Offensive Line 2017

I hate the comparison to how Milt and Young were doing it back in the day. That was 20-30 years ago. Football is a lot different than it was when Milt and Young were the o-line coaches. Back then, the o-line could dominate lesser opponents and only play about 1/2 to 3/4 of the game. Also, the linemen took 1-2 years in the weight room and get to the point where they could develop and be able to be backups for a year.

Well now, kids are coming to NU in better physical shape and they don't require a long time before they are physically ready to contribute. Yes, there are mental reps that are needed, but that can be done by rotating the linemen. NU has 17 scholarship linemen, and I am sure there are 2-3 walk-ons that can contribute. Starting in 2017, I don't see why Cav can't change things up and do some rotation of some sort. At least get swing tackles and guards, so that 7 guys are getting regular snaps. If he's not doing it, and just says "It's not the way I do things" it's a lazy approach.

• Fire 1

I hate the comparison to how Milt and Young were doing it back in the day. That was 20-30 years ago. Football is a lot different than it was when Milt and Young were the o-line coaches. Back then, the o-line could dominate lesser opponents and only play about 1/2 to 3/4 of the game. Also, the linemen took 1-2 years in the weight room and get to the point where they could develop and be able to be backups for a year.

Well now, kids are coming to NU in better physical shape and they don't require a long time before they are physically ready to contribute. Yes, there are mental reps that are needed, but that can be done by rotating the linemen. NU has 17 scholarship linemen, and I am sure there are 2-3 walk-ons that can contribute. Starting in 2017, I don't see why Cav can't change things up and do some rotation of some sort. At least get swing tackles and guards, so that 7 guys are getting regular snaps. If he's not doing it, and just says "It's not the way I do things" it's a lazy approach.

It is not lazy, it is how he does things, and it is done by a lot of coaches. I am not saying it is better or worse than rotating a ton of guys. But you are wrong when you think 18 year old kids come into a program and are ready to compete with a 22 year old guy right away on the line. There are always exceptions to the rule, but not very many.

It is just a lot more complicated than you and a lot of people think it is. One of your biggest reasons that you think the O-line is not as good as it should be is because he is not playing 8-9 guys. Besides, they played 8-9 guys last year, because of all the injuries.

It is not lazy, it is how he does things, and it is done by a lot of coaches. I am not saying it is better or worse than rotating a ton of guys. But you are wrong when you think 18 year old kids come into a program and are ready to compete with a 22 year old guy right away on the line. There are always exceptions to the rule, but not very many.

It is just a lot more complicated than you and a lot of people think it is. One of your biggest reasons that you think the O-line is not as good as it should be is because he is not playing 8-9 guys. Besides, they played 8-9 guys last year, because of all the injuries.

I just disagree with his philosophy. He should have the depth on the line to rotate guys in 2017, but he won't do it. To me, he's being lazy for not trying different techniques in coaching, when the line has struggled the past 2 years. Cav is just an old dude that's stuck in his ways. He gets some slack from Husker fans because he befriended Tenopir before Milt's death. 2017 is the year the line will need to be positive difference makers.

• Fire 1

I just disagree with his philosophy. He should have the depth on the line to rotate guys in 2017, but he won't do it. To me, he's being lazy for not trying different techniques in coaching, when the line has struggled the past 2 years. Cav is just an old dude that's stuck in his ways. He gets some slack from Husker fans because he befriended Tenopir before Milt's death. 2017 is the year the line will need to be positive difference makers.

That is fine, disagree with his philosophy. But don't say you shouldn't compare it to Milt and Young, because that is where the rotation Idea come from. That is what Nebraska fans remember.

That is fine, disagree with his philosophy. But don't say you shouldn't compare it to Milt and Young, because that is where the rotation Idea come from. That is what Nebraska fans remember.

The reason I said "don't compare it to Milt and Young" is because fans said that "Milt never rotated linemen".

The reason I said "don't compare it to Milt and Young" is because fans said that "Milt never rotated linemen".

what? 2 years now, and we haven't seen the Davis twins playing much, if at all? ........i don't get the development plan by Cav.........i don't know how you develop depth without reps.......got to be something in Cav's notebook??