Husker Chalk TalkConcept Wednesday: Slot Fade

It's articles like these that make me hopeful for the upcoming year and think our offense could be the best in the West, but then I go and listen to The Bottom Line Round table and Dirk and Sam are questioning the skill position talent and think the offense will struggle... I just don't see that unless the OLine is swiss cheese all year.

Tangent -- If anyone wants a depressing take on the talent this year listen here (around 9:50 mark Dirk says "Nebraska has no difference makers at WR" then continues to pound away on it for a couple minutes): http://owh.backbonebroadcast.com/owh_mp3/POD20170829180346.mp3 I completely disagree but maybe I am just that biased and am overlooking a lot, but I think we have a pretty athletic and capable group of WR

36 minutes ago, LilRedIsABadOmen said:

It's articles like these that make me hopeful for the upcoming year and think our offense could be the best in the West, but then I go and listen to The Bottom Line Round table and Dirk and Sam are questioning the skill position talent and think the offense will struggle... I just don't see that unless the OLine is swiss cheese all year.

Tangent -- If anyone wants a depressing take on the talent this year listen here (around 9:50 mark Dirk says "Nebraska has no difference makers at WR" then continues to pound away on it for a couple minutes): http://owh.backbonebroadcast.com/owh_mp3/POD20170829180346.mp3 I completely disagree but maybe I am just that biased and am overlooking a lot, but I think we have a pretty athletic and capable group of WR

Rule of thumb: don't listen to Dirk. 

• Plus1 3

Does It Work With Nebraska’s Personnel?

Absolutely, and in fact Nebraska in 2017 has the perfect personnel to run it. Lee is an accurate, big-armed QB that understands how to move safeties with his eyes. It’s one of offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf’s emphasized coaching points, and you can be sure Lee will be well versed in the importance of controlling safeties with his eyes. And on the outside, J.D. Spielman is an ideal athlete for the slot fade. He’s quick enough off the line of scrimmage to get away from press coverage but also fast enough to get vertical as well to create space away from the FS. Additionally, he’s got great body control, an essential ingredient for working away from the safety while trying to make difficult catches over the outside shoulder. And though Tyjon Lindsey is lining up primarily on the outside, don’t be surprised if they find ways to motion him inside to the slot to work the Slot Fade concept.

I agree with his assessment. These are throws that our last 2 QB's simply couldn't make.

4 hours ago, alwayshusking said:

From that article (emphasis mine):

In any event, the far more likely scenario for 2017 is that you’ll see more Nickel and Dime personnel against the remaining spread offenses on the schedule.  When Nebraska did get into Nickel and Dime , it looked much better against Arkansas State’s throw-to-run setup.  What you saw on Saturday playing Base personnel against 3 and 4 WR sets probably won’t happen again all year.  So before we hit the panic button on Diaco’s defense, understand that there may be very little predictive value to the Arkansas State game.

But keep an eye on this against Oregon because the Ducks are an 11 personnel team as well.  Nebraska will need to find a much better answer for that personnel grouping than they had last night.  I suspect Diaco has it, but the jury is still out.