2018 College Football Playoff Rankings

Mavric

8 team playoff doesn't diminish anything. We have 7 worthy teams this season and if any of them had another loss besides bama and clemson they likely aren't in.

I think the committee got it right here. OSU's loss to Purdue was bad and they didn't look good for a long stretch. It should be fun to see the nations top offense square off against this Alabama D, though I really would have enjoyed UCF vs Oklahoma.

The NCAA really needs to get in line with all their other sports and have a real playoff. Take away a week or two from the season, make everyone play the same amount of conference games and have a real playoff like all the other divisions. I understand the SEC might not be for that because it would remove cupcake Saturday, but I think it would at least make it fair. 

As for the regular season being diminished, it certainly isn't that way in Division II and III. The FCS is kind of different because some of those schools play FBS teams to fill out their non conference schedule to make money. 

• Plus1 1

The B1G could certainly help itself.  Balance out cross-over games (this didn't hurt OSU this year)  Go back to 8 conference games and stop scheduling home and home games with Power-5 teams.  The B1G keeps doing the right thing.  Maybe it's time to do the we want to get a team in the playoff thing.  Again, this didn't hurt OSU this year.  OSU's problem was a really bad loss and inconsistent play.  Husker could have beat them, Maryland should have beat them.  Distractions became too much.  They were better early season sans Michigan with Urban out.  They have the talent to boat race most of the B1G.

1 hour ago, jaws said:

The NCAA really needs to get in line with all their other sports and have a real playoff. Take away a week or two from the season, make everyone play the same amount of conference games and have a real playoff like all the other divisions. I understand the SEC might not be for that because it would remove cupcake Saturday, but I think it would at least make it fair. 

As for the regular season being diminished, it certainly isn't that way in Division II and III. The FCS is kind of different because some of those schools play FBS teams to fill out their non conference schedule to make money. 

I am not for reducing the number of games in the regular season.  There's something like 125 teams in Div 1 football.  We are talking about the top 4-8 teams and how they get chosen into a playoff.  So, you're going to diminish the number of games 117-121 teams worth of players and fans get to experience, just for the top 4-8?  No, I won't support that.

We easily could have more of an official playoff if the NCAA would just force the issue.  All you have to do is have 8 conference's (16 teams)....everyone plays a CCG.  The champions of the CCGs go into the playoffs.  

Absolutely nothing would be diminished from the regular season.

Right now, we have the best system Div 1 has ever had.  It can be improved even more.

16 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I am not for reducing the number of games in the regular season.  There's something like 125 teams in Div 1 football.  We are talking about the top 4-8 teams and how they get chosen into a playoff.  So, you're going to diminish the number of games 117-121 teams worth of players and fans get to experience, just for the top 4-8?  No, I won't support that.

We easily could have more of an official playoff if the NCAA would just force the issue.  All you have to do is have 8 conference's (16 teams)....everyone plays a CCG.  The champions of the CCGs go into the playoffs.  

Absolutely nothing would be diminished from the regular season.

Right now, we have the best system Div 1 has ever had.  It can be improved even more.

You can't just add more games. If you want to protect the integrity of the regular season and you care about the well being of the student athlete, you need look at reducing the amount of games when adding another round to the playoffs. 

24 minutes ago, jaws said:

You can't just add more games. If you want to protect the integrity of the regular season and you care about the well being of the student athlete, you need look at reducing the amount of games when adding another round to the playoffs. 

Then, I'm not for expanding the playoffs.  You would only be adding one game for 8 teams.  These guys very likely played that many in HS and will play that many or more in the NFL.

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Then, I'm not for expanding the playoffs.  You would only be adding one game for 8 teams.  These guys very likely played that many in HS and will play that many or more in the NFL.

Most of these kids play a max of 14 games in a season in High School and all the other college divisions play a max of 15 games. Playing 16 games in FBS is just plain stupid. I would gladly give up a game vs a MAC team or an FCS school to have an expanded playoff. I don't care what the NFL does because that is a business and they and obviously don't care much about the well being of their employees. 

2 hours ago, jaws said:

As for the regular season being diminished, it certainly isn't that way in Division II and III. 

Uh, sure it is. Several teams in the DII playoff have 3-4 losses by the time playoffs start. If you can lose 4 times in the regular season and still make the tournament that determines the national championship, that is a true definition of diminishing the regular season.

20 minutes ago, jaws said:

Most of these kids play a max of 14 games in a season in High School and all the other college divisions play a max of 15 games. Playing 16 games in FBS is just plain stupid. I would gladly give up a game vs a MAC team or an FCS school to have an expanded playoff. I don't care what the NFL does because that is a business and they and obviously don't care much about the well being of their employees. 

You're more than willing to do that because you are a fan of a team that some years would be playing those extra games.  The vast majority of the teams in Div 1 really won't ever have a chance.

Also, with my idea of the conferences and the CCG, you have an 8 team playoff without any extra games than you have now.

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

Uh, sure it is. Several teams in the DII playoff have 3-4 losses by the time playoffs start. If you can lose 4 times in the regular season and still make the tournament that determines the national championship, that is a true definition of diminishing the regular season.

Several teams have three or four losses in the D2 playoffs? You mean 1 team that has 3 losses. You will get that if all conference champions make it into the playoffs as well as a few at large teams. Remember there aren't group of 5 types of conferences in the lower divisions. That is also a 28 team playoff and I don't think FBS needs a 28 team playoff.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

You're more than willing to do that because you are a fan of a team that some years would be playing those extra games.  The vast majority of the teams in Div 1 really won't ever have a chance.

Also, with my idea of the conferences and the CCG, you have an 8 team playoff without any extra games than you have now.

I am sure that UCF and many other schools would gladly remove a game from their schedule to have a chance in a playoff. I think D1 football is the only system that doesn't allow everyone participating a chance to win a championship. 

How do have an extra round of playoffs without playing an extra game?

2 hours ago, jaws said:

Several teams have three or four losses in the D2 playoffs? You mean 1 team that has 3 losses.

Wingate was 8-3 entering the playoff. Florida Tech was 8-3 entering the playoff. Azusa Tech was 8-3 entering the playoff. Fort Hays State was 8-3 entering the playoff. West Alabama was 8-3 entering the playoff. 

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

Wingate was 8-3 entering the playoff. Florida Tech was 8-3 entering the playoff. Azusa Tech was 8-3 entering the playoff. Fort Hays State was 8-3 entering the playoff. West Alabama was 8-3 entering the playoff. 

I was looking at the 2018 D2 bracket. 

https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/print/football/d2/2018

Here is the D3 bracket. This is a 32 team playoff. Again, we don't need that many teams at the FBS level in the playoffs. The top 8 teams are fine. 

https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/print/football/d3/2018

The FCS bracket with records are kind is skewed since many of those play multiple FBS teams in their non conference schedule. 

I am all for giving everyone a chance to play for a national title, not just the select few. I would love to see a program like UCF have an undefeated season and be included in the playoffs. As of right now, their regular season is almost meaningless on a national scale because they will never be included in the playoffs. 

In all the other divisions everyone has a shot. That means that every team can have bigger aspirations than winning their conference. That doesn't sound like a diminished regular season to me.