Creationist - Evolution Belief spectrum

What is your belief about the biblical creation story vs. evolution?  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The oldest earth age  estimate i could find by biblical scholars, was 15,000 years old and the youngest was 4000.

The radiometric/radiocarbon dating done on the oldest rock on earth, puts it's age at at least 4.374 billion years.

Even if both are in error to the tune of billions of years i see no way they are both correct. I think you have to pick one or the other to believe, since they are so far apart.

Edited by Big Red 40

27 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

The oldest earth age  estimate i could find by biblical scholars, was 15,000 years old and the youngest was 4000.

The Bible doesn't say anything about the age of the Earth. Asking a biblical scholar to answer that question is like asking a dentist how animals came to ever have teeth in the first place. It might seem like something related, but it's completely out of their wheelhouse of expertise.

If you ask Christian physicists, geologists and others, they'll tell you the earth is 4+ billion years old. Because their expertise actually speaks to the answer for that question. BioLogos is a great resource for Christian approaches to embracing science.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Big Red 40 said:

Biblical scholars interpret what they read in the Bible,  that is their area of expertise. Based solely on  the vague information (there is some )  in the Bible none of them came up with a figure close to 4 billion . 

Because the Bible doesn't say anything about how old the Earth is. 

Would you ask scholars of Tolkien's LOTR literature, or Oprah's book club, or a cook book author how old the earth is?

8 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Would you ask scholars of Tolkien's LOTR literature, or Oprah's book club, or a cook book author how old the earth is?

But the argument is over whether the Bible is saying the earth is 4,000-15,000 years old, not about whether the earth is 4,000-15,000 years old.

Just now, Moiraine said:

But the argument is over whether the Bible is saying the earth is 4,000-15,000 years old, not about whether the earth is 4,000-15,000 years old.

I know. And the answer is that the Bible is not saying the earth is any age whatsoever :lol:

It's just not in there.

50 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Nope but i would ask a biblical scholar what their interpretation of that book is. if you believe the Bible version of creation, God created the heavens and the EARTH in the 7 days of Genesis. Based on references to time, age etc, up to ,and after the crucifixion, that ARE in the Bible, they were able to estimate a timeline. At the very least the bible speaks of things in terms of  hundreds and thousands of years , not millions or billions. That reference isn't made in the Bible, At All , Whatsoever.  :blink:

Edited by Big Red 40
5 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

If you believe the Bible version of creation, God created the heavens and the EARTH in the 7 days of Genesis. 

I'd rephrase this to, "If you believe that we are supposed to literally, and with a scientific, modern, western lens, read this 4,000 year old text, recorded from a story passed down through oral tradition for thousands of years earlier,  from an ancient Eastern culture with no concepts of science, logic, rationalism, God created the heavens and the EARTH in the 7 days of Genesis."

Reason being, I believe the Bible version of creation. I just don't think it's saying what others seem to be thinking it's saying. 

Also interestingly, most all orthodox and conservative Jewish religious leaders don't believe in a literal 7 day creation story and endorse evolutionary theory and science's conclusions about the age of the earth and universe.

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I'd rephrase this to, "If you believe that we are supposed to literally, and with a scientific, modern, western lens, read this 4,000 year old text, recorded from a story passed down through oral tradition for thousands of years earlier,  from an ancient Eastern culture with no concepts of science, logic, rationalism, God created the heavens and the EARTH in the 7 days of Genesis."

Reason being, I believe the Bible version of creation. I just don't think it's saying what others seem to be thinking it's saying. 

Also interestingly, most all orthodox and conservative Jewish religious leaders don't believe in a literal 7 day creation story and endorse evolutionary theory and science's conclusions about the age of the earth and universe.

Its been 25+ years since i've regularly attended church and i can see that mentality now. It wasn't that way at any church i went  to "back in the day".  Strict bible based solutions were the answer to any question.

Just now, Big Red 40 said:

This is a great thread so ill quit hijacking it now lol

Back to the OP if there are any Muslims on the board? That's one i haven't looked into at all , though i plan to.

Hijack away, it's just discussion.  I find it quite interesting.  I was just being turd, and pointing out that God rested on the seventh day, so the world was created in six days.

• Plus1 1