Rutgers Week Pressers

Mavric

Just now, knapplc said:

Yeah, I'm about 100% sure it's on the O Line. 

If we're talking predictability, that's something to look at for the first pick-six. That dude knew that play was coming by alignment alone.  I don't think I've ever seen a DB jump a route on another receiver quite like that.

To be fair, I'm fairly certain a very similar thing happened early in the 2008 Oklahoma game that was right up there with last week's game as first half meltdowns go.

But you're right.  It's very rare.  And very obvious.

I know this is likely coach-speak, but man it's frustrating to hear a guy with decades of head coaching experience say something like this. 

This is the kind of process you have hammered out in the second or third season of your coaching career.  You shouldn't need to reexamine it because it's broken at this stage.

• Plus1 5
9 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I know this is likely coach-speak, but man it's frustrating to hear a guy with decades of head coaching experience say something like this. 

This is the kind of process you have hammered out in the second or third season of your coaching career.  You shouldn't need to reexamine it because it's broken at this stage.

Riley is the king of coach speak.  Probably what he does best.  He knows what people want to hear so that's what he says.  Doesn't matter if it means anything or not.  

Bad loss?  We gotta change our approach.

People think we should run more?  Throwing it 40 times per game isn't a recipe for success.

Not that anything ever changes.  But I guess some people probably feel better that he says things like this.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Hoping to do some film study here soon.  I'm not convinced the problems are near as much with the OL as they are with formations/predictability.

Though that has the same effect as far as who they QB is.

Agreed - I haven't watched the replays yet but from my first impression our formations, motion, and also alignments within the formation make the play call pretty predictable. 

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Riley is the king of coach speak.  Probably what he does best.  He knows what people want to hear so that's what he says.  Doesn't matter if it means anything or not.  

Bad loss?  We gotta change our approach.

People think we should run more?  Throwing it 40 times per game isn't a recipe for success.

Not that anything ever changes.  But I guess some people probably feel better that he says things like this.

He's a pro at providing answers after tough losses... been doing it his whole career. However, he struggles on the implementation of such changes. 

7 hours ago, Undone said:

Agreed. So frustrating.

It's as if his idea of sports psychology in general is, "Maybe what you prepare for will work, or maybe it won't" instead of "We coach our players to work towards being the best out there and we're going to do whatever it takes to turn this bad start around."

You know...we used to have THE best sports psychology department in the nation, and it changed in the late 90s IIRC. Perhaps this should also be an area under the microscope as well?

I can guarantee that if a high school coach in Texas had this attitude he would be shown the door. Why make a statement like this?   This shows what his mind set is and this becomes that of the team.  Look how poorly we played in the first three games!!! I hate to rag on coaches ( I was one myself )  but the amount of money   the state is paying these coaches, they need to be held accountable for all aspects of the teams performance.  No excuses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20 hours ago, knapplc said:

Yeah, I'm about 100% sure it's on the O Line. 

If we're talking predictability, that's something to look at for the first pick-six. That dude knew that play was coming by alignment alone.  I don't think I've ever seen a DB jump a route on another receiver quite like that.

The o-line was awful. They made the Northern Illinois d-line look like a bunch of five star athletes. Cav is not a good coach, so don't expect it to get any better. He's also stubborn and doesn't want to make changes to *his* lineup. 

Remember when there was talk of Boe Wilson burning his redshirt? Is he still on the team? Did he get worse or something? There are obviously communication problems, which falls on the center. The same center that actually did a pretty good job at right tackle. Maybe moving Conrad to RT and letting Decker play wouldn't be the worst thing? Also, I'm still not sure why Gates is playing left tackle. He's not a tackle. 

I just shudder thinking about this line going against Penn St, Ohio St, and Wisconsin. Yikes