Trump Foreign Policy

5 hours ago, NM11046 said:

Everytime he throws Tillerson or Kelley or etc under the bus I try to think that maybe, just maybe that increases the odds of them being on the right side of the 25th amendment.  

yes, I thought he was also pretty wacky as in verifiable :ahhhhhhhh with his response to the PR San Juan mayor.  She's asking for help - stating people are dying and he basically slaps her in the mouth wt his tweet - saying PR needs to not be so dependent on everyone else.  HELLO: IT IS AN ISLAND THAT GOT BASICALLY WIPED OFF THE MAP - THEY ARE 100% DEPENDENT AT THIS TIME AND NEED THE REST OF THE COUNTRY'S HELP - HINT TO TRUMP: THEY MAY NOT BE A STATE BUT THEY ARE AMERICAN

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/john-mccain-petagon-nominees-hold-up-more-information/2017/10/03/id/817459/

McCain's committee is holding up nominees because Trump has yet to give specifics about his Afgan policy.  Just like his campaign, he is all words but no depth and not forthcoming wt details. 

In the six weeks since the president made his announcement, this committee and the Congress, more broadly, still does not know many of the crucial details of this strategy. This is totally unacceptable. I repeat, this is totally unacceptable," McCain said at the committee hearing.

• 2 weeks later...

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Am I the only one having flash backs of years ago when our President and his administration was telling us the Iraq had weapons of mass destruction even though the rest of the world was telling us they didn't along with the organization that was in charge of certifying that they didn't?

Nope. You're not.

I'm getting pretty cynical about the state of politics. But I'm pretty sure it's not a coincidence that they announced the cancellation of the CSR payments and the Iran Deal thing on the same day. I think he was looking to bury the former with the latter.

I think Trump is a pretty low-functioning narcissist with really poor judgment and impulse control at this point. But I somehow think he was lucid enough during W's administration to realize what the initial bump from war did for his approval ratings. Given that is the lens through which Trump views the world (popularity), I'm of the mind he probably thinks war can cover up for a lot of domestic ills.

God help us if we go to war with Iran or North Korea. But given how his domestic agenda is going, I feel like that is where we're headed.

If he starts another war, against Iran, it will be the downfall of our country. We will have almost the entire middle east pissed off at us; millions of people with anti US sentiments,  an entire region in chaos, and a 3rd major war on the books. Like it or not, Iran is probably the most stable force in the region right now.

The Iranian people do not hate the US. They have quite a lot in common with us. Their government is the problem. The way to break the government is to open up to the people of Iran. Let them see our compassion, freedoms, and opportunities. In time they will push back against their government. The embers were smoldering not long ago, and Obama opened the door  but he never fully backed a revolt by the people. Still he did more to decrease tensions with Iran than probably any president.

Edited by ZRod
4 hours ago, ZRod said:

If he starts another war, against Iran, it will be the downfall of our country. We will have almost the entire middle east pissed off at us. Millions of people with anti US sentiments,  an entire region in chaos, and a 3rd major war on the books.

The Iranian people do not hate the US. They have quite a lot in common with us. Their government is the problem. The way to break the government is to open up to the people of Iran. Let them see our compassion, freedoms, and opportunities. In time they will push back against their government. The embers were smoldering not long ago, and Obama opened the door  but he never fully backed a revolt by the people. Still he did more to decrease tensions with Iran tha  probably any president.

Got a touch of insomnia tonight. Dozed off early and now finding it hard to get back to sleep. Gonna be harder now that I just found this on Twitter...

WTF?! If anybody doesn't know, Bolton is a batsh#t crazy neocon that was one of the primary architects of the War in Iraq. The man would probably try to solve a squeaky door hinge by bombing it. He was originally supposed to be a Deputy something or other in the Trump WH but someone smarter than Trump luckily blocked it.

Hannity is... Hannity. A TV host.

Neither of them should be advising anyone competent on foreign policy. Least of all POTUS.

Sad thing though is you're right. Many fine Iranians emigrated here, especially important professionals like doctors and scientists. They're mostly a great, peaceful people who left because they wanted a better life away from their sh#tty government. You know, like most immigrants. They way that Trump perverted the perception of the immigrant is one of the saddest, most infuriating aspects of his legacy.

As you said, the people are beginning to grow restless over there and yearn for more than they're getting out of their gov't. Let's hope this doesn't arrest that progress...

This is a disgraceful, disgusting, vile human being who never should have gotten close to the White House. It was plain that electing Trump would empower guys just like him.

We were morons, complete and absolute imbeciles. And everyone is paying for it.

• Plus1 2

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/global-opinions/the-most-popular-parlor-game-in-washington-who-will-replace-tillerson/2017/10/22/9aa2f00a-b5d3-11e7-a908-a3470754bbb9_story.html?utm_term=.9f87543922d0

If or should I say when Tillerson leaves - leading candidates are Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley and CIA Director Mike Pompeo .

My guess would be Pompeo, who is more in line wt Trump on issues.  Haley would be wise to stay away from internal WH issues, being that close to the president, so that she isn't stained as much  by his downfall - if and when that occurs as noted by the article.

I do think she might be more productive in the role. As a governor, she has  broader experience in working within the structure of govt. Tillerson seems a bit like a fish out of water.   He has been reducing the State Dept down to a shell of its former self - under Trump's design.  We are simultaneously making policy statements (trade, environmental, Iran, NK) that put us out of sync with the rest of the world, while also cutting back our State Dept - the dept by which we communicate our positions and negotiate to have those positions known and accepted by the world.  So if we take a position that is contrary to world opinion, we should have a vigorous 'sales force' (state dept) to communicate the reasonableness of those position (assumption would be that the positions are reasonable - many of Trump's are not) and sell (convince) other nations of the rightness of these contrary positions.  Anytime one makes a strategic change, esp a large change, the battle is won or lost via the communication channel. And that channel has typically been the State Dept.  I know Trump sees himself as a 1 person foreign affairs department which can communicate via twitter, but he is sadly mistaken. 

As some old sage once stated: 

He who doctors himself has an fool for a patient and a idiot for a doctor. 

• Plus1 2

People that complain about conflicts of interest aren't just talking into the wind. This is a problem. And yet absolutely zero is being done about any of it. This is without a doubt the most crooked administration in recent U.S. history, if not ever. Everybody is just looking out for themselves & getting theirs. A bunch of grifters, at the average American's expense.

Edited by dudeguyy
  • Plus1 1