I mean....

Redux

20 minutes ago, VizionNE said:

The point is: they are a competent program. They win. 

Yes, against the SUN BELT. Look at their record the past few years, especially against P5 teams, and especially in the early part of the schedule. That's not the profile of some overachieving small program, that's the profile of a team that gets into bowls because the bar is very low and they play in a low tier conference.

This was a team that lined up poorly, had to take unnecessary timeouts, unnecessary penalties, bad snaps, bad tackling, turned the ball over, gave up points on special teams, gave up points on offense. I dont care what their shirt says, this was not a good performance they put up today.

• Plus1 3

6 minutes ago, 1995 Redux said:

I know that barely nudging out Arkansas State is not noticeable the  progress  we should be seeing in year 3. Wisconsin. Ohio state overcame early defecits.  That's the difference.  And they played tougher squads.

11 games left.  I get it.  I hate being that guy, but yikes guys.

Interesting you mentioned Wisconsin. They almost lost a game to a subpar FCS team a year or two ago. Plenty of teams this opening week had bad showings. It's not about how you start the season it's how you end it.

6 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

Interesting you mentioned Wisconsin. They almost lost a game to a subpar FCS team a year or two ago. Plenty of teams this opening week had bad showings. It's not about how you start the season it's how you end it.

Wisconsin was down 0-10.  They won 59-10

We have the team to do that too, but did not do it.  Not even close.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, 1995 Redux said:

Wisconsin was down 0-10.  They won 59-10

We have the team to do that too, but did not do it.  Not even close.

His point was they barely escaped vs Georgia State last year, a much worse team than Ark State, they still won the division and went to a New Year's Six bowl. 

How the rest of the season goes will define this performance in a weird way. Either it was a harbinger of things to come or it was a blip on the radar. Let's hope it was a blip.

Just now, alwayshusking said:

His point was they barely escaped vs Georgia State last year, a much worse team than Ark State, they still won the division and went to a New Year's Six bowl. 

How the rest of the season goes will define this performance in a weird way. Either it was a harbinger of things to come or it was a blip on the radar. Let's hope it was a blip.

Blip or not, this could have easily been a loss.

It was a live scrimmage.  Both teams struggled to stop each other, both had pretty good QBs, and both teams had several miscues.  Even the officiating had 1st game blunders. 

I was impressed with Lee, Bryant, Hoppes, Spielman, Morgan, and the OL at times.  The D was playing soft coverage and got burnt by it. They have to fix that right away.  Not a good way to defend against a spread offense.  I think they had over 80 plays to defend against.  The Blackshirts were gassed.

• Plus1 2
Just now, DrunkOffPunch said:

They lost 4 games by 2, 5, 10, and 6. And finished by holding the Heisman winner to 9 points. What exactly is? Keep in mind we're talking about Wisconsin who only lost 3 games by 1 score each, all of which were top 10 teams. What is a good measuring stick then?

If the goal is to almost win a division title, then sure.