Just watched replay

mwj98

4 minutes ago, Undone said:

Agreed. Hoppes is not playing good football. 

When you put two tight ends on the line for a power set to run the ball and neither is blocking well, you're asking your I-Back to run into a big cluster. We have done that over and over in the first four games. 

Tomorrow night's game is a big one for me in my opinion of Langsdorf. Either the guy adjusts and does something different or he doesn't. If he doesn't, Wisconsin will blow us out and this staff is on a 100% crash course towards being wiped out at the end of the year. If he does adjust, I'm hoping he roughly splits the carries between Wilbon and Ozigbo. Wilbon as the started, Ozigbo getting more carries in the second half.

Wisky is thing to man up press our wideouts with 9 in the box and dare us to beat them..... Just like last year. 

Agreed. Hoppes is not playing good football. 

When you put two tight ends on the line for a power set to run the ball and neither is blocking well, you're asking your I-Back to run into a big cluster. We have done that over and over in the first four games. 

Tomorrow night's game is a big one for me in my opinion of Langsdorf. Either the guy adjusts and does something different or he doesn't. If he doesn't, Wisconsin will blow us out and this staff is on a 100% crash course towards being wiped out at the end of the year. If he does adjust, I'm hoping he roughly splits the carries between Wilbon and Ozigbo. Wilbon as the started, Ozigbo getting more carries in the second half.

I think Hoppes has been severely overrated. I think it may be time to give Snyder, Stoll and some younger guys a look at TE.

• Plus1 2

There has to be more run plays that Riley and Langsdorf can cook up. Even if it's just one play, like a power toss to the outside, etc. Or even a draw for the I-Back out of the shotgun.

I'd also love to see the ball get thrown to Wilbon in the flat. He's great as a receiver. 

I don't know how many more games I can take just watching the line collapse as Lee keys in on the one guy running deep on designed passing downs.

• Plus1 1

There has to be more run plays that Riley and Langsdorf can cook up. Even if it's just one play, like a power toss to the outside, etc. Or even a draw for the I-Back out of the shotgun.

I'd also love to see the ball get thrown to Wilbon in the flat. He's great as a receiver. 

I don't know how many more games I can take just watching the line collapse as Lee keys in on the one guy running deep on designed passing downs.

Agreed - couple that with complex pre-snap motion(s) only to be followed by basic and predictable plays run out of the same formations and splits is infuriating. 

• Plus1 1

I'm baffled at something.

I have sat here and read post after post ranting about how Langs tries to run too many things and how they need to run fewer plays and get better at running those plays.

NOW....I'm reading posts from people upset that we ran fewer plays and were successful with those fewer plays because....."Riley and Langs needs to cook up more plays".

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm baffled at something.

I have sat here and read post after post ranting about how Langs tries to run too many things and how they need to run fewer plays and get better at running those plays.

NOW....I'm reading posts from people upset that we ran fewer plays and were successful with those fewer plays because....."Riley and Langs needs to cook up more plays".

You could look back at every post of mine from the last three years and see that I am not one of those people.

As far as running plays go, we have very few looks and blocking schemes. Rewatch the games closely and you'll see that for yourself. As another poster said, we often change the pre-snap motions, but we're very predictable in how any given running play is being executed.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Undone said:

You could look back at every post of mine from the last three years and see that I am not one of those people.

As far as running plays go, we have very few looks and blocking schemes. Rewatch the games closely and you'll see that for yourself. As another poster said, we often change the pre-snap motions, but we're very predictable in how any given running play is being executed.

This is not abnormal.  I'm only bringing this offense up because it's so familiar to all of us.

TO was heard saying many many times that they really have just a few running plays that they run out of multiple formations.  You give different looks that the defense needs to be aware of and a few things you can run out of each formation that counters each play.  BUT....the total actual runs being ran are pretty few.

18 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is not abnormal.  I'm only bringing this offense up because it's so familiar to all of us.

So as far as avoiding this season being a complete dumpster fire, it's my opinion that we have to alter the existing run/pass ration to be more run heavy. But, running the ball has been a bit rough for us. Not terrible, but a bit rough.

So what do we do, Buster? Any opinions?

My opinion is that we need less inside zone and we need to try to work it outside more. 

16 hours ago, Warrior10 said:

Holy $hit. Just rewatched part of the game, the WR and TE's we are currently sending on the field is pathetic. 

Consistently playing Rahn, Young, Claussen....especially at the same time is disastrous. Ketter and Hoppes are getting killed at the LOS. 

We started the 2nd half with: Rahn, Young, Hoppes, Ketter. Tell me why any defense isn't going to stack the box and attack the LOS. 

Not to mention we don't have a guy that has shown the ability to make a defense pay deep consistently....Cameron Brown needs to get here asap.

Dr. Route/Savage Professional needs to quit whiffing in recruiting and bring is some ball players. 

Rant over.....

Oh ya and Sedrick King should never play a meaningful snap again. 

And Kieron Williams is a helluva luxury as your 4th safety (probably 5th if Domann wasn't hurt).

Injuries and Weed have decimated our WR corp. 

1 hour ago, Undone said:

So as far as avoiding this season being a complete dumpster fire, it's my opinion that we have to alter the existing run/pass ration to be more run heavy. But, running the ball has been a bit rough for us. Not terrible, but a bit rough.

So what do we do, Buster? Any opinions?

My opinion is that we need less inside zone and we need to try to work it outside more. 

So....you're going with the Callahan mode of let's play so conservative that the losses aren't as bad as what they could be.

To me, you do the absolute best play calling you can to be aggressive and smart at the same time.  That will include both passing and running.  You don't all of a sudden decide you're going to throw a large part of the play book away simply because you don't want the season to be as bad as it looks. 

If we are going to lose games, I want it being done going full steam ahead and not while crawling in a hole hoping it's not as bad.

Now, the play calling needs to improve.  We have seen plays that are in the play book that would all be a big part of being successful.  They just need to be called in a smarter sequence and in better situations.....and, the O line has got to get the job done.

1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

Injuries and Weed have decimated our WR corp. 

And Savage Wideouts missing on guys and not filling his allotted slots 2 straight classes. 

Having Morgan, McQuitty and KJJ out shouldn't break our depth like it did. It's not like when VV and Collins declared early and McMullen randomly quit. The depth chart has been solid for the most part since he got here. Grim is the only semi-surprise and the coaches knew that spring he was considering it. 

3 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

And Savage Wideouts missing on guys and not filling his allotted slots 2 straight classes. 

Having Morgan, McQuitty and KJJ out shouldn't break our depth like it did. It's not like when VV and Collins declared early and McMullen randomly quit. The depth chart has been solid for the most part since he got here. Grim is the only semi-surprise and the coaches knew that spring he was considering it. 

Yep. More Average than Savage.