Hypothetical: How does Tanner Lee's skillset translate....

Cdog923

14 minutes ago, Husker from Kansas said:

IF Frost comes here, I think Gebbia will be the guy, He has experience in a spread system in HS, he is a film junkie, and he's more athletic than Lee or POB. Plus as a RsFr he would have the potential to have 4 years as a starter, and the potential to win a whole lot of games and be the guy who orchestrated our turn around

....if Gebbia is here. 

19-22 in the second half Saturday. He can be inconsistent, but he shows flashes of great play. He can be extremely accurate and the arm strength and quick delivery are there. He can be overly confident and force at times but he has done that a lot less since Illinois. He can move enough to run a spread. Proper coaching could likely help his decision process then it just comes down to consistently executing which would likely be easier if the rest of the offense was working better. Again, don't think he would be ideal for a spread, don't think he is a first round draft choice. But I think he has the tools to flourish in either the spread or the NFL if he puts the work in. 

2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

It would be idiotic for Gebbia to transfer.  There will be an open competition this coming year.  Frost slings to ball around plenty.  And he has already used his RS, so he would not be playing immediately unless he drops down a division.

Yep. He has to be the odds on favorite as the starter next year and looking at how QBs have done under Frost that has to be exciting. 

3 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

....if Gebbia is here next year. 

Again why would he leave if he is the odds on favorite to start in an offense that makes QBs look great and obviously isn't a hindrance to going to the NFL (Marriota) Maybe his parents only trusted Riley and don't want their son coached by Frost. Otherwise I don't see why he would leave. His opportunity will be bigger with Frost at the helm. 

Edited by Nebfanatic
6 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Yep. He has to be the odds on favorite as the starter next year and looking at how QBs have done under Frost that has to be exciting. 

If Frost is hired, I would expect him to offer a scholly to Terry Wilson, Jr. (who he recruited to Oregon) or to Kai Locksley at Iowa Western.  They are more of the skill set that Frost prefers, and it wouldn't hurt to have an extra guy in for competition.

11 hours ago, Army_Allen said:

He's been tough physically and mentally here with the line and fan hate and has an obnoxiously quick release and great arm strength. I just think the issues he had during his time here were more than just on him and the line was more of a hindrance than you care to admit.

There's no question it's a team sport regardless of how good your QB is or isn't. However, if the question is 'how well does his skill set translate' the answer is not very well. He could be serviceable but only if they find a way to make up for his lack of mobility. Few people would take Lee seriously in a zone read or option play. He might get a few chunk plays here or there if the blocking sets up well and, if that's all they'd need him to do, then it could be serviceable.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

If Frost is hired, I would expect him to offer a scholly to Terry Wilson, Jr. (who he recruited to Oregon) or to Kai Locksley at Iowa Western.  They are more of the skill set that Frost prefers, and it wouldn't hurt to have an extra guy in for competition.

I would hope they bring another QB in or we will be very short on depth there (assuming Lee leaves) but I still like Gebbia over Locksley. Don't know much about the other guy but Gebbia has all the necessary skills and likely a better arm to boot. Watching a little bit of UCF it seems Frost prefers a passer who can run instead of an electric runner who can pass. That bodes well for Gebbia and Nebraska.

You and I have had this convo over and over and we are always on the flip sides of the same thing. I don't care who the QB is but they need to look good when they throw the ball because that is the QBs primary function. Having wheels is important too, especially in a read option type of offense, but the arm should be the most important trait. You can run the triple option with a slower QB, the key is how well do they read it. A slower guy who can execute the option to perfection is more dangerous a superb athlete who can't run it right. In an ideal world you get the arm the wheels and the decision making all in one package, but if you can't get that the next best option imo is to drop the wheels from the criteria.

