The Republican Utopia

Republicans to kill U.S. rules on corruption, environment, labor and guns next week

Under the Congressional Review Act, Congress can use simple majority votes to stop recent regulations in their tracks. The timing in the law means that any rules that became final after May 31 could go on the chopping block.

House of Representatives Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, the second-most powerful Republican in the chamber, had said he would start using that law quickly after President Donald Trump was inaugurated to help roll back regulations the party considers abusive. House Republicans have been on a blitz of regulatory reform, passing bills to drive down regulations' costs and create more congressional oversight.

tl;dr: The Republicans want to make it:

Easier to get guns

Harder to report government ethics violations

Easier for companies to pollute and harder to report it or get information about it

Harder to understand the relationships between businesses and government officials vis a vis the fees they pay to get mineral exploration rights

In short, the Republicans are using simple majority measures to expand corruption, pollution and malfeasance and at the same time make it much harder for the citizens to learn what they're doing.

• Thanks 3
  • Fire 6

Exactly, BRB. Our system of government works best with checks & balances. An unchecked political party will run amok. We're seeing evidence of that right here, right now. Chicago is kinda another example of an unchecked political party. Chicago city government is synonymous with corruption. But who's there to keep the Democrats in check?

• Fire 3

Our capacity for discernment is truly eroding. BRI and BRB have rapidly become indistinguishable from one another. JJ is now ED.

Not to make light of these dark times. I keep going back to redistricting as the root of this turn for the GOP. The sheer scope of the gerrymandering seems to make the idea of accountability quite a laugh.

Exactly, BRB. Our system of government works best with checks & balances. An unchecked political party will run amok. We're seeing evidence of that right here, right now. Chicago is kinda another example of an unchecked political party. Chicago city government is synonymous with corruption. But who's there to keep the Democrats in check?

I love it when you agree with me.

• Fire 1

I love it when you agree with me.

I agree with nearly everything you write in the football forum.

Congressional Republicans are set to overturn a slew of Obama-era regulations next week, including a controversial anti-bribery rule aimed at U.S. resource companies such as Exxon Mobil Corp (XOM.N) and Chevron Corp (CVX.N), according to a top lawmaker.

The wall swamp just got ten feet higher. :hmmph:

• Fire 1

Another Republican platform plank is the xenophobia surrounding immigrants. They've cultivated fear of immigrants and now, under Trump, they're going to publish a list of crimes committed by immigrants in "sanctuary cities."

they are warning us about the immigrants in the same way Hitler and the Nazis were warning about the danger of the jews.

• Fire 1

Another Republican platform plank is the xenophobia surrounding immigrants. They've cultivated fear of immigrants and now, under Trump, they're going to publish a list of crimes committed by immigrants in "sanctuary cities."

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/824348441505648648

f#*k.

And you know they won't include anything showing the proportion of crimes related to the population or how many are commited by citizens.