** 2017 Opponent Previews: Oregon (Game 2) **

On 9/4/2017 at 0:40 PM, LilRedIsABadOmen said:

On Saturday it looked like both Gifford and Newby were on the field together quite a bit. So is Gifford really the starting OLB where Davis and King play? Maybe that was just the look they were showing to ASU but I rarely saw Davis and never saw King on the field.

Gifford was playing the Dog spot - not sure why Davis is still listed as the starter.  Might have been opponent-specific but it hasn't sounded like Davis has been making a lot of plays in practice.

Might be lazy depth-chart-making.  :dunno

On 8/28/2017 at 3:52 PM, Caliborn72 said:

https://www.twitter.com/AndrewGreif/status/902215398434643968

Lots of freshmen in the two-deep. We should be able to take advantage of their inexperience at NT. Nervous about their offense but I feel better about this game.

There is a reason a true freshman is starting at nose tackle. He's special, sure inexperienced at the college level, but as a freshman he's become a bit of a team leader kind of guy. We'll see how long it takes him to adjust to playing against quality opponents like Neb. Yes, So Utah wasn't very good. I hate those kinds of games.

On 9/4/2017 at 0:06 PM, BoneyardHusker said:

It holds more toward 55k. But regardless, I am going to guess there will be lots of red in that stadium. But, before we get to excited and think the number of fans in attendance could help with taking away the Ducks home field advantage, Tennessee brought a ton of orange to Autzen when they visited and it did not turn out well for them.

Autzen "officially" "seats" 54000, not anywhere near the size of Memorial. However, prior to last season's ugly events, Autzen averaged around 106% of capacity. So expect a crowd around 60000 for Saturday.

On 9/4/2017 at 0:51 PM, Landlord said:

There will definitely be a lot of red. 20k is a bit of a pie in the sky estimate, though. It's just unlikely that 20,000 Oregon fans will part with their tickets - 20k would be a lot easier to pull off in a stadium twice as big as Autzen, but hopefully it's something similar to when we invaded Washington in 2010.

The only way you get 20000 Nebraska fans in Autzen is to do it on a day when no events are planned for the stadium. I'd guess, given Neb reputation for traveling well and Oregon  coming off a bad year you might get 5000 into Autzen possibly a little more. I think that's about what Tenn got into Autzen.

6 minutes ago, GoDucks349 said:

The only way you get 20000 Nebraska fans in Autzen is to do it on a day when no events are planned for the stadium. I'd guess, given Neb reputation for traveling well and Oregon  coming off a bad year you might get 5000 into Autzen possibly a little more. I think that's about what Tenn got into Autzen.

yump.gif

• Plus1 2

39 minutes ago, GoDucks349 said:

You may be right, but Notre Dame fans said the same thing years ago. Ask about the "Nebraska rule" their admin instituted after our game there.

I'm interested to see how the Nebraska turnout is.

27 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

You may be right, but Notre Dame fans said the same thing years ago. Ask about the "Nebraska rule" their admin instituted after our game there.

I'm interested to see how the Nebraska turnout is.

I suppose given last year you might get 7000 in if you're creative. Still that would be a lot in our small little stadium. I don't know about the situation at ND, all I know is last time they played the Ducks they played for a tie at Autzen. Bunch of cowards....

To be honest I will be disappointed if there are only 7k Nebraska fans in Autzen. I went to the Washington game in Seattle and there was a large portion of that stadium red. I think there are a lot of Nebraska fans in Oregon and the Northwest and even bay area that will make the trip to Eugene to see Nebraska play and have used creative ways to get to the game. My guess is there will be some folks who bought season tickets and plan on selling all other games.

I think I heard it was difficult to buy single game tickets for this game because Oregon offered a package deal where you had to buy game tickets to two other games in order to get the Nebraska game, but  I may be completely wrong there. Nonetheless, I hope Autzen is near half red come Saturday.

4 hours ago, GoDucks349 said:

I suppose given last year you might get 7000 in if you're creative. Still that would be a lot in our small little stadium. I don't know about the situation at ND, all I know is last time they played the Ducks they played for a tie at Autzen. Bunch of cowards....

What does your AD allot to the visiting team? I'd expect at least double that in NU fans. 

25 minutes ago, Landlord said:

What does your AD allot to the visiting team? I'd expect at least double that in NU fans. 

Good question and the answer is I don't know. I'd say 2000 is a pretty normal allotment. Maybe 5000 for a big time program. I am just guessing. I did find one sight that said 2000 was the standard allotment when school is in session.

12 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Oregon Ducks fans... Not sure if you are aware of this... But some Nebraska fans buy season tickets to your games so they can be there for this single game.

We're that way as a fan base.  I expect over 10k will be there easy.

Yes we're very aware of that type of purchase. It's not a new tactic. I saw one post that someone in Lincoln bought 104 Duck season tickets just to get the Nebraska game. They'll probably sell the remaining tickets and make a profit.

7 hours ago, GoDucks349 said:

Autzen "officially" "seats" 54000, not anywhere near the size of Memorial. However, prior to last season's ugly events, Autzen averaged around 106% of capacity. So expect a crowd around 60000 for Saturday.

13 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Oregon Ducks fans... Not sure if you are aware of this... But some Nebraska fans buy season tickets to your games so they can be there for this single game.

We're that way as a fan base.  I expect over 10k will be there easy.

Announced attendance for their game last week was 52,204.

I wonder where the other 8,000 people were?  :dunno

Tough to get an exact read on this game.   As others have said, I think both teams will score.  

I think Oregon will pull away to win something like 58-38. 

I wonder which defense - Oregon or Nebraska - will end up giving up more yards over the season?    I predict Nebraska, but hopefully wrong about that.

So a little comfort in this game and preparing for this game is Diaco has seen and coached against Taggart. Which is nice to know since Riley and Co wouldn't know much about Taggart. I think what helped Riley and Nebraska last year was Riley's familiarity with Oregon's system under Helfrich.

So the combination of Riley being very familiar with Autzen stadium and Diaco going up against Taggart, hopefully there is enough combined experience there that the Cornhuskers know what to expect and how to counter.