Wages up by most in eight years

4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Which part of this chart is confusing to you.

LpjWhjm.jpg

I only see 3 charts?

unemployment rate

monthly job gains

labor participation rate. 

I dont see the chart that shows what the wage gains are so I only have the part of the article that I quoted that says wage gains are the greatest in 8 years. You know, the part that I found depressing that the somewhat meager gains are the best in years. Do you see a 4th chart? I’m on an iPhone. Sometimes they don’t display everything! Heck I even went to the Link you provided. My phone must have cached my link as it didn’t show your link that refutes mine!

Here's the thing that is driving me crazy about Trump and the Republican's talking points since the SOTU.

Trump claims that he is going to bring America together and work with people from both parties to make America better.

It is CLEAR that many very good things started happening under Obama.  Unemployment dropped significantly, stock market grew significantly, black unemployment dropped significantly....But, nobody is willing to give any credit to the past administration for the last 8 years.

Then, the Republicans complain that when Trumps sweeps in and takes all the credit for the drop in black unemployment Democrats don't applaud that?  Seriously????

If Trump is serious about bringing the country together, he really sucks at it.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, 45timesbetterthanemptysuit said:

I only see 3 charts?

unemployment rate

monthly job gains

labor participation rate. 

I dont see the chart that shows what the wage gains are so I only have the part of the article that I quoted that says wage gains are the greatest in 8 years. You know, the part that I found depressing that the somewhat meager gains are the best in years. Do you see a 4th chart? I’m on an iPhone. Sometimes they don’t display everything! Heck I even went to the Link you provided. My phone must have cached my link as it didn’t show your link that refutes mine!

You are right. I made a mistake.

If I am reading this article correctly, It points to 4 major causes for the uptick in wages:

1. The unemployment rate has been falling for nine years, and has now reached a critical point where workers are increasingly hard for employers to find.  This is forcing their hand in raising wages.

2. Raises stemming from recent tax cuts.

3. Raises stemming from recent increases in minimum wage by 18 states.

4. Janet Yellen's low-rate policies stimulated growth and hiring.

Only one of those four things can be claimed by Trump or Republicans.  Minimum wage increases are opposed by Republicans across the board.  Yellen is now being replaced by Trump, despite both her critics and supporters acknowledging her achievements.  This is likely strictly for political reasons.

If most economists think the tax cuts have had a positive affect, I'll believe them.  I won't blindly follow the party line.  OTOH, it would be nice for a Trump supporter to acknowledge Obama's role in lowering the unemployment rate, and Democrats' roles in increasing the minimum wage.

• Plus1 1
59 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Here's the thing that is driving me crazy about Trump and the Republican's talking points since the SOTU.

Trump claims that he is going to bring America together and work with people from both parties to make America better.

It is CLEAR that many very good things started happening under Obama.  Unemployment dropped significantly, stock market grew significantly, black unemployment dropped significantly....But, nobody is willing to give any credit to the past administration for the last 8 years.

Then, the Republicans complain that when Trumps sweeps in and takes all the credit for the drop in black unemployment Democrats don't applaud that?  Seriously????

If Trump is serious about bringing the country together, he really sucks at it.

I'm pretty sure Obama gave credit to Bush when it was due. Or I could be dreaming...

1 hour ago, 45timesbetterthanemptysuit said:

If I do one thread for the good things, and the rest of the forum does one thread for the bad things, we would only have two threads here!

The two "excellent news" threads could easily be merged into a thread on the topic of economic growth under trump or something of that nature. It would foster more discussion imo

Not that your threads haven't fostered any discussion, just my thought

Edited by Nebfanatic
  • Plus1 1

This bragging reminds me of the bragging done about No Child Left Behind. Reading test results are at their highest ever! Math test results are at their highest ever! IT'S WORKING!

No. The rate of increase has stayed pretty much the same. Way to not understand the statistics that matter.

• Plus1 2
13 hours ago, 45timesbetterthanemptysuit said:

Will do! It just seemed that the forum could use more positive thoughts. So many seem to look very hard for the negative. 

You ain't got to look that hard for the negative nowadays.

I remember the good old days, when we had an upstanding young chap named Obama at the helm...

• Plus1 1

Besides, celebrating one month's worth of wage gains, while no doubt a good thing, is essentially a fool's errand. I'm no statistics wiz... Moiraine could probably explain it far better than I... but getting worked up, either way, about a single data point isn't a great idea. Show me sustained wage growth, over a period of years, and I'll start to buy the GOP talking points about this tax bill.

• Plus1 3