War against movies

I’ll go along with horse crap. It’s Hollywood’s job to entertain us not promote values. That is better left up to parents, schools and churches and Hollywood is woefully ill equipped to be promoting social values.

Edited by Comfortably Numb

This made me angrier:

“As Hollywood begins to navigate the #MeToo landscape,” Tatiana Siegel reported, “one of the first casualties appears to be big-screen erotica. In the wake of the Harvey Weinstein scandal, studios are steering clear of sex.”

WTF does the #MeToo movement have to do with erotica and war movies?

The #MeToo movement has nothing at all to do with treating women like little weaklings who shouldn't be exposed to sex and violence. What in the holy hell? It's about not sexually harrassing/assaulting women or treating them as inferior men. It's pretty damn simple. Protecting people from erotica and war movies as a reaction to #MeToo is just a way of treating women as less than men.

I happen to like war movies. Especially ones like 300 where they're shirtless. Hell, let's have some combination erotica-war movies with men running around completely naked stabbing each other.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 1

I think the correlation to the #MeToo movement has to do with the pressure young female actors are put under to do nude scenes, where (comparatively) few young male actors are.  Maybe Hollywood is developing a conscience about that pressure and they're not forcing women into those situations right now. 

Hollywood, as an industry, has always been reactionary to things like this. As the #MeToo movement wanes Hollywood will get back to exploiting T&A for ticket sales, never fear.

• Plus1 1

The thing about violent movies and TV is that they tend to be unrealistic.  Combatants do incredible things with guns and swords that are humanly impossible.  Have you ever tried to shoot a beer can from 20 feet with a pistol?  It's a lot harder than it looks.  But in the movies people can shoot a guy in the forehead from 50 feet while he's moving.  

And the violence itself is unrealistic.  Soldiers get shot once in the movies and they die.  In real life I don't think people generally die right away unless it's a shot to the head, or heart, or other vital organ.  War movies wouldn't be as popular if they showed soldiers writhing around on the ground with their legs blown apart below the knees.  It would be more realistic if there was more crying and screaming and people s#!tting themselves as they take shots to the body.

War movies probably wouldn't be as popular if they were more like real life and less like video games.  :shrug:  

==========================================  

That said, some of my favorite movies are war movies.  Unrealistic and all.  lol

Edited by NUance
  • Plus1 2
1 hour ago, NUance said:

The thing about violent movies and TV is that they tend to be unrealistic.  Combatants do incredible things with guns and swords that are humanly impossible.  Have you ever tried to shoot a beer can from 20 feet with a pistol?  It's a lot harder than it looks.  But in the movies people can shoot a guy in the forehead from 50 feet while he's moving.  

And the violence itself is unrealistic.  Soldiers get shot once in the movies and they die.  In real life I don't think people generally die right away unless it's a shot to the head, or heart, or other vital organ.  War movies wouldn't be as popular if they showed soldiers writhing around on the ground with their legs blown apart below the knees.  It would be more realistic if there was more crying and screaming and people s#!tting themselves as they take shots to the body.

War movies probably wouldn't be as popular if they were more like real life and less like video games.  :shrug:  

==========================================  

That said, some of my favorite movies are war movies.  Unrealistic and all.  lol

Excellent point.  To that end, I thought the movie "Unforgiven" did an admirable job of addressing how the glorification of violence can give children an unrealistic view of war, crime, law enforcement, etc.

i would add that I don't think that  glorification of violence is a new phenomenon, by any means.  I'm sure that the first time a young soldier or warrior of any era experienced real killing, it was a shocking thing that burst their bubble based on what they thought based on glorious war stories.

Edited by Kiyoat Husker
13 hours ago, knapplc said:

I think the correlation to the #MeToo movement has to do with the pressure young female actors are put under to do nude scenes, where (comparatively) few young male actors are.  Maybe Hollywood is developing a conscience about that pressure and they're not forcing women into those situations right now. 

Hollywood, as an industry, has always been reactionary to things like this. As the #MeToo movement wanes Hollywood will get back to exploiting T&A for ticket sales, never fear.

I have thought that it’s going to be a while before another movie comes out with a lot of graphic sex. 

Also....I’m pleasantly surprised everyone seems to agree with me on war movies.