Athlon weighs in on Husker QB battle

Weird, after reading it, it felt like something I would've wrote. But anyways I liked the little article and agreed with it. At the end of the day I want what's best for the team/program and if it is or isn't Martinez I'll be happy with whoever the staff chooses to start. Like Frost said, I think things will work themselves out since they're not going to evaluate based on the spring game, or so they tell us.

On April 26, 2018 at 11:00 AM, Saunders said:

The writer is Brandon Cavanaugh, aka "eight laces".

He's basically a free-lance fan writer who does Bleacher Report type of stuff for them.

Here's what I would add to answer the question, and it didn't happen during the spring game, but rather afterwards. Martinez in his postgame was asked what he would have done better. He immediately and without hesitation answered that he'd overthrown a corner route [Allen] on a 3rd and 3. That kind of instant recall is common amongst really good QBs (and coaches). 

Put that answer in context, though. He had a great individual day. Red team scored 49 points, was 9/13 on third downs, pretty darn good numbers...yet that one play bothered him enough that he remembered it without taking a single second to think of the response. Like it was still gnawing at him. That's not normal for a kid his age in a scrimmage. That kind of attention to detail and competitive spirit is what separates the greats from those that are merely talented.

• Plus1 1

Mostly agree with the writer's assessment here. Assuming both Gebbia and Martinez have an equal understanding and familiarity with the playbook, it's going to come down to which players' traits outweighs the other. Is Gebbia's arm talent enough to secure the job versus AM as more of the complete Frost package?

What I don't want to see is a repeat of 2010. As exciting and powerful as that offense was at times, the offense was anemic without the big play (and an injured TM). I think AM's potential in the passing game is already much higher than TM's, but, it's something I've thought about nonetheless.