The Republican Utopia

11 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Thats been the most annoying part of this process. All the whining and shock of how she has been treated. These things have been a disaster for a while.

There should always be pushback and people complaining about congress when they act like this.

So....by your comment, you're upset at the people complaining about congress instead of being upset at our elected officials acting like idiots?

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

There should always be pushback and people complaining about congress when they act like this.

So....by your comment, you're upset at the people complaining about congress instead of being upset at our elected officials acting like idiots?

Im not upset at all, I just find it humorous that they weren’t all the worried about the charades during the last few of these processes. Like I said, they’re a s#!t show. But, hypocrisy can be found aplenty on both sides of this, so….

Though, I do think the ‘define a woman’ question was a fair question. The answer to that matters.

• Plus1 2
Just now, B.B. Hemingway said:

Im not upset at all, I just find it humorous that they weren’t all the worried about the charades during the last few of these processes. Like I said, they’re a s#!t show. But, hypocrisy can be found aplenty on both sides of this, so….

There were people complaining about it then too.

• Plus1 1
34 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Though, I do think the ‘define a woman’ question was a fair question. The answer to that matters.

I agree about the hypocrisy on both sides. But I’ll disagree with ‘define a woman’ being a fair question. We both know that’s a loaded gotcha question and really is not pertinent to being an impartial judge no matter what side a person takes on the issue. She could share our definition of a woman or she could have a wilder definition than anything we’ve been seeing lately. Neither one should have any effect on her doing her job properly.

• Plus1 1

36 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

The 'defining a woman" question was a stupid question.  No matter how she answered that Republicans were going to jump all over her.  I think she handled it appropriately. 

5 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I agree about the hypocrisy on both sides. But I’ll disagree with ‘define a woman’ being a fair question. We both know that’s a loaded gotcha question and really is not pertinent to being an impartial judge no matter what side a person takes on the issue. She could share our definition of a woman or she could have a wilder definition than anything we’ve been seeing lately. Neither one should have any effect on her doing her job properly.

It’s fair question, because it’s a very topical and dividing in this country at the moment. I don’t think the Republicans handled it appropriately (though as expected), but her answer was also poor. It’s very clear what a woman is and isn’t. Her answer was about keeping her nose clean, and pandering to a small segment of the population. She may not be a biologist but she knows what a woman is.

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, Republicans complaining about the other nominations and then acting like this means nothing.

What part of both sides being hypocritical are you not understanding?

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

It’s fair question, because it’s a very topical and dividing in this country at the moment. I don’t think the Republicans handled it appropriately (though as expected), but her answer was also poor. It’s very clear what a woman is and isn’t. Her answer was about keeping her nose clean, and pandering to a small segment of the population. She may not be a biologist but she knows what a woman is.

No matter what her answer is or was, this question is meaningless in the grand scheme of things.  She has proven to be more than qualified for the position and people just need to move on.

Republicans used the question for nothing more than a....a ha....gotcha.  Well, congrats, they got what they wanted....even though it's stupid and meaningless.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

No matter what her answer is or was, this question is meaningless in the grand scheme of things.  She has proven to be more than qualified for the position and people just need to move on.

Republicans used the question for nothing more than a....a ha....gotcha.  Well, congrats, they got what they wanted....even though it's stupid and meaningless.

She’s an impressive woman, no doubt. I’m not going to be one to hold it against her that she was chosen because she’s a black woman, because she is definitely qualified from what I can tell. We’ll have to agree to disagree on the woman question. I think it had to be asked. She gave them the answer they wanted, but that doesn’t make her answer any less ridiculous.

• Plus1 3

8 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

We’ll have to agree to disagree on the woman question. I think it had to be asked. She gave them the answer they wanted, but that doesn’t make her answer any less ridiculous.

Regardless of how you answer the question, her answer was refusing to participate in the gamesmanship of these partisan sound byte charades. There's nothing ridiculous about that, in fact it's exactly what judges should strive to do imo.

• Plus1 4
1 minute ago, Lorewarn said:

Regardless of how you answer the question, her answer was refusing to participate in the gamesmanship of these partisan sound byte charades. There's nothing ridiculous about that, in fact it's exactly what judges should strive to do imo.

Exactly. And, people trying to make a big deal out of this answer are just showing their colors.

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

What would of been controversial about saying that she did know what a woman was? What could of Republicans possibly done with that answer? Pretending that it takes a biologist to define a woman is absolutely ridiculous. By pretending she doesn’t know what a woman is, she’s just playing the charade game with the other side of the aisle.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
28 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

What would of been controversial about saying that she did know what a woman was? What could of Republicans possibly done with that answer? Pretending that it takes a biologist to define a woman is absolutely ridiculous. By pretending she doesn’t know what a woman is, she’s just playing the charade game with the other side of the aisle.

The problem with the question is, in the current day climate, she cannot give an answer that won’t trigger somebody. Therefore it is not fair. On top of that it is not important no matter how topical in society. I cannot think of a single legal issue that would involve the SC and that it would matter if it was a man or woman or any of the myriad possibilities of genders or sexual preferences. What a person is or isn’t should not matter one iota to a SC justice.

Maybe I could be persuaded to change my opinion if you gave me an example of a case they might hear in which it does matter.

I will agree her answer was not optimal, seeking a biologist. She could have shut them down on the line of questioning a little better but she shouldn’t have to. The thing is, that is much more of problem for the people asking the loaded question. Like I said, no answer she could give would satisfy everyone.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

What was the purpose of the question?