All of this to say I think Gebbia would make a fantastic QB under Frost. If he brings in a guy and that guy is better all around so be it, but I would hope Frost wouldn't get so enamored by athleticism he puts all other deciding factors by the wayside. I don't think he would and a open competition is good for all involved. I just think given a fair shot Gebbia has a good chance to be the starter next year given he stays. 

25 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Again why would he leave if he is the odds on favorite to start in an offense that makes QBs look great and obviously isn't a hindrance to going to the NFL (Marriota) Maybe his parents only trusted Riley and don't want their son coached by Frost. Otherwise I don't see why he would leave. His opportunity will be bigger with Frost at the helm. 

38 minutes ago, Red Five said:

It would be idiotic for Gebbia to transfer.  There will be an open competition this coming year.  Frost slings to ball around plenty.  And he has already used his RS, so he would not be playing immediately unless he drops down a division.

Because Gebbia fits Frost's offense only slightly better than Lee does. Don't let the Spring Game fool you; Gebbia is a pocket passer, not a dual threat. Out of all our current QBs, POB is probably the best fit. 

Edited by Cdog923
  • Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Because Gebbia fits Frost's offense only slightly better than Lee does. Don't let the Spring Game fool you; Gebbia is a pocket passer, not a dual threat. Out of all our current QBs, POB is probably the best fit. 

First of all you are overblowing the run aspect of Frosts offense. Milton Mckenzie averages less than 5 yards a carry most games and hasn't had a big rushing game since Memphis. Go look at his stats, he isn't a huge threat in the run game. Gebbia is athletic enough to run this offense. Just because he was labeled a pocket passer out of high school doesn't mean he doesn't have mobility. He does, plenty enough to run the Frost offense

If we bring in a coach that runs a spread offense and all three QBs are still here, Lee will not be our starting QB unless some miraculous coaching happens and actually makes him realize he has to play tough and run the ball every once in a while.  Don't get me wrong, the kid is tough at getting hit in the back field.  But, he also needs to be convinced that he's a football player and sometimes pulling the ball down and even picking up 3-5 yards is a good play.  Some times, he would surprise himself and actually pick up more.

To make a spread offense work, you don't need a QB that runs like a deer.  You just need a tough kid that pulls it down every once in a  while and makes the defense account for him.

I was absolutely shocked when he actually did this in the PSU game.  There have been many times he should have done it throughout the year but didn't.

Edited by BigRedBuster
9 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I would hope they bring another QB in or we will be very short on depth there (assuming Lee leaves) but I still like Gebbia over Locksley. Don't know much about the other guy but Gebbia has all the necessary skills and likely a better arm to boot. Watching a little bit of UCF it seems Frost prefers a passer who can run instead of an electric runner who can pass. That bodes well for Gebbia and Nebraska.

You and I have had this convo over and over and we are always on the flip sides of the same thing. I don't care who the QB is but they need to look good when they throw the ball because that is the QBs primary function. Having wheels is important too, especially in a read option type of offense, but the arm should be the most important trait. You can run the triple option with a slower QB, the key is how well do they read it. A slower guy who can execute the option to perfection is more dangerous a superb athlete who can't run it right. In an ideal world you get the arm the wheels and the decision making all in one package, but if you can't get that the next best option imo is to drop the wheels from the criteria.

All of this to say I think Gebbia would make a fantastic QB under Frost. If he brings in a guy and that guy is better all around so be it, but I would hope Frost wouldn't get so enamored by athleticism he puts all other deciding factors by the wayside. I don't think he would and a open competition is good for all involved. I just think given a fair shot Gebbia has a good chance to be the starter next year given he stays. 

I don't disagree with you regarding Gebbia, he has the chance to be great under Frost's offense.  I just hope he would be big enough and durable enough. I haven't seen anything on Locksley, but he looks to be a big dude who is skilled and athletic.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

No one is saying that Gebbia is Taylor Martinez, but he has enough wheels and mobility to at least add the threat of a QB getting 10 yards on a zone read 5 times a game.

• Plus1 1