Saunders

Here's another data point:

Notre Dame Scoring Defense

2010 #23

2011 #24

2012 #2

2013 #27

link

The only stat I care about it when it comes to defense.
It's really the only one that matters.

Well sort of but I bet you wouldn't find many teams with a good scoring defense rank if they're giving up a bunch of big plays and have other crappy defensive stats. Those good scoring defense stats don't happen in a vacuum.

Totally agree.

But, the idea of bending a bit is to get teams to the 30, where the field gets crazy small, from there that is where real DC's make their money. 4 trips inside the 30 with say 4 FG attempts and one miss...9 points.

That is why so many of these guys try to play it safe until the 30 yard line or so where it is much easier to get aggressive because of the lack of field to cover.

So a lot of those guys don't mind yards given up.

I would just like to have a defense that is top 20 in basically everything...but I am selfish

2010 #23

2011 #24

2012 #2

2013 #27

link

Well sort of but I bet you wouldn't find many teams with a good scoring defense rank if they're giving up a bunch of big plays and have other crappy defensive stats. Those good scoring defense stats don't happen in a vacuum.

I think I said the elsewhere but points is the only thing that matters as far as winning individual games. But yards allowed is a better indication of how effective the defense is going forward over the long term.

The reason is there are many other things that the defense has (basically) no effect on that affect points scored. Untimely penalties, missed FGs, dropped passes, etc. Over a few game span those things can skew the points allowed. But giving up yards and allowing the offense more scoring chances will likely catch up with you.

Generally speaking, they should equal out. But I think yards per play is a better indication of how effective a defense is.

2010 #23

2011 #24

2012 #2

2013 #27

link

The only one that matters is scoring defense.

Now, if you are giving up more points than you should be, then you look deeper into other stats such as yards per play, number of big plays, turnovers...etc. to see why you are giving up so many points.

But, the one stat at the top that means everything, is scoring defense.

2010 #23

2011 #24

2012 #2

2013 #27

link

The only one that matters is scoring defense.

Now, if you are giving up more points than you should be, then you look deeper into other stats such as yards per play, number of big plays, turnovers...etc. to see why you are giving up so many points.

But, the one stat at the top that means everything, is scoring defense.

Like I said, sort of. I don't want to get into a chicken or egg discussion but the scoring defense stat is pretty much a result of doing the other defensive things right. Sure, at the end of the day, it's the most important but it's usually not an outlier. If it's good, there's a lot of other good defensive stats that are driving it. You show me a team that has a sh#tty scoring defense and I'll show you a team that has some other pretty crappy defensive stats. So, all of them are important.

• Fire 1

"No Crease" is No Joke

Taken as a four-year chunk, Diaco's Notre Dame defenses gave up an explosive play 4.31 percent of the time. That was second nationally during that span, trailing only Florida State and one spot ahead of -- drumroll, please -- Iowa.

http://hailvarsity.com/s/864/3-traits-of-a-bob-diaco-defense

Iowa's record during those 4 years just to put things into perspective.

2010: 8-5

2011 7-6

2012 4-8

2013 8-5

That's great that Iowa didn't give up a ton of big plays during those 4 years but it didn't necessarily translate into them doing great things or even close to it. Just sayin'.

We barely beat the 2011 and 2012 teams, and got mudholed by the 2013 team.
Actually we were beating Iowa 20-0 before a late score with like 3 minutes left....so barely beating them is a stretch. I agree with the other two parts though

Just to play devil's advocate...

Scoring defense isn't the only thing that matters. What if your D lets the opposing team get to your 30 or 40 every drive and you're constantly starting drives from your own 5 yard line, thus decrease your scoring offense? Obviously scoring D is a huge stat but making the other team punt from their end of the field is huge too and that's total defense.

• Fire 1

"No Crease" is No Joke

Taken as a four-year chunk, Diaco's Notre Dame defenses gave up an explosive play 4.31 percent of the time. That was second nationally during that span, trailing only Florida State and one spot ahead of -- drumroll, please -- Iowa.

http://hailvarsity.com/s/864/3-traits-of-a-bob-diaco-defense

Iowa's record during those 4 years just to put things into perspective.

2010: 8-5

2011 7-6

2012 4-8

2013 8-5

That's great that Iowa didn't give up a ton of big plays during those 4 years but it didn't necessarily translate into them doing great things or even close to it. Just sayin'.

We barely beat the 2011 and 2012 teams, and got mudholed by the 2013 team.
Actually we were beating Iowa 20-0 before a late score with like 3 minutes left....so barely beating them is a stretch. I agree with the other two parts though

You're right. I remember it being a (somewhat) boring game, and was thinking it was a one score win.