Bob Elliott is N

ADS

Good article on Elliot.

I like this hire a lot. Guy seems to be highly respected, is committed and puts in the work, and he knows the system Diaco will be running. Plus I think he'll be just fine recruiting. People put a little too much emphasis on the "recruiter" aspect imo. A lot of these stellar recruiters come by that designation via self fulfilling prophecy. These top recruiters get their rep by recruiting at schools that are going to draw top talent regardless who is recruiting them. So all these Bama guys etc. aren't going to pull all 5* players at NU like they do where they gained their rep. What we need as much or more than recruiters is the guys that can get the most out of the players Nebraska is going to get. We aren't going to pul top ten recruiting classes no matter how many recruiting aces we put on staff.

If it wasn't for his health problems, BE likely would've been Hayden Fry's replacement at Iowa. Say what you will about Iowa but that says a lot about his coaching ability. This was a great hire imo.

KW & DW didn't get strong recruiting reps the way you describe.

Appears Riley is upgrading from Beav ass'ts to Domer guys, eh? Why didn't he do this from the get go?

Good question. I've been wondering about this in similar fashion.

My conclusion: At the timing of his hire, you are in such a hurry to hit the ground running in recruiting that you have got to move quickly. Perhaps he put out some feelers at the time and no one bit, so he went with comfortable hires.

Appears Riley is upgrading from Beav ass'ts to Domer guys, eh? Why didn't he do this from the get go?

Good question. I've been wondering about this in similar fashion.

My conclusion: At the timing of his hire, you are in such a hurry to hit the ground running in recruiting that you have got to move quickly. Perhaps he put out some feelers at the time and no one bit, so he went with comfortable hires.

Probably they were a bit overconfident in what they were doing in Corvallis. The coaches that have been let go were alright coaches. Not terrible, but sure as heck not elite. Well, solid coaches producing average season are accepted at OSU but will get you fired in Lincoln. Little bit of a wake up call that there is no margin for error in the big time programs and winning has to happen regularly and at a high level.

I'm not worried about the age or the recruiting prowess of this guy. He's a secondary coach so guess who will be right there with him if need be? Dwill is going to get who he gets regardless of the second coach. He has experience in the 3-4 which is what we really need. Less time teaching coaches and more time teaching players. It's one less variable to worry about going in to spring ball as far as installation goes.

This is a great hire.

I'm still hearing it's as a consultant, not an actual coaching role.

Anyone confirm this?

Well, no, but it also hasn't been A) confirmed that Bob Elliot has been hired or B) confirmed that he was hired to be the new Safety Coach.

Edit: Depending on your definition of confirmed.

(To be clear, I believe he is a Husker, but I don't know if he is an Assistant or Consultant.)

I'm not worried about the age or the recruiting prowess of this guy. He's a secondary coach so guess who will be right there with him if need be? Dwill is going to get who he gets regardless of the second coach. He has experience in the 3-4 which is what we really need. Less time teaching coaches and more time teaching players. It's one less variable to worry about going in to spring ball as far as installation goes.

This is a great hire.

Pretty much where I'm at on this. He has experience in this system and with Diaco. He also has experience with some pretty good defenses. I'll trust Diaco on this one.

I also believe having another experienced guy on the staff in this system will help teaching it to the players which would lesson the blow of changing schemes.

• Fire 1

After opening up the checkbook to get Diaco, I figured we weren't getting a big name hire. I am pleasantly surprised with who we ended up with considering our likely limited budget. We have some pretty big recruiters, it's good to have another guy who is familiar with the new defensive scheme. It's not only the players who have to learn the new system.

This is a great hire.

Pretty much where I'm at on this. He has experience in this system and with Diaco. He also has experience with some pretty good defenses. I'll trust Diaco on this one.

I also believe having another experienced guy on the staff in this system will help teaching it to the players which would lesson the blow of changing schemes.

I bet you Dwill can spin this perfectly too. You want to have a coach with a lot of experience to help get you to the next level. Not sure if this guy has sent many, but being a DC in multiple spots and a coach at ND you'd think he's had some players go. That can only be a selling point for our coaches to use. These coaching hires have all been outstanding. Time to translate it to success on the field.

His age is a concern, but he may be a short-term (2 years or so) coach who can help Diaco teach the players and assistant coaches learn the specifics of Diaco's 3-4 defense. This should help in the transition of the defense. Diaco can focus on the front 7 and LB's, while Elliot can focus on the secondary. In general, the safeties have more responsibility in making reads in the secondary, so it's good to have an experienced coach working with them.