Healthcare Reform

14 hours ago, knapplc said:

It doesn't work for those people. The death panels from those unregulated insurance companies decide who gets what care and who doesn't. And those who get care are bankrupted by it.

A civilized nation that boasts the "best" healthcare on the planet shouldn't force 2/3 of total bankruptcies out of unexpected healthcare costs.

That's simply absurd.

There are no death panels. 

The consumer has choices if they believe the insurance carrier does not cover the appropriate medical conditions or procedures. 

“Those who get care are bankrupted by it”. So you are saying everyone who gets care goes into BK because of the cost of that care?  Awful bold statement. 

Bankruptcies are a tough situation and medical bankruptcies And those illness related bankruptcies ties to out of work situations are even more so.  

Hopefully people are looking closer at their plan and choosing ones with an out of pocket maximum that fits their income and needs along with long term disability insurance 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

The consumer has choices if they believe the insurance carrier does not cover the appropriate medical conditions or procedures. 

This might be the biggest lie of the entire healthcare industry. The vast majority of Americans get their healthcare insurance through their employer, but very few get any say in who that provider is or what coverage they offer. Other coverage options that they cannot afford are not actually options.

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

This might be the biggest lie of the entire healthcare industry. The vast majority of Americans get their healthcare insurance through their employer, but very few get any say in who that provider is or what coverage they offer. Other coverage options that they cannot afford are not actually options.

I can only speak for myself and my immediate siblings, but every company I have ever worked for had different carrier choices and options within Those carriers to choose from.  Same with the current situations of my siblings.  Half of us work for large org’s and half for companies with under 1,000 employees.  

if someone really didn’t like their employer subsidized coverage and found a better option elsewhere, they can go get that policy.  

• Plus1 1

Just now, Archy1221 said:

I can only speak for myself and my immediate siblings, but every company I have ever worked for had different carrier choices and options within Those carriers to choose from.  Same with the current situations of my siblings.  Half of us work for large org’s and half for companies with under 1,000 employees.  

I'm glad you and yours have that kind of good experience. I have worked for Fortune 500 corporations and startups with less than 30 employees and have never had an option in insurers, only slight variations in the offered plans.

Just now, Archy1221 said:

if someone really didn’t like their employer subsidized coverage and found a better option elsewhere, they can go get that policy.  

Again, only if they can afford it. An unaffordable plan isn't an option. Take a look at the insurance coverage options for anyone getting laid off. Or the gig economy non-employees.

10 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I'm glad you and yours have that kind of good experience. I have worked for Fortune 500 corporations and startups with less than 30 employees and have never had an option in insurers, only slight variations in the offered plans.

Again, only if they can afford it. An unaffordable plan isn't an option. Take a look at the insurance coverage options for anyone getting laid off. Or the gig economy non-employees.

Isn’t this what Obamacare was supposed to solve though?  Provide affordable health insurance options on the individual marketplace?  Make costs go down. 

getting rid of the catastrophic plans was a mistake in my opinion.  Some of the healthier individuals loved those cheaper options that covered them in the event something major happened.  Otherwise, those people never really used healthcare resources and saved a bundle on premiums that could be saved for later.  

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Isn’t this what Obamacare was supposed to solve though?  Provide affordable health insurance options on the individual marketplace?  Make costs go down. 

It failed.

12 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

getting rid of the catastrophic plans was a mistake in my opinion.  Some of the healthier individuals loved those cheaper options that covered them in the event something major happened.  Otherwise, those people never really used healthcare resources and saved a bundle on premiums that could be saved for later.  

That's nice in theory, but some portion of those people will end up being underinsured because they will have unexpected healthcare issues. Plus those people will get older over time and need more healthcare, which means while they will save money at one point in their life, they'll pay a whole lot at another point. The way to prevent both of those is to cover everyone and spread the cost over their entire lifetime.

22 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I heard the Republican plan they're going to replace Obamacare with is going to fix this. Right?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, commando said:

it will be here in 2 weeks.   or at least that is what i have been hearing for the last 4 years.

They've been promising that "in two weeks" every month or so since Obamacare was passed, right?

Maybe it's coming after Infrastructure Week!  :lol:

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

They've been promising that "in two weeks" every month or so since Obamacare was passed, right?

Maybe it's coming after Infrastructure Week!  :lol:

Maybe it would come if there was no Obamacare to fall back in.  I think you know as well as I that our elected officials tend to do not much of anything until they are on a deadline.  Well, a repeal of Obamacare would have forced the Rep and Dem to come together with their best ideas and compromise on something better than Obamacare. Republicans have outlined ideas of what they want and some Rep groups have actual plans ready to be voted on. 

However:

I wouldn’t want a Republican only plan without Dem ideas as a part of that plan, just like it didn’t work to have a Dem only plan in  Obamacare.  It obviously hasn’t worked.  

1 minute ago, commando said:

right after mexico pays for the wall

Hehehehehehe.   Good contribution to a healthcare discussion forum. 

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Maybe it would come if there was no Obamacare to fall back in.  I think you know as well as I that our elected officials tend to do not much of anything until they are on a deadline.  Well, a repeal of Obamacare would have forced the Rep and Dem to come together with their best ideas and compromise on something better than Obamacare. Republicans have outlined ideas of what they want and some Rep groups have actual plans ready to be voted on. 

However:

I wouldn’t want a Republican only plan without Dem ideas as a part of that plan, just like it didn’t work to have a Dem only plan in  Obamacare.  It obviously hasn’t worked.  

Hehehehehehe.   Good contribution to a healthcare discussion forum. 

healthcare was never a priority of this administration...at least not improving it.  the wall however.....

• Plus1 2