Offensive Line 2017

Our offensive line at times I thought played well last year. I thought they actually did a pretty good job at creating holes for our running backs. Other times though those holes didn't seem to be there and they looked overwhelmed. As for Knevel I am surprised they even tried him/have him playing tackle so they need to see who else they can get protecting that edge.

Do we rotate guys next season? Pass protection is going to be extra crucial next season as well but so too again as always will be run blocking.

Lots of questions once again.

This is what I am very curious about. Coach Cav has long been against rotating linemen, but I think this is a very old-fashioned philosophy. If the line has a quality 2-deep across most/all the positions, then I don't see the argument against rotating the linemen. It keeps guys fresher, it reduces the odds of injury, it provides the backups the opportunity of gaining experience, and it keeps the backups mentally invested in the game.

I agree. Getting the second team 10+ snaps a game would help. Unfortunately, we don'y have many games anymore where we are comfortably ahead by the second half. That really helped build depth in the Osborne era.

But, that's why I think the backup guys should be rotated in non-blowout situations. I think a guy can be a 'swing" guard or tackle where he can play the left and right side of the ball. With zone blocking schemes, there isn't a huge difference between the left or ride side of the line (at least in the run game).

RB's and WR's get rotated throughout the game to keep those guys fresh. Why isn't that done on the O-line? It can be more physically draining to have one-on-one combat on every play, the way linemen do.

Frankly, I think Cavanaugh is taking a lazy approach, and just wants to do things the way he did at Oregon State. At Oregon State, I can see why he wouldn't rotate linemen because he may not have the o-line depth like a program like NU should (or could have). Cav needs to realize that he's at Nebraska, not Oregon State.

There were no bodies to rotate the majority of last year because of injuries. They sold out depth to redshirt a solid freshman class.

Our offensive line at times I thought played well last year. I thought they actually did a pretty good job at creating holes for our running backs. Other times though those holes didn't seem to be there and they looked overwhelmed. As for Knevel I am surprised they even tried him/have him playing tackle so they need to see who else they can get protecting that edge.

Do we rotate guys next season? Pass protection is going to be extra crucial next season as well but so too again as always will be run blocking.

This is what I am very curious about. Coach Cav has long been against rotating linemen, but I think this is a very old-fashioned philosophy. If the line has a quality 2-deep across most/all the positions, then I don't see the argument against rotating the linemen. It keeps guys fresher, it reduces the odds of injury, it provides the backups the opportunity of gaining experience, and it keeps the backups mentally invested in the game.

I agree. Getting the second team 10+ snaps a game would help. Unfortunately, we don'y have many games anymore where we are comfortably ahead by the second half. That really helped build depth in the Osborne era.

But, that's why I think the backup guys should be rotated in non-blowout situations. I think a guy can be a 'swing" guard or tackle where he can play the left and right side of the ball. With zone blocking schemes, there isn't a huge difference between the left or ride side of the line (at least in the run game).

RB's and WR's get rotated throughout the game to keep those guys fresh. Why isn't that done on the O-line? It can be more physically draining to have one-on-one combat on every play, the way linemen do.

Frankly, I think Cavanaugh is taking a lazy approach, and just wants to do things the way he did at Oregon State. At Oregon State, I can see why he wouldn't rotate linemen because he may not have the o-line depth like a program like NU should (or could have). Cav needs to realize that he's at Nebraska, not Oregon State.

There were no bodies to rotate the majority of last year because of injuries. They sold out depth to redshirt a solid freshman class.

I think there were bodies to rotate in 2015, and Cavanaugh would get upset at the notion of rotating linemen when he was asked by the media during that season.

I think there were bodies to rotate in 2015, and Cavanaugh would get upset at the notion of rotating linemen when he was asked by the media during that season.

Which makes sense. It seems coaches are either in favor of it or not. For example, New England rotates offensive lineman in the NFL, but majority of teams don't. The media wouldn't ask Mark Banker why his base defense is a 4-3 instead of 3-4. He's a 4-3 coach.

While I understand it's a philosophy thing, my philosophy is your best few back up lineman are going to play at some point in the season whether it be because of injury or rotation, might as well have it be because of rotation if possible

This would probably help with the injury issue too with the starters getting some rest.

Was listening to the HOL podcast on my run tonight. We'll have 17 scholarship offensive linemen for this season, 20% of the 85 man roster. Cav needs to get it done.

Yet Cav will prefer to play only 5 of those 17 scholarship linemen. That's a utilization rate below 30%.

I understand that the true freshmen will probably redshirt, but even if you take those out of the equation, it's a utilization rate below 50%.

• Fire 1

While I understand it's a philosophy thing, my philosophy is your best few back up lineman are going to play at some point in the season whether it be because of injury or rotation, might as well have it be because of rotation if possible

This would probably help with the injury issue too with the starters getting some rest.

I said that all last season. When the starters take more reps, it gives them more opportunity for injury. Plus, I have the opinion that a more tired player is more susceptible to injury.

