Kenny Bell gettin' some sunshine.....

Pisses me off they didn't call this a foul! And chaps me that none of the linemen got into Borland's face after the play.

Nothing illegal about it. I mean you don't like seeing your qb get suplexed but borland didn't do anything crazy even after the play like get in his face or anything. Wouldn't be any different when someone tries to jump over a player and they get caught and slammed back to the ground

Since when is lifting while wrapping up the arms and body slamming a player into the turf not a personal foul? I've seen it called many times. Taylor was just as defenseless and probably more so than the Wisc player who was decked by Bell.
Never.. maybe in pee wee football. Martinez doesn't fall under the defenseless player rule because he's the the initial and only ball carrier. He chose not to slide and slow down because he was afraid of contact and got slammed. Maybe if he was on his way out of bounds and borland did that it would have been a flag. The kid bell hit should have had his head on swivel. That play shouldn't even be a flag. Was coached my whole life to protect myself at all time and play to the whistle. Doing that keeps you from getting your head taken off about 98% of the time.

Most of this conversation is idiotic as hell. Numerous people have lasting brain damage and kill themselves after playing football so you can cream your pants at big hits.

yup, if this hit was fine, you wouldn't have seen Long get into it with a couple Wisky players, you wouldn't have seen Turner go "come on man" to Borland, you wouldn't have seen Pelini flip sh##, and you wouldn't have seen Borland come up to Martinez afterwards and say "My bad".

Husker2019 said: suplexes are flagged all of the time as a personal foul. They don't want players landing on their head, as is what happened with Martinez here.

I agree that we don't want players landing on their head.

However, 1) Martinez was the ball carrier, 2) he was practically in the middle of the field, and 3) he had the option to slide or lower his shoulder to deliver a hit.

He opted to try a little jump and got slammed for it. I'm curious, if a Nebraska player had done that and there was a similar no call, would you be saying that said Nebraska player should have been flagged? Or would your attitude be, what a nice hard tackle!?

Husker2019 said: suplexes are flagged all of the time as a personal foul. They don't want players landing on their head, as is what happened with Martinez here.

However, 1) Martinez was the ball carrier, 2) he was practically in the middle of the field, and 3) he had the option to slide or lower his shoulder to deliver a hit.

He opted to try a little jump and got slammed for it. I'm curious, if a Nebraska player had done that and there was a similar no call, would you be saying that said Nebraska player should have been flagged? Or would your attitude be, what a nice hard tackle!?

uh I invite you to watch the video again, because he didn't jump. To answer your question: yes if it was a Nebraska player committing the foul, I would expect a flag. Enough precedent has been set where suplexes aren't allowed, and head/neck injuries aren't something to play with. Obviously I don't want flags thrown against Nebraska, but I would be irritated at the player for making a bonehead decision like that and not at the ref for doing his job.
  • Fire 2

uh I invite you to watch the video again, because he didn't jump. To answer your question: yes if it was a Nebraska player committing the foul, I would expect a flag. Enough precedent has been set where suplexes aren't allowed, and head/neck injuries aren't something to play with. Obviously I don't want flags thrown against Nebraska, but I would be irritated at the player for making a bonehead decision like that and not at the ref for doing his job.

I watched it again and I stand corrected, Martinez didn't do a little jump.

However, I still think it was a nice hard, physical tackle and not necessarily worth throwing a flag over, but opinions do vary.

I watched it again and I stand corrected, Martinez didn't do a little jump.

However, I still think it was a nice hard, physical tackle and not necessarily worth throwing a flag over, but opinions do vary.

yeah agree to disagree, but I think Borland could've brought him down differently and I think he realized that when he went to pat Martinez on the the hip

Most of this conversation is idiotic as hell. Numerous people have lasting brain damage and kill themselves after playing football so you can cream your pants at big hits.

yup, if this hit was fine, you wouldn't have seen Long get into it with a couple Wisky players, you wouldn't have seen Turner go "come on man" to Borland, you wouldn't have seen Pelini flip sh##, and you wouldn't have seen Borland come up to Martinez afterwards and say "My bad".
Dentists kill themselves all the time too and air traffic controlers. There is always an option to take different career paths. If you don't want brain damage from playing football don't play the game.
  • Fire 1

Dentists kill themselves all the time too and air traffic controlers. There is always an option to take different career paths. If you don't want brain damage from playing football don't play the game.
If you had thought about the post more than once I like to think you wouldn't have posted it, because it's a terrible argument.

List the things in a dentist's line of work that are highly likely to have directly caused people to commit suicide who otherwise wouldn't have.

Same goes for air traffic controllers.

After you've done that think about the fact that we're only recently discovering the damage to players' brains this sport is causing. Until we warn every single person who plays football and make them sign a contracting showing that they know they might get brain damage which greatly increases the probability of depression and suicie, safety measures need to be taken.

After you've thought about that, think about the fact that when these football players are actually mature enough to realize they might not want that to happen to them, the damage might already be done and irreversible. These are people age 13+. If you just count college it's 17 year olds. You expect them to be rational about something that's going to affect them 10-30 years down the road? They need to be protected.

If you had thought about the post more than once I like to think you wouldn't have posted it, because it's a terrible argument.

List the things in a dentist's line of work that are highly likely to have directly caused people to commit suicide who otherwise wouldn't have.

After you've done that think about the fact that we're only recently discovering the damage to players' brains this sport is causing. Until we warn every single person who plays football and make them sign a contracting showing that they know they might get brain damage which greatly increases the probability of depression and suicie, safety measures need to be taken.

After you've thought about that, think about the fact that when these football players are actually mature enough to realize they might not want that to happen to them, the damage might already be done and irreversible. These are people age 13+. If you just count college it's 17 year olds. You expect them to be rational about something that's going to affect them 10-30 years down the road? They need to be protected.

Do these kids nowadays not have a TV or the internet? Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that running your head into things isn't good for it. Maybe they should change the rules of boxing or MMA to no hits in the face. I knew there was a risk of getting paralyzed playing football but I took that risk. If you think those guys are committing suicide because CTS that's a load of bull. They suffer from depression because of their dramatic life change. They no longer have someone to tell them what to do, no locker room full of teammates, no stadium full of people cheering for them. They don't know how to deal with it so they take the easy way out. Why haven't as many boxers over time committed suicide?

Do these kids nowadays not have a TV or the internet? Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that running your head into things isn't good for it. Maybe they should change the rules of boxing or MMA to no hits in the face. I knew there was a risk of getting paralyzed playing football but I took that risk. If you think those guys are committing suicide because CTS that's a load of bull. They suffer from depression because of their dramatic life change. They no longer have someone to tell them what to do, no locker room full of teammates, no stadium full of people cheering for them. They don't know how to deal with it so they take the easy way out. Why haven't as many boxers over time committed suicide?

I'm not sure if you are trolling this post or if you were dropped on your head as a child. You do understand that in the even in the year 2012 that the helmet first, body slam tackles that gave generations of football players life changing concussions would not as a rule be tolerated and even less so in 2017.

• Fire 2

So let me make sure I'm understanding this correctly.

You think teenagers should understand the dangers, but you yourself don't believe in those dangers when faced with the evidence.

Luckily you're damn far away from making any type of decision on this subject.

I keep clicking on this thread thinking this time I'll for sure take the time to figure out what it's about. Then I look at it and realize that's probably never going to happen.

Edit: after getting passed the dentists and air traffic controllers it turns out it's a pretty serious conversation

• Fire 1