Tempo and Speed (or lack thereof so far)

Decoy73

I don't understand?? We were pushing the tempo at times against Troy especially in the second half. There were multiple plays Troy was not set on defense and we were snapping the ball. Thats tempo folks, and we were seeing it against Troy. Can we eventually go faster? I'm sure, but we were moving pretty quick at times Saturday.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I don't understand?? We were pushing the tempo at times against Troy especially in the second half. There were multiple plays Troy was not set on defense and we were snapping the ball. Thats tempo folks, and we were seeing it against Troy. Can we eventually go faster? I'm sure, but we were moving pretty quick at times Saturday.

There has been some tempo, for sure. But I don’t recall it being effective against Troy.  Anybody can run tempo, but if it’s only some of the time and you end up with a 1-2 yard running play, then it isn’t doing what it is designed to do. The point of this thread is we need to realize that until we’re able to run tempo the way Frost wants to and with the right personnel to do so, we won’t see anything close to what his offense can do. Brighter days are ahead. 

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

It's difficult to have sustained tempo when the QB is too slow to run said tempo and the OL doesn't give the slow QB time to run said tempo.

I'm a little confused on your comment.

How fast the QB can run has nothing to do with running an up tempo offense.  You can run an up tempo offense with a statue pocket passer if you want.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm a little confused on your comment.

How fast the QB can run has nothing to do with running an up tempo offense.  You can run an up tempo offense with a statue pocket passer if you want.

I didn't say he was slow a slow runner.  I said he was too slow to run tempo.  Troy, or D1 football, or both were too fast for him.

Just now, StPaulHusker said:

I didn't say he was slow a slow runner.  I said he was too slow to run tempo.  Troy, or D1 football, or both were too fast for him.

So, you're talking about slow in.....getting the offense set, reading the defense and getting the play off?  If so, I agree with you, but, I would say that's an entire offense issue.....not necessarily just the QB (or O line) issue.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, you're talking about slow in.....getting the offense set, reading the defense and getting the play off?  If so, I agree with you, but, I would say that's an entire offense issue.....not necessarily just the QB (or O line) issue.

I just don't think he was good at running tempo.  It looked slow and unnatural.  Blame who you want.  But he held the ball too long on throws and the OL wasn't quick enough to get to their blocks.  

AND BEFORE ANYONE JUMPS AT ME WITH PROOF THAT SOMEONE DID IT HERE OR THERE, I'M NOT SAYING HE CAN'T AT SOME POINT DOWN THE ROAD.  I'M SAYING HE DIDN'T THIS GAME.

11 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I just don't think he was good at running tempo.  It looked slow and unnatural.  Blame who you want.  But he held the ball too long on throws and the OL wasn't quick enough to get to their blocks.  

AND BEFORE ANYONE JUMPS AT ME WITH PROOF THAT SOMEONE DID IT HERE OR THERE, I'M NOT SAYING HE CAN'T AT SOME POINT DOWN THE ROAD.  I'M SAYING HE DIDN'T THIS GAME.

OK...that, I can agree with.

What you're describing very well could be a group of players that just aren't comfortable in the system yet. (yes, I saw your last paragraph)  Not "jumping on you".

I really don’t feel that these 2 games are a good way to judge where we are.   We are off a game so we had the first game gitters, multiple true freshmen on the field, and a walk on at qb.  I feel the tempo and swag is there but they are playing 1-3 steps behind.  Those steps aren’t because they are slow, it’s because those young mistakes set us back.  Defense is playing with their backs against the wall and offense is playing with one hand tied behind their back.  

Give it a few weeks before you make these judgments.  I really think you’ll be surprised with big10 play 

• Plus1 1
39 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Lack of practice reps by Bunch could be a factor. Tempo doesn’t give you a lot of time to process and think about the play called.

13 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Look.  Everyone claims that Frost is an offensive genius that knows just the right plays to call and how to adjust.  

The Troy game was a pretty big test of his play calling abilities with Bunch playing to help get him comfortable and to be productive.  

Results....weren't great.  And there was a clear shift in play calling once it became apparent Bunch was hell bent on forcing the ball into double and triple coverage when he dropped back to pass.  

I don't think the game film will be very fun to review 

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, MountainMan said:

The Troy game was a pretty big test of his play calling abilities with Bunch playing to help get him comfortable and to be productive.  

Results....weren't great.  And there was a clear shift in play calling once it became apparent Bunch was hell bent on forcing the ball into double and triple coverage when he dropped back to pass.  

I don't think the game film will be very fun to review 

And I'm sure they all will grow some from it.  Coaches and Bunch alike.  But Michigan is going to hang 50+ on us if Bunch plays this way on Saturday.

• Plus1 1