Bob Elliott is N

ADS

Rivals Rates the hire a B+

Local take: “Elliott fits Mike Riley’s mantra of wanting expert coaches and recruiters on his staff perfectly. Not only is Nebraska’s new safeties coach a highly regarded football mind, but Elliott is also extremely familiar with new defensive coordinator Bob Diaco and his 3-4 scheme. Elliott is also an energetic recruiter with deep connections that has recruited to the Midwest before, as well as for a program in Notre Dame that recruits nationally just as the Huskers do.” – Nate Clouse, HuskerOnline.com

Farrell’s take: “Elliott did some excellent recruiting work while at Notre Dame and works well on the recruiting trail with new defensive coordinator Bob Diaco. He’s done serious work in California, which can only help the Calibraska movement.”

Farrell’s Grade: B+

The author lost credibility with the bolded statement above. MR hired all his Oregon State cronies and paid nearly a half million per year to one of the worst special teams coaches of all time. He had an opportunity to hire the best assistants, but he chose to bring his friends. I more accurate statement would be - MR learned from his mistakes, and has fired three coaches in his first two years.

I don't think I'd fault the author for that. Riley has said that on more than one occasion.

Now as to whether he's always followed through on that.....

I agree. I also think that it is not accurate to assume that on a dime after Riley was hired he could have dropped the Oregon State Boyz and instantly hired a staff of better fit and more talented rock stars. I'm sure some that would have been helpful but overall bringing stability may have better than bringing in a bunch of egos that have never worker together all at the same time. It is also possible that the Husker program was only willing to spend a certain amount of money. I'm not sure they would have dropped Bob Diaco type money on a new DC at the time. Riley may also have (rightly or wrongly) wanted to see what his guys could do with more resources, Kinda the same risk Nebraska was taking on Riley.

it's also possible that SE told him that you have some players that need to be smoothed over and it would be best if you could bring some guys that you are comfortable with for that job. As that issue disappears he is evaluating the guys as coaches/teachers and replacing what needs to be replaced. Every decision in the past 3 years that has been made shows long[term over short-term.