Unless everyone on this board goes to every practice to evaluate the O-line you can stop with the rotate nonsense. I'll put it to you this way, our d-line accross the board is very middle of the pack even just in the big 10. I would even go as far to say our ends are toward the bottom. If our d-linemen were beating the OLine in practice what's that say about our o-linemen?? Our ends could barely get by anyone all year. So maybe that's why there was no rotation because we just didn't have the talent not including the redshirts who coaches were obviously not wanting to burn. Yes some players rotate some do not. Safeties rarely rotate, Qbs don't rotate (on good teams) middle linebackers don't rotate. It becomes a chess match with he entire line. They talk to each other and help each other out. Start plugging guys in and it messes with continuity. How would everyone feel if we were undefeated on the verge of beating a Wisconsin or OSU and we rotated a lineman and the defender blows by him and next thing you know our QB or stud RB has a broken leg or some other season ending injury?. Everyone would be saying why the funk was so and so even in the game?!!? Long story short it's not gonna happen unless we are up big so stop talking about it

Was listening to the HOL podcast on my run tonight. We'll have 17 scholarship offensive linemen for this season, 20% of the 85 man roster. Cav needs to get it done.

Yet Cav will prefer to play only 5 of those 17 scholarship linemen. That's a utilization rate below 30%.

I understand that the true freshmen will probably redshirt, but even if you take those out of the equation, it's a utilization rate below 50%.

Yup, that needs to change. The depth excuse goes out the window this year.

Any coach worth his salt is not going to put in an offensive lineman who is going to be a liability, unless there's no other option. It's just not going to happen.

I'm more worried about finding a good starting 5 before working in a 6th or 7th guy.

True, but I'd argue some of those guys were a liability (aka Utter). The OL was "ok" in 2015, and downright bad in 2016. Even before the rash of injuries late in the year, they still didn't get a consistent push. We only brought in 4 guys this year, so that leaves 13 scholarship guys this year that have at least one year in the program. They don't have a mobile QB to bail them out in pass pro (and Tommy did that many, many times over the last 2 years) so they're all gonna have to step it up this year. Iowa and Wisconsin's DL's aren't getting worse.

Any coach worth his salt is not going to put in an offensive lineman who is going to be a liability, unless there's no other option. It's just not going to happen.

I'm more worried about finding a good starting 5 before working in a 6th or 7th guy.

True, but I'd argue some of those guys were a liability (aka Utter). The OL was "ok" in 2015, and downright bad in 2016. Even before the rash of injuries late in the year, they still didn't get a consistent push. We only brought in 4 guys this year, so that leaves 13 scholarship guys this year that have at least one year in the program. They don't have a mobile QB to bail them out in pass pro (and Tommy did that many, many times over the last 2 years) so they're all gonna have to step it up this year. Iowa and Wisconsin's DL's aren't getting worse.
Yeah I see this as a make-or-break year for Coach Cav. Langsdorf too, for that matter.
  • Fire 1

Unless everyone on this board goes to every practice to evaluate the O-line you can stop with the rotate nonsense. I'll put it to you this way, our d-line accross the board is very middle of the pack even just in the big 10. I would even go as far to say our ends are toward the bottom. If our d-linemen were beating the OLine in practice what's that say about our o-linemen?? Our ends could barely get by anyone all year. So maybe that's why there was no rotation because we just didn't have the talent not including the redshirts who coaches were obviously not wanting to burn. Yes some players rotate some do not. Safeties rarely rotate, Qbs don't rotate (on good teams) middle linebackers don't rotate. It becomes a chess match with he entire line. They talk to each other and help each other out. Start plugging guys in and it messes with continuity. How would everyone feel if we were undefeated on the verge of beating a Wisconsin or OSU and we rotated a lineman and the defender blows by him and next thing you know our QB or stud RB has a broken leg or some other season ending injury?. Everyone would be saying why the funk was so and so even in the game?!!? Long story short it's not gonna happen unless we are up big so stop talking about it

That is a pretty good assessment. There seems to be some view that back when Milt and Young were coaching back in the 80's and 90's that wholesale rotation of limenen was going on in every game. This is just not true. When you team is that good, and other teams are that bad, your back ups are going to get a lot more game time reps. Yes lots of guys got lots of work in the 4 quarter of 3-4 games every year and that was great. When you are winning by 5 TD's going into the 4th you get that game work.

Go back and read things that Milt said, he loved to have a swing guard and tackle if he could have them. If he had a guy that was pretty even with the starters it usually happened, but it didn't happen all the time.

NU was a lineman factory for 40 years. The formula was the same. Freshman come into the program and RS gain weight and play scout team. When they had freshman ball they played freshman football then RS. They then are RS frosh are still playing scout team ball and if they are really good they may be a backup. They may get into some games in mop up duty. As a RS soph they are a backup if they are really good they may be a starter not that often though. By the time they are a Jr they may be starting for 2 years or they may not start till they are a Sr. They may never start at all. Most guys didn't start until there 4 year in the program. The great line of 94 had Stai 2 year starter, Rob Z 2 year starter, Graham 3 year starter, Wilks 1 year starter, and Wiegert the 3 year starter.

That chain, that formula for doing things was broken somewhere in the early 2000. Do any of you really think Nick Gates would have been starting as a RS Frosh back in those days? Do you think Foster and Farmer would be starting as Sophs? They are good players but need more reps.

The old formula you now see at Wisconsin and Iowa. I think this is what Cav is trying to establish at Nebraska. Until you get to the point that you are plugging Jrs and Srs into starting. You not going to see a consistantly good O-line.

• Fire 1