Greta Van Fleet

First of all, Led Zeppelin and The Smashing Pumpkins are awesome bands. I am not a fan of some of the SP work when they go deep electronica, but that's does not take away my enjoyment of their music as a whole.

Now, Greta Van Fleet. I listened to both of their albums for about 12 hours yesterday while I was writing (doing both of those things right now actually). I am not joking. In fact, when I start listening to a new album, I usually play that alone for a month or so. If I love it cover-to-cover and can listen to it on indefinite repeat, I keep it.

They are a dead ringer for Zeppelin, no doubt. However, the music is good. The songs are not derivative. I feel like they hold their own.

Good find, @Fru :cheers

• Plus1 1

40 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I love these guys. I heard Safari Song a few months ago on the 89.7 here in Omaha, and almost drove into the ditch thinking it was a new LZ song. They're starting to form their own sound a bit more on their full record, which should help dispel the anti-LZ crowd. 

If there is an anti-LZ crowd, those are people you don't want to associate yourself with. :D

• Plus1 2
On 11/4/2018 at 5:28 AM, The Dude said:

It's a simple statement if fact.  Their entire musical vision is "try to be Led Zeppelin", and they fall well short.

I was hoping they'd start to form their own identity with this album.

I'm willing to give them a chance to find their own sound. They're still very young. 

23 hours ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

First of all, Led Zeppelin and The Smashing Pumpkins are awesome bands. I am not a fan of some of the SP work when they go deep electronica, but that's does not take away my enjoyment of their music as a whole.

Now, Greta Van Fleet. I listened to both of their albums for about 12 hours yesterday while I was writing (doing both of those things right now actually). I am not joking. In fact, when I start listening to a new album, I usually play that alone for a month or so. If I love it cover-to-cover and can listen to it on indefinite repeat, I keep it.

They are a dead ringer for Zeppelin, no doubt. However, the music is good. The songs are not derivative. I feel like they hold their own.

Good find, @Fru :cheers

Glad you enjoy them! I do the same thing with a new albums. Absolutely devour them nonstop. 

• 2 months later...

Hadn't heard them before but I like it. Definitely reminds of Led Zeppelin, mostly because the singer sounds much like Robert Plant. Don't know if that's coincidental or by effort. Either way, there are many worse things than sounding like LZ. Thanks for bringing them to my attention.

Yeah that SNL performance was rough. SNL has historically been a tough stage. Lots of bands haven’t sounded very good when performing there. Plus GVF has been touring nonstop, so I’ll chalk it up to them being a little road weary.

This ACL performance is solid. I love the jam starting around the 9:15 mark. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7RrDmjEazcM 

I do wish they’d dial back the wardrobe.

Actually the thing I like most about the band is it proves that LZ had a good sound that people genuinely enjoyed, it's been like 40 years and they have such a similar sound and it's getting over with people in 2019.  That tells me LZ did something right other than just appealing to stoned HS kids.

• Plus1 2
20 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Listened to more GVF last night. The similarities to LZ are unmistakable but I also picked up on some shades of Geddy Lee in his voice and a couple tunes seemed to have a touch of 90's STP sound. Like these guys a lot.

Personally I think he sounds more like Geddy than Robert Plant. Especially in their most recent album. 

I can hear some Janis Joplin in this track as well. 

Yeah, I think you're right. He does sound more like Geddy Lee (and JJ at times) but stylistically he's like Robert Plant. Maybe it's the overall composition influencing me. I hear a lot of 90's style (like STP) in the beat/drums. 

I don't understand why anyone would knock them for sounding like Led Zeppelin. That's a good thing IMO and not common in this day and age. I will say a lot of the lyrics seem a bit strange for new music. All the baby baby's and oh yeahs seem a bit dated.

• Plus1 1