Putting Ourselves In Bad Situations/Tanner Lee

seaofred92

58 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

If I had to blame anyone for this loss, I would have to put it on Lee and the entire Defensive game plan in the first half.  Yes, the offense put the D in bad situations, but.....you have to step up and play better than they did.

I agree. Totally agree.

I think there's a good chance Lee can *and will* improve much over these next three games prior to playing Wisconsin. The kid hadn't played a down of football for a full season. He comes out two games ago and take his first snap with this team. 

There have been flashes of what this offense can be. It can be an offense where the run gets us into 3rd & short consistently, and then we have the weapons to convert those third downs through the air if needed. This is what we've needed for so long - We've needed a QB and offensive scheme combination that forces defensive coordinators to stay honest and not just be able to bank on blitzing to consistently ruin us. 

I can't tell exactly why Lee is looking for Morgan so often. Sometimes it seems like he's staring him down most plays. We'll see what happens. I still like the potential with the passing game...but Lee has to be throwing the ball well.

• Plus1 1

15 hours ago, BoneyardHusker said:

So Oregon capitalized off Nebraska's mistakes. If Nebraska would have capitalized off of half of 70% Oregon's mistakes in the second half we win the game. Our offense got stuck when we needed them the most.

Yeah I had this argument on another thread with someone saying Oregons breaks in the game were bigger because they led to scores. That's because they capitalized!! We had them on the ropes in the 3rd when we got an INT and stalled in Duck territory. The saying you make your own luck has never been more true. 

9 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

When you get down 42-14 it takes a lot of what you can do as an offense. He was put into some bad spots, but at the end of the day throwing under 50% and 4 INTs just isn't a good football game. 2 of those picks weren't his fault. I love Stanley, but we went to him too much like he was Randy Moss. I didn't understand not getting DPE and Spielman more involved, even if it was just some quick screens. Tyjon will be a good player for us, but I saw some timidness Saturday. He isn't on the level yet of the previous 2 mentioned who are known play makers. 

Lee is the one throwing the ball and making these decisions, the coach isn't telling him to throw it to him every time.  He ultimately goes and reads the play, makes the decision on where to throw it.  So who's fault is it Langsdorf for constantly calling first reads to Morgan or Lee for making incorrect reads against a below average defense.

Edited by Enhance
This board is better than silly, insulting nicknames for the coaches.
8 hours ago, bugeater17 said:

Good analysis. Tough game for Lee. As some other posters stated, we just don't seem to play with confidence. I think Lee was a little rattled after the first pass/int. HIs lack of mobility didn't give him an outlet to avoid an aggressive D. Langs did him no favors as it didn't seem there were many plays called with check downs to the back available. Going forward Langs needs to incorporate the rb into the passing game to take advantage of the aggressive LB play.

I think to a degree, he has held the RB in to assist in the blitz pick up.  That's what worries me the most with the RB situation going forward.  If Tre was your starter based upon several criteria, blocking being one of them, that is concerning.  Wilbon missed one his first snap against Oregon.  I am guessing (hoping) moving forward we have a definite starter at RB (if Tre is a no go) that they can really work with to get pass pro up to speed.....

I do agree that we need to make that available.  Sounded like that would be a staple of the new O i.e. Lucky under Cally.  But we really haven't seen that too much if at all. I'd rather try some RB screens or outlet than that screen that we can't ever seem to get....

We have completed 2 passes to RBs.  McNitt 1 for 11 yards and Wilbon 1 for 4.

That is something that has just baffled me so far the first two games.  I thought this would be a much bigger part of the game.  We have a QB that can make the RB screen passes or RB passes in the flats.

I know they have been held in sometimes for pass pro.  However, I remember a lot of plays where they weren't but yet....we never go to them.  It's more like they are a decoy to draw an LB off to cover him.

This is a way to slow down that pass rush.  We know those plays are in the play book because we've seen them before with a QB that COULDN'T complete them.

• Plus1 4

That's an excellent point.  It's been noted since Riley got here that he runs a lot of screens.  Obviously TA was terrible at them but even beyond that our timing always seemed completely screwed up.  

Media guys noted several times this spring/fall that they were working on a lot of screens.  Though McKewon did note one time that they didn't look good.

I think we ran at least one against Arky St.  Was that Wilbon's catch?  Seemed like it worked once and another time the timing was kind of screwed up again but I can't remember for sure.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

That's an excellent point.  It's been noted since Riley got here that he runs a lot of screens.  Obviously TA was terrible at them but even beyond that our timing always seemed completely screwed up.  

Media guys noted several times this spring/fall that they were working on a lot of screens.  Though McKewon did note one time that they didn't look good.

I think we ran at least one against Arky St.  Was that Wilbon's catch?  Seemed like it worked once and another time the timing was kind of screwed up again but I can't remember for sure.

This is what I don't get.  From spring/fall the RB screen and the jet sweeps were allegedly the staples of the O.......Great way to stop the D from over selling is a few dump passes to the RB or shuttle pass, yet they are non-existent.  I still don't see a lot of "great" play calling with their guy in.  Better passing?  Maybe, but no real difference other than we no longer have a QB run game.