So according to 247...

OT - Nick Gates **** .8929

OG - Jerald Foster *** .8708

C - John Raridon **** .9435

OG - Tanner Farmer **** .9021

OT - Matt Farniok **** .9049

Boe Wilson *** .8559

That is a bad ass offensive line, man.

The stars at night might be big and bright, but two of those guys got knocked around a lot last year, one was injured for most of the season, and two haven't played yet. My expectations remained tempered.

• Fire 1

So according to 247...

Boe Wilson *** .8559

The stars at night might be big and bright, but two of those guys got knocked around a lot last year, one was injured for most of the season, and two haven't played yet. My expectations remained tempered.

I don't think it's fair to say Gates got knocked around a lot. He got dominated by one of the best ends in the country, everybody did. Coaches also kind of left him on an island with him most of the game, which it's my understanding you don't do that against elite rushers, but we did. I don't really think Farmer was a liability either, and he was hurt for a good chunk of year. I thought Gates and Farmer were fairly solid most of the year.

I thought RT and C was very bad most games, along with whoever was at LG before Foster. I root for Conrad and Knevel, they seem like good guys, but they were bad. If they are starting next year I will be worried about how good Farniok actually is.

I'm with you on the expectations tho, the unit as a whole was terrible. But I think Farmer and Gates are two of the brighter spots.

• Fire 2

So according to 247...

Boe Wilson *** .8559

I would expect the O-line to be better as long as the injury bug stays away. The O-line was playing pretty solid up to when all the injuries hit. They wern't completely dominate, but they were decent. They rolled the dice with RS all the freshmen. The depth should be better next year.

My starters are

LT Gates

LG Foster

C Decker

LG Farmer

RT Farniok

I don't even think Knevel sees the field next year. I don't think he has the killer instinct for football. I think he plays because his body is suited to it and he is athletic, not because he loves the game. Cole Conrad actually played pretty well and should be the Number 1 backup at tackle. Don't let not being able to block that guy from Tennessee cloud your judgement on him, that guy is special and will be an NFL star.

Moving Barrett to NT may be a good thing and it may actually make him productive. From what I have heard his effort is lacking. They say his moter just doesn't run that hot all the time. Which is a lot of the battle in football.

I truly expect the O line to be decent to good next year.

So according to 247...

Boe Wilson *** .8559

I would expect the O-line to be better as long as the injury bug stays away. The O-line was playing pretty solid up to when all the injuries hit. They wern't completely dominate, but they were decent. They rolled the dice with RS all the freshmen. The depth should be better next year.

My starters are

LT Gates

LG Foster

C Decker

LG Farmer

RT Farniok

I don't even think Knevel sees the field next year. I don't think he has the killer instinct for football. I think he plays because his body is suited to it and he is athletic, not because he loves the game. Cole Conrad actually played pretty well and should be the Number 1 backup at tackle. Don't let not being able to block that guy from Tennessee cloud your judgement on him, that guy is special and will be an NFL star.

Moving Barrett to NT may be a good thing and it may actually make him productive. From what I have heard his effort is lacking. They say his moter just doesn't run that hot all the time. Which is a lot of the battle in football.

I truly expect the O line to be decent to good next year.

This is my thought exactly, they were decent when healthy. Have to remember they were all pretty young still and return mostly everyone. Add in the talented kids who redshirted and you've got a line that could take a nice step forward. Redshirting them all last year was a roll of the dice but I'm really happy they did. Bodes very well for the future. This next class seems almost certain to all redshirt. I feel this crew needs it more than last year's did, but man think about the depth and knowledge of our system we will be building if almost all of our linemen are here 5 years.

I know many aren't, but I'm excited about what's being built.

Our offensive line at times I thought played well last year. I thought they actually did a pretty good job at creating holes for our running backs. Other times though those holes didn't seem to be there and they looked overwhelmed. As for Knevel I am surprised they even tried him/have him playing tackle so they need to see who else they can get protecting that edge.

Do we rotate guys next season? Pass protection is going to be extra crucial next season as well but so too again as always will be run blocking.

Lots of questions once again.

Our offensive line at times I thought played well last year. I thought they actually did a pretty good job at creating holes for our running backs. Other times though those holes didn't seem to be there and they looked overwhelmed. As for Knevel I am surprised they even tried him/have him playing tackle so they need to see who else they can get protecting that edge.

Do we rotate guys next season? Pass protection is going to be extra crucial next season as well but so too again as always will be run blocking.

This is what I am very curious about. Coach Cav has long been against rotating linemen, but I think this is a very old-fashioned philosophy. If the line has a quality 2-deep across most/all the positions, then I don't see the argument against rotating the linemen. It keeps guys fresher, it reduces the odds of injury, it provides the backups the opportunity of gaining experience, and it keeps the backups mentally invested in the game.

^

I agree with both of you. I've never been a Cav fan and wonder if his line will ever actually start resembling a great a unit. Also I think we can only benefit from some rotation which could also potentially let someone else emerge not to mention the experience to be had from that. Especially in some of our early season games against lesser competition. Good posts as always! :thumbs

This is what I am very curious about. Coach Cav has long been against rotating linemen, but I think this is a very old-fashioned philosophy. If the line has a quality 2-deep across most/all the positions, then I don't see the argument against rotating the linemen. It keeps guys fresher, it reduces the odds of injury, it provides the backups the opportunity of gaining experience, and it keeps the backups mentally invested in the game.

I agree. Getting the second team 10+ snaps a game would help. Unfortunately, we don'y have many games anymore where we are comfortably ahead by the second half. That really helped build depth in the Osborne era.

I agree. Getting the second team 10+ snaps a game would help. Unfortunately, we don'y have many games anymore where we are comfortably ahead by the second half. That really helped build depth in the Osborne era.

But, that's why I think the backup guys should be rotated in non-blowout situations. I think a guy can be a 'swing" guard or tackle where he can play the left and right side of the ball. With zone blocking schemes, there isn't a huge difference between the left or ride side of the line (at least in the run game).

RB's and WR's get rotated throughout the game to keep those guys fresh. Why isn't that done on the O-line? It can be more physically draining to have one-on-one combat on every play, the way linemen do.

Frankly, I think Cavanaugh is taking a lazy approach, and just wants to do things the way he did at Oregon State. At Oregon State, I can see why he wouldn't rotate linemen because he may not have the o-line depth like a program like NU should (or could have). Cav needs to realize that he's at Nebraska, not Oregon State.

The last 5-6 posts have nailed it. Unless Cav rotates and develops the #2 guys, seeing what they can do in competition, thus giving them motivation and producing competition, the line will continue to underachieve. Cav is in charge of the most important group and he needs to step up his game and be willing to use a different method. Guys weren't afraid of losing their position, unless it was because of injury.