ESPN: 10 High-Stakes Games for the 2017 Season

6. Wisconsin Badgers at Nebraska Cornhuskers, Oct. 7

What's at stake: Nebraska improved by three wins in Mike Riley's second season, to 9-4, but it sure didn't feel like it after the Huskers dropped four of their final six games. Their final three losses came by a combined 103 points. It started to go wrong for Big Red after an overtime defeat at Wisconsin, which will enter the season as the Big Ten West division favorite and a fringe CFP contender. Although Nebraska has a revealing Week 2 trip to Oregon, it ultimately must compete for the division or serious questions will emerge about Riley's leadership. Nebraska entered the Big Ten pegged as a West heavyweight, but it has won the division once in six years. This game also carries stakes for Wisconsin, which skips both Ohio State and Penn State on the regular-season schedule.

ESPN

• Fire 1

2016 (7) Nebraska 17 @ 23 Wisconsin (11) OT

2015 Nebraska 21 vs. 23 Wisconsin

2014 (11) Nebraska 24 @ 59 Wisconsin (22)

2012 (14) Nebraska 31 vs. 70 Wisconsin

2012 (20) Nebraska 30 vs. 27 Wisconsin (23)

2011 (8) Nebraska 17 @ 48 Wisconsin (7)

Nebraska has been the higher ranked team vs. Wisconsin 4 out of the 6 matchups:

This just shows how everything has almost always come down to beating Wisconsin. The only year we managed to do it, we made to Indianapolis.

• Fire 1

This just shows how everything has almost always come down to beating Wisconsin. The only year we managed to do it, we made to Indianapolis.

In terms of talent and recruiting, we should be consistently beating Wisconsin, not losing to them.

• Fire 1

In terms of talent and recruiting, we should be consistently beating Wisconsin, not losing to them.

408 says hello!

Well, I guess we will be crushing that CFP dream for the Cheese Heads. Wisconsin is not leaving Lincoln with a W in 2017.

Agreed. I'll be shocked if Wisconsin beats us. Their schedule is insane. I've been calling it all the way we will beat them this year.

@ 1995 Redux and Huskers44...

Fellas, I like where your respective heads are at...but Nebraska will not beat Wisconsin this, or any other year.

Wisconsin consistently:

• plays harder
  • executes better
  • is tougher
  • and "wants" it more

than Nebraska does.

That's why they beat us every single year.

• Fire 3

Saying something ambiguous in the future 'will' happen, and will always happen, isn't 'fact'. Like always, you say something that starts from a rational kernel, and then blow it into a ridiculous statement that nobody takes seriously.

Anyways,

Well, I guess we will be crushing that CFP dream for the Cheese Heads. Wisconsin is not leaving Lincoln with a W in 2017.

Agreed. I'll be shocked if Wisconsin beats us. Their schedule is insane. I've been calling it all the way we will beat them this year.

Last year they played LSU, Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State, and Iowa before playing us. They're a returning top-10 team who lost three games by a combined 3 touchdowns.

Maybe the reason we always seem to lose to them is that the players are just as irrational as you are :lol:

• Fire 2

Wonder who's gonna bite first...

Nothing to "bite." at. It's not bait. It is simple, observable, fact.

Wisconsin plays harder than we do, they're more physical, and they want it more.

But like everything in this society, someone who speaks the truth is often shouted down by those who refuse to hear the truth.

we lost on the last drive of overtime last year and lost on a game winning field goal the year before. Sometimes the ball doesn't bounce your way.
  • Fire 1

Fellas, I like where your respective heads are at...but Nebraska will not beat Wisconsin this, or any other year.

Wisconsin consistently:

• plays harder
  • executes better
  • is tougher
  • and "wants" it more

than Nebraska does.

This may have been true at one point, but the last 2 games have been beyond winnable for Nebraska.

Your "Nebraska will not beat Wisconsin this, or any other year" comment is just trash. Sorry not sorry.

• Fire 2

Wisconsin consistently:

• plays harder
  • executes better
  • is tougher
  • and "wants" it more

than Nebraska does.

You really need to learn how to state facts in past tense when it's appropriate and to quit lumping people and things into such black and white categories. It's very off-putting.

• Fire 1

Wonder who's gonna bite first...

Nothing to "bite." at. It's not bait. It is simple, observable, fact.

Wisconsin plays harder than we do, they're more physical, and they want it more.

But like everything in this society, someone who speaks the truth is often shouted down by those who refuse to hear the truth.

we lost on the last drive of overtime last year and lost on a game winning field goal the year before. Sometimes the ball doesn't bounce your way.

If Nebraska was .500 or so versus the Badgers, I would agree with you.

However, Nebraska has beaten Wisconsin once since we've joined the Big 10.

We've had three, count 'em three, losses where they've absolutely taken us behind the woodshed.

Wisconsin consistently:

• plays harder
  • executes better
  • is tougher
  • and "wants" it more

than Nebraska does.

You really need to learn how to state facts in past tense when it's appropriate and to quit lumping people and things into such black and white categories. It's very off-putting.

What I said covers up to right now...hence usage of present tense.

Can anyone make the case that Wisconsin hasn't utterly dominated Nebraska since we've joined the Big 10?

What's wrong with being definitive here and putting things in stark "black and white?"

Nebraska joined the Big 10 in 2011. The Huskers have beaten the Badgers one time. Once! Three other times, we've been taken behind the woodshed and beaten so badly I think Melvin Gordon is still scoring TDs against the defense.

Look, I'm not going to apologize for being blunt. When Nebraska starts playing better: beating Wisconsin at least half the time, doesn't get pounded by Ohio State by 59, and/or lose to Iowa by 30, etc...then I'll give full credit.