CNN blackmailing Trump wrestling GIF creator?

Why would they even write the following? In a time when perception is everything, you would think a news organization would be keenly aware of how their article will be perceived.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/04/politics/kfile-reddit-user-trump-tweet/index.html

CNN is not publishing "HanA**holeSolo's" name because he is a private citizen who has issued an extensive statement of apology, showed his remorse by saying he has taken down all his offending posts, and because he said he is not going to repeat this ugly behavior on social media again. In addition, he said his statement could serve as an example to others not to do the same.

CNN reserves the right to publish his identity should any of that change.

• Fire 2

Not sure I follow your question, ZRod. Do you think it was unwise for them to leave the threat of publishing his name in the article?

I'm not agreeing/disagreeing with you. Just trying to better understand.

Yes, it's causing a pretty big wave on Reddit this morning.

Why would you even need to write the last sentence, or the preceding paragraph for that matter? All they had to say was that they chose not to disclose his identity as a private citizen.

• Fire 1

I'm guessing they wanted to prove publicly that they're serious about publishing his name. Likely, to them, it's one thing to say "We'll publish your name if..." and it's another to say it and then show your audience (and this man) that you really do mean business.

There are certainly some ethical arguments to be made around publishing his name for what he did.

Furthermore, I can understand the other ethical concerns surrounding this man's behavior and the CNN gif, particularly given the climate with the president and media. At the same time, I saw the gif, thought it was stupid/a bad idea, but didn't think twice about it afterwards. I'm still not 100% sure I understand the need for the witch hunt.

I'm guessing there are a lot of terrible things being said/done against CNN by far right radicals every day on social media. Are we going to start witch hunting all of these social media warriors?

• Fire 1

I kinda see ZRod's side here. It's a weird thing to say. Either publish the name and go all in on "Yeah, we doxxed you for posting that" or say "We don't unveil people like this and out of respect for privacy we'll refer to him only by screen name."

I also land on Enhance's position: why go after individuals? Is the goal to coerce these retractions?

I'm with Enhance, why is CNN doing anything about it? Just let it be, it was a stupid Gif and honestly I thought it made the Donald look even more unprofessional tweeting it out himself if that is possible. What is to be gained by shutting the gif down? Was it really causing damage to their reputation or public perception?

• Fire 2

I'm guessing there are a lot of terrible things being said/done against CNN by far right radicals every day on social media. Are we going to start witch hunting all of these social media warriors?

It's not so good being a journalist in the Trump era.

2VMXwjb.jpg

ekzawae.jpg

mvGkuiN.jpg

iqqfIcF.jpg

• Fire 3

"When you start calling a group of people enemies of the country, this is what happens."

Powerful, resonant words.

The current WH is recklessly engaged in these efforts, and not by accident. Those who do not see or fail to condemn are facilitating the distortion of America into something horrible beyond imagination. Nobody else is riding in here on a horse to save the day. Stopping this is up to us. Speak up, speak out, vote.

Knapp, good post. It is appalling what Trump is doing wt the tone he is setting. I wish the repubs could wash their hands of him but they are holding on to him to get an agenda past.

It is one thing for a party to defend a President on policy (dem or repub) but it is another for a party to 1. look the other way/ignore or worse 2. defend the President of their party. This

is when personal values are pushed down to expediency. This is how dictators gain power. Good people not standing up.

• Fire 1

No question, but is CNN actively tracking down all threats and creators of inappropriate gifs, contacting them and threatening to out them for their decisions? I don't believe they are.

That said, I'm guessing they wanted to make an example of someone and shame the president, particularly since they've come under a lot of fire from him recently. I can understand their motivation.

• Fire 1

Well said, TG.

Hillel: "If I am not for others, what am I? And if not now, when?"

Niemoeller: "First they came for the [...] and I did not speak up, because I was not [...] ... Then they came for me -- and there was no one left to speak for me."

• Fire 1

I fully agree with the press fighting back, but they can still remain above the frey. They don't need to stoop to Trump's or the Enquirer's level. It's not a good look when publish an article with what looks to be you blackmailing someone.

• Fire 2

This is extremely frustrating for me. I have been very outspoken about the media in American politics for a long time. I have said that the media in this country can do way more damage than any one person elected to go to Washington.

So, a revolt against the media is something I saw coming and I believe we need to hold media accountable.

HOWEVER, this is going pathetically in the wrong direction. When I was saying those things, I was specifically talking about outlets like Fox News, MSNBC, Breitbart, Infowars, Salon.......etc. that specifically cater to one side and are filled with propaganda to support that side and demonize the other. We severely need media in this country that fights hard to stay non-partisan and is willing to report as truthfully as they can no matter what political party or ideology the politician is aligned with.

What we have though, is a pathetic example of what all this brings forth. We have a man in office who FOSTERS this and FEEDS off of this and promotes the outlets that should be fought against while demonizing the ones that are actually trying to do their jobs.

This is extremely concerning to me. We have a crisis in this country with whom we have elected as President. BUT....a large number of voters will just hunker down in their basements consuming more and more radical crap instead of shunning that for what is trying to be actually accurate reporting.

All in the name of "Party Politics".