Bo Pelini & Ma'Lik Richmond

zoogs

Do the people that think she is "milking" her experience think that she should travel the country, give speeches, design a website, write a book, etc all on her own dime or for free?

Some of you in here pay money to have pancakes with a football coach and listen to them talk about far less socially and morally important topics as rape.

She's doing all of that because they are paying her big money for it. If the money wasn't in it, she probably wouldn't do any of it. That's the argument for "milking" it.

As I said earlier, I don't care if she is. Good for her.

Do the people that think she is "milking" her experience think that she should travel the country, give speeches, design a website, write a book, etc all on her own dime or for free?

Some of you in here pay money to have pancakes with a football coach and listen to them talk about far less socially and morally important topics as rape.

She's doing all of that because they are paying her big money for it. If the money wasn't in it, she probably wouldn't do any of it. That's the argument for "milking" it.

As I said earlier, I don't care if she is. Good for her.

It doesn't really matter if someone cares that she is "milking it." It matters if that is what you believe she is doing.

I would argue no one would do anything like this if there wasn't financial backing. People have to make a living. And if she can do that by telling of her experiences and hopefully get through to even one person, it's worth every penny. And it is in no way milking it.

Yes, exactly. "But" was in response to this, to be clear:

If the money wasn't in it, she probably wouldn't do any of it. That's the argument for "milking" it.

Taking the national barometer on this, I think this dim view on work like Brenda's is distressingly prevalent, and just as troubling, so are the positive/forgiving ones on the other side.

Also, if this is the kind of fairness all young rapists should receive, I think something that's hard to get away from is how often it's the athletically talented ones that get these passes. Not every rapist is a football or baseball player; what happens to the ones who don't deliver value to athletics departments?

....can this guy ever be treated by like a normal person? Is he still an unemployable, unworthy of anything rapist 25 years from now?

No he shouldn't be treated like a normal person anymore. But he's not unemployable either. And we aren't talking 25 years from now. We are talking right now. Our views of him 25 years from now can be different based on what he does in life between now and then.

But I guess that's kind of my point. What should society allow him to do between now and then? It's apparent some don't want to allow him to play football so what else can't he do now and how is that giving him any chance to be more socially accepted 25 years from now?

And to clarify, the more I find out about this situation the more I think Pelini is screwing the pooch. This is not the type of person that a coach should be searching out and then vouching for in this fashion. Initially I thought maybe it wasn't the worst decision but now I think it is a very bad look for YSU and Pelini and I don't think this kid has done enough to deserve any breaks at this point.

I think the worst offenders in this saga remain the high school that rallied around their guy. He served a 10-month sentence, then returned to play football his senior year. Their coach was testifying on behalf of their character. The guy who was sentenced with him, who was perhaps the primary perpetrator in the rape of this young girl, was playing football again for some college by 2015. /vomit

It's hard to make straightforward villains out of Bo or Youngstown State for this. I can understand this defense where "Hey, he's a student in good standing. What do you want us to keep him out of, and how?"

But man. We, as a society, have GOT to get past the treating of rape as the kind of error where one does one's time, pays dues, and gets on with their lives. No, no. They raped a fellow human being. The victims and not the perpetrators are the people around whom we should be rallying, and that's impossible in a world where we're selectively permitting or even cheering on the athletically gifted among the rapists to write their redemption stories -- schools, coaches, fans and athletic departments behind them.

The message here is simple. Women don't matter. Hurt them how you like, we'll find a program that will do great things for your development and some football coaches who will testify to your "humbleness". It's a brutal, perverse world. To change it, it's on us to change our attitudes about how acceptable is the status quo.

• Fire 1

The kid was tried and convicted of rape c'mon people this really shouldn't be this hard.

I don't care if he was a juvenile, rape is rape and 25 years from now if he's still judged and looked upon as a rapist than that's his own damn fault. Would you seriously ask the same question for a murderer, sex offender, etc.

end of thread

• Fire 1

....can this guy ever be treated by like a normal person? Is he still an unemployable, unworthy of anything rapist 25 years from now?

No he shouldn't be treated like a normal person anymore. But he's not unemployable either. And we aren't talking 25 years from now. We are talking right now. Our views of him 25 years from now can be different based on what he does in life between now and then.

But I guess that's kind of my point. What should society allow him to do between now and then? It's apparent some don't want to allow him to play football so what else can't he do now and how is that giving him any chance to be more socially accepted 25 years from now?

And to clarify, the more I find out about this situation the more I think Pelini is screwing the pooch. This is not the type of person that a coach should be searching out and then vouching for in this fashion. Initially I thought maybe it wasn't the worst decision but now I think it is a very bad look for YSU and Pelini and I don't think this kid has done enough to deserve any breaks at this point.

There are certain "benefits" that come with being part of a college sports program. Even when you are a walk on. I think that is where I and several others have a problem with this story.

Society was going to leave him alone as he went to college to pursue a degree in whatever field he chose. No one said a word. It's when Pelini asked him to be part of the football program to represent the university and help him win games is where people had the problem.

• Fire 1

People suggesting she had a "plan" are ridiculous. I, for one, never suggested that at all. I just wonder, if the financial opportunity didn't prevent itself, would she still be silent?

This will be my last comment on the "milking" matter, because it really doesn't matter to me, and shouldn't matter to anyone. She has a right to make a living too.

People suggesting she had a "plan" are ridiculous. I, for one, never suggested that at all. I just wonder, if the financial opportunity didn't prevent itself, would she still be silent?

This will be my last comment on the "milking" matter, because it really doesn't matter to me, and shouldn't matter to anyone. She has a right to make a living too.

She isn't doing it just for the money, like some people are saying that she is, but the money is letting her do this full-time. I think that is what you are getting at as well.