Who's worth keeping?

2 hours ago, Enhance said:

But you would agree, would you not, that sticking within the same scheme with the same coach is likely less complicated than bringing a new coach to go back to a base 4-3?

I'll try to answer this best I can, this will be longer than it needs to be, but I think putting it down in one post will save time later.

First, base defense designations of a common front like that are meaningless in today's game because the concept of a base defense is kinda fading away. That designation made sense when teams passed the ball more on specific downs, and therefore used specific personnel in specific situations. In today's game, you may never leave nickel or dime personnel for the entire game, and teams are just as likely to use 3 or 4 WR on first down as they are third down. Regardless of defense, you're likely to see 4 rushers and 7 in coverage because of min/max basic defensive theory principles. This has meant that some descriptors we've always used, like FS/SS are no longer relevant. OLB/DE is a messy concept entirely these days. In general usage its often better to just describe them as edge players. Specific teams will use specific terms like Cat, Dog, Monkey, Squirrel, whatever.  

When I refer to scheme, it is front agnostic, for the most part. Scheme should be described as the general rules and philosophies describing a specific defense. Things like Strength Declaration, Handling Motion/Shifts, Gap Philosophy, Coverage Philosophy, etc.

To answer the question: Yes and No. If you're switching to Pelini's defense, regardless of what you're switching from, it's probably less complicated to switch. Pelini's defense is a pretty quick install, doesn't take long. In general, I wouldn't ever make a coaching decision based on this particular question. Football is football. The biggest initial hurdle is vocabulary because everyone uses different words and one guys word is another thing in another guys defense. After that, its mostly tweaking things to accommodate for philosophy and that's done very quickly if the players already know the basic ideas.

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

This isn't about not letting the coach pick the staff. It's about who the coach should keep. They're people he could pick.

I get what you are saying, but it's only fair to let the new coach select his assistants as he sees fit. I didn't like it when TO forced Watson and Gilmore on Bo, and I wouldn't expect the new coach (if one is hired) to be told who to keep around.

If Riley is fired, his assistant coaches will choose to go elsewhere, rather than stick around NU. The only exception would be Parrella, given his previous association with the University and team. 

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

I get what you are saying, but it's only fair to let the new coach select his assistants as he sees fit.

Then you don't get what I'm saying.

The OP is asking who's worth keeping/who the coach should keep.

He's not saying it shouldn't be up to the coach to do whatever he wants.

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I get what you are saying, but it's only fair to let the new coach select his assistants as he sees fit. I didn't like it when TO forced Watson and Gilmore on Bo, and I wouldn't expect the new coach (if one is hired) to be told who to keep around.

If Riley is fired, his assistant coaches will choose to go elsewhere, rather than stick around NU. The only exception would be Parrella, given his previous association with the University and team. 

The only coaches with ties to Riley are Cavanaugh, Davis and Langsdorf.  DW hasn't even been here a year.  Same with Diaco.  KW has a son here.  And Parella is an alum.

• Plus1 1

10 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Honestly, other than Parrella, I don't think any of the assistants would want to stay.  They are all tied to Riley, not NU.  Bray has been a Riley guy forever, and he's been linked to higher jobs.  The two Williamses are known as great recruiters, so they will have their picks of jobs, too.

I doubt Keith Williams will have his pick of jobs considering his three DUIs

1 minute ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

I doubt Keith Williams will have his pick of jobs considering his three DUIs

I know but I really am wondering about perception as a coach?  That is him jumping around on the sidelines during games, right?  I guess any coach can have a group that isn't quite as good as the others and it is still fairly early.  

3 minutes ago, Rike Miley said:

Well a lot of NFL wide receivers seem to think hes a good coach since they train with him in the offseason. But hes not up to ColoradoHusk's standards so hes not a good coach. 

I understand he has guys that like to train with him in the offseason, but he doesn't seem to be a difference maker with our WR's, including a lot of drops so far this year.