**2018 Husker Previews: The Athletic - Nebraska football welcomes home Scott Frost"

15 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

But you can find reasons to be skeptical of any hire, especially in hindsight. There were a lot of reasons to think Osborne might not be a good HC, and if he'd been fired in the mid 70's then everyone who had been skeptical could say, "See? I told you this wouldn't work out."

Except a lot of it wasn't hindsight in this case.

• Plus1 2

19 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Except a lot of it wasn't hindsight in this case.

It's hindsight because you're looking back at the skepticism through the lens of what actually happened. As a thought exercise, would we even be having this conversation if Riley had succeeded? And why don't we have this conversation about Devanney or Osborne but we do for Solich, Callahan, Pelini, and Riley?

We already know what happened so it's easy to say, "We knew there were reasons to be skeptical" or "We knew there were reasons it would work out".

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, RedDenver said:

It's hindsight because you're looking back at the skepticism through the lens of what actually happened. As a thought exercise, would we even be having this conversation if Riley had succeeded? And why don't we have this conversation about Devanney or Osborne but we do for Solich, Callahan, Pelini, and Riley?

We already know what happened so it's easy to say, "We knew there were reasons to be skeptical" or "We knew there were reasons it would work out".

Would we be talking about how he didn't succeed if he had succeeded?  You're welcome to that thought experiment yourself.  I think you're talking yourself in circles.

What I said was there were plenty of warning signs that he wouldn't succeed.  Many were talked about at the time.  A lot of people tried to dismiss that as people just "wanting him to fail" - which you kind of alluded to above.  My point is many people were trying to convince themselves that the problems weren't problems.  Thus, if they would have taken off their "scarlet-colored glasses" more people would have admitted that there were major problems and it wasn't going to work out long before they did.

You're welcome to all the hypotheticals you want.  I'm just talking about what happened and that a lot of it was talked about while it was going on, not just now looking back at it.

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Would we be talking about how he didn't succeed if he had succeeded?  You're welcome to that thought experiment yourself.  I think you're talking yourself in circles.

What I said was there were plenty of warning signs that he wouldn't succeed.  Many were talked about at the time.  A lot of people tried to dismiss that as people just "wanting him to fail" - which you kind of alluded to above.  My point is many people were trying to convince themselves that the problems weren't problems.  Thus, if they would have taken off their "scarlet-colored glasses" more people would have admitted that there were major problems and it wasn't going to work out long before they did.

You're welcome to all the hypotheticals you want.  I'm just talking about what happened and that a lot of it was talked about while it was going on, not just now looking back at it.

The bolded part makes my point, but I'm done derailing this thread.

• Plus1 1

Nearly all want NU to succeed to the Nth degree.   Times change and coaches, programs, etc all have to evolve at some level to keep up with the times.   But the key, in my view, is to find the right mix of a great leader as Head Coach and a staff that works their butts off as good team members to excell if every aspect of building a great winning team.  Coaches who are looking to become head coaches are probably NOT the right types to become great assistant coaches.   We need a staff of coaches who want to work for Scott Frost and be a Nebraska for the long term.  Continuity and dedication.  Consistancy and common purpose.  

Frank was a devoted assistant to Tom for many years and I am sure he truly loved Nebraska football, the fans, etc.  He wanted to become a head coach "some day' and he eventually did just that.   It turns out he is a pretty good HC evidenced by his reasonable success at Ohio.  But NU is not Ohio.  Frank is at the right place for him.  I believe Bo is at the right place at Youngstown.   Callahan is a fine coach as well and is at the right place for him as well.  Riley is at the right place for him as well at Oregon State.   

I think most coaches on some level want or even dream of being a great HC winning multiple titles, etc.  But as the saying goes:  A man's got to know his limitations.   Some are born to be leaders while others are not.   Each of the coaches NU has had over the past 50 years or so have been 'great' men in some ways and fell short in others but only Devaney and Osborne have proven to be the great leaders capable and driven to be champions.   Frost may be the next Devaney or maybe not.  But certainly I think he has the potential to have the 'right stuff' - now it is up to the fans and his employer to give him the opportunity to prove himself.   

Frost has learned from the best and has had the 'seasoning' and he demonstrated at UCF that he can lead a bunch of players to be winners at a high level.   He comes from a coaching and athletic family.  He's been there and done that.   There is reason to be optimistic just as there was some reason to be optimistic about Callahan, Pellini, Riley but Frost 'feels' different to me and maybe, just maybe, Frost is the one that can lead Nebraska back to the future.  

On 5/31/2018 at 9:14 AM, Saunders said:

nebraska-1024x562.png

That's depressing...

That is depressing.  But.....recruiting WAS on the uprise!  A certain cookie hungry poster in here kept saying it wasn't, well oatmeal raisin for you buster!  Look at that graph shooting up!

• Plus1 1