that knowledge to good use.

When you bolded the text above you forgot to bold the portion immediately before it. It completely changes the meaning of what I said:

if you take away Saban's achievements, Bama hasn't really been that impressive over the past 20 years.

If you go back long enough in time, NU was a very impressive program. But the last twenty years? Not so much. Bama has been much the same way. They're on top now. With Saban. But they've had long droughts of mediocrity too.

LOL

If you take away Osborne's achievements...

?

LOL

Oh, you must be looking at the last four years of Osborne's record. He didn't win any MNCs his first 20.

If Osborne coached Nebraska today there is no way he'd be given 20 years without some fans wanting to see him fired.

?

LOL

Oh, you must be looking at the last four years of Osborne's record. He didn't win any MNCs his first 20.

If Osborne coached Nebraska today there is no way he'd be given 20 years without some fans wanting to see him fired.

I guess if Osborne would have coached at Alabama he would have hit their brick wall about 1976.

We should have done that.

From the recruiting side, let me point out a complete disparity:

Their state produces more talent, but not by much

This is a blatantly false statement - Washington has produced 2 five star athletes and 11 four star athletes in the last 3 years. Of those, Washington signed NINE four-star athletes.

Not only is that a ridiculous talent production, it is a great signing rate. These are kids who, just like in Nebraska, grew up loving UW and wanting to play at UW. In a sales sense, they are easy signs. Minimal effort needed by the coaches. Coaches can pick up NINE of the best athletes in the country and focus on other targets.

For comparison, Nebraska hasn't produced a single four star recruit in the last 3 years. NOT ONE. Don't try to tell people we are the same in relative nearby talent.

Excellent post. UW is also a beautiful campus right in the middle of Seattle. Seattle is a big city with lots to do. Seahawks. Mariners.

Stop with the QB complaining ! Good God Tommy was a 4 star recruit who set records at a university where Tommy Armstrong ,Eric Crouch, Scott Frost ,Turner Gill, Steve Taylor, etc etc all played and excelled.

He was stuck behind a porous offensive line that would have gotten Tom Brady killed, forced into a system that didn't utilize his considerable talents and even tried to play injured to help this team ! Did he make mistakes ? Yes plenty. But given those factors and playing the hardest position on the field, on the biggest stage, under the greatest scrutiny, only an elite few really succeed anyway.

He played his heart out for this university and deserves nothing but love from us in return. I cant think of a single game he lost completely by himself but i can think of a few he had a major role in winning.

Im not knocking tommy, But is he a top 15 NFL draft pick? No but Browning is and will be..

NFL draft status and passing numbers aren't the only things that matter though. None of the best quarterbacks we've had made it in the NFL or had great passing numbers . They usually played behind great offensive lines and had plays called to best use their abilities . I don't think tommy got the benefit of either of those things .

?

LOL

I guess if Osborne would have coached at Alabama he would have hit their brick wall about 1976.

You just don't get it.

Alabama is just as accomplished as Nebraska when it comes to holding on long term to great coaches.

Paul Bear Bryant was head coach at Alabama = 25 years

Gene Stallings was head coach at Alabama = 7 years

NIck Saban has been head coach at Alabama = 10 years and counting (25 years?) LOL

Alabama plays a complete game when it comes to coach hiring.

Longevity is a REWARD for performance. It's not something that you hand out like Halloween candy. It has to be earned.

There should be no talk of offering longevity to our current coaches based on their results so far. In fact their results so far should put them squarely on the hot seat next year. Time to stop making excuses.

?

LOL

You just don't get it.

Alabama is just as accomplished as Nebraska when it comes to holding on long term to great coaches.

NIck Saban has been head coach at Alabama = 10 years and counting (25 years?) LOL

Longevity is a REWARD for performance. It's not something that you hand out like Halloween candy. It has to be earned.

There should be no talk of offering longevity to our current coaches based on their results so far. In fact their results so far should put them squarely on the hot seat next year. Time to stop making excuses.

Bear Bryant won a MNC in year 4. By year 8 he had three MNCs. Tom Osborne won his first in year 22.

And your point is?

?

LOL

You just don't get it.

Bear Bryant won a MNC in year 4. By year 8 he had three MNCs. Tom Osborne won his first in year 22.

And your point is?

"There should be no talk of offering longevity to our current coaches based on their results so far. In fact their results so far should put them squarely on the hot seat next year. Time to stop making excuses."

That was my point.

Maybe I should have made that more clear.

When Bo's seat first started to get warm I (along with a few others) dropped Petersen's name in threads discussing who we should pursue. We were laughed at and ridiculed by some know-it-all fans who assured us that Petersen would never leave Boise. We see how that turned out. Instead when the time came we hired the anti-Bo without being concerned whether or not he was an elite coach. So now we're stuck languishing in mediocrity until his contract is up. Look at teams like Oklahoma, Bama, Washington, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State. They have provided the blueprint; we need to follow it. A big name who can attract top recruits to Lincoln is the only way to get this program back to elite status.

In addition, Riley could finish 5-7 next season (entirely possible) and he's not going anywhere. Eichorst will never fire him, because that would reflect negatively on him.