Who's worth keeping?

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I understand he has guys that like to train with him in the offseason, but he doesn't seem to be a difference maker with our WR's, including a lot of drops so far this year. 

Hard to catch the ball when the QB is so inaccuarate. And we have some good receivers. Morgan has improved since last year. Spielman has a very bright future. DPE has improved some. And injuries are forcing guys like Gabe Rahn and Bryan Reimers to see the field. Both of those guys would never sniff the field at OSU, Michigan and PSU.  But youre right, hes underwhelming. We should bring back Rich Fischer to coach WR again. 

1 minute ago, Rike Miley said:

Hard to catch the ball when the QB is so inaccuarate. And we have some good receivers. Morgan has improved since last year. Spielman has a very bright future. DPE has improved some. And injuries are forcing guys like Gabe Rahn and Bryan Reimers to see the field. Both of those guys would never sniff the field at OSU, Michigan and PSU.  But youre right, we should bring back Rich Fischer to coach WR again. 

I think we now have a  sabermatrician on staff so maybe this number is somewhere, but how many of those drops hit the receivers in the hands?  Not saying Lee is misrepresented but the WR aren't making timely catches either.  

6 minutes ago, Rike Miley said:

Hard to catch the ball when the QB is so inaccuarate. And we have some good receivers. Morgan has improved since last year. Spielman has a very bright future. DPE has improved some. And injuries are forcing guys like Gabe Rahn and Bryan Reimers to see the field. Both of those guys would never sniff the field at OSU, Michigan and PSU.  But youre right, hes underwhelming. We should bring back Rich Fischer to coach WR again. 

Why is the joke answer to everything "Bring back Bo's coach?"  I have never said anything about wanting Rick Fisher back, but you make that comment. I just think that Keith Williams seems like a replacement-level WR coach. He may be thought of as a good recruiter, but this year's WR group hasn't been good. 

I'd let Cav and Langs go immediately if not sooner. In regards to KW, he is a phenomenal recruiter.  He has done well this year considering we lost like 90% of our catches from last year.  Throw in some young guys thrown into the fire earlier than expected and a QB, who statistically is worse than TA through just 4 games, and he is is doing well.

Defensively, Diaco has shown improvement, or like Banker and Paps, Carl etc before him, we feast on maker teams and famine against those with an offense.  I hate how our DB's play. Is it scheme or Booker/Wiliams or Diaco?  That's where I'm at.  Williams can flat recruit. That's great, but can he develop?

We are getting some stars in, but the play is rather pedestrian.  Don't think it's talent, I think it's coaching.  Hard to judge Booker and Williams, really even Diaco in year one...

Going with the OP's question, I'd keep the defensive staff and KW.  The O is a complete and total hot mess.  They are also the only part of the staff (except Bray) that is OSU in red.....and it shows IMHO....

7 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

I think we now have a  sabermatrician on staff so maybe this number is somewhere, but how many of those drops hit the receivers in the hands?  Not saying Lee is misrepresented but the WR aren't making timely catches either.  

The entire passing game has been awful. Bad play design, bad calls, no timing, bad decisions, bad awareness, sloppy routes, inaccurate passes, too many easy drops, poor pass protection by the line, backs and tight ends not knowing when to chip, backs and tight ends not knowing when to release.

I'm probably missing things and I didn't even mention the i word. Can anyone think of anything that has been consistently not terrible in the passing game through 4 games?

38 minutes ago, brophog said:

The entire passing game has been awful. Bad play design, bad calls, no timing, bad decisions, bad awareness, sloppy routes, inaccurate passes, too many easy drops, poor pass protection by the line, backs and tight ends not knowing when to chip, backs and tight ends not knowing when to release.

I'm probably missing things and I didn't even mention the i word. Can anyone think of anything that has been consistently not terrible in the passing game through 4 games?

Here are some articles on the passing game and the drops. For those who want the readers digest version, dudes are flat out dropping too many....

http://nebraska.247sports.com/Bolt/Keith-Williams-addresses-drops-issue-among-Nebraska-receivers-107662554

https://hailvarsity.com/s/2160/consistency-for-the-huskers-can-start-with-fewer-drops

7 minutes ago, lo country said:

Here are some articles on the passing game and the drops. For those who want the readers digest version, dudes are flat out dropping too many....

http://nebraska.247sports.com/Bolt/Keith-Williams-addresses-drops-issue-among-Nebraska-receivers-107662554

https://hailvarsity.com/s/2160/consistency-for-the-huskers-can-start-with-fewer-drops

Do we really need more bad news?

• Plus1 1
19 hours ago, gorp512 said:

When was the last time a coach was hired and he kept a major coordinator or multiple coaches? 

It happens. More often than not the coordinators aren't kept, but it isn't crazy depending on the coordinator.

When Justin Fuente was hired at Virginia Tech he kept Bud Foster as the DC. When Ed Orgeron went from interim head coach to regular head coach at LSU, he kept Dave Aranda as his DC. Urban Meyer kept Luke Fickell as the DC at Ohio State after Fickell was the interim head coach for a year when Tressel was fired.

But it depends on who the next head coach is. I'm fine with a new head coach cleaning house. I'd also be fine if he kept some coaches around.

21 hours ago, brophog said:

Not sure on what you mean by consistently not terrible, however i would say 3rd out of 14 in total passing yards would qualify.

1 hour ago, grandpasknee said:

I"d say keep Morraine, The Dude,  Landlord of Memorial Stadium, BB Hemingway and a few others.  I'd can the rest, including myself.  We've been under-performing for years.

Hope you guys have backup plans after getting canned. I guess I can go back to being a world-class thief.