QB Patrick Witt

Witt on Campus

Witt can't wait to enter the QB mix

BY MITCH SHERMAN

WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

LINCOLN - The first such quarterback experiment at Nebraska failed miserably.

Click to Enlarge

With a 2,700-yard rusher in his backfield last fall, Nebraska recruit Patrick Witt passed only 111 times, an average of 8.5 per game. But he did complete 55 percent of those attempts for 964 yards. Witt will be attending his third school in four years this fall at Wylie (Texas).

The QB graduated from high school one semester early. He started college seven months before his freshman classmates, just as Patrick Witt does today. And a year later, he was gone, having never played for the Huskers.

Why then, six years after Curt Dukes couldn't cut it as part of the NU football program, does optimism abound over the arrival of Witt?

Well, for starters, Witt appears more equipped than most to handle the mental rigors of this transition.

"I'm sure I'll struggle to keep up and keep my head above water," said Witt, one of six new Huskers as spring semester classes open today. "But at the same time, I think about it and remember why I made the decision to graduate early. I want to participate in spring drills.

"By the time I would normally be getting there (in August), it's hard to put a value on how much I'll have already experienced. I'll be like a grade ahead."

Other mid-term enrollees include running back Marcus Mendoza of Houston and four junior college transfers - quarterback Zac Lee, safety Larry Asante, cornerback Armando Murrillo and defensive tackle Shukree Barfield.

Witt, a 6-foot-4, 215-pound, strong-armed QB from suburban Atlanta, arrives in Lincoln after playing his senior season in Wylie, Texas. He moved west, in part to find an offensive system that would showcase his arm.

It worked, in fact, even before Witt played a game in Texas. He committed shortly after receiving an NU offer in June.

One day after his high school graduation last month, Witt and his family moved back to Georgia.

He was scheduled Sunday night at NU to visit with academic advisor Dennis Leblanc and then meet his new teammates. Witt and Mendoza, the only other new freshman, will share a dorm room. They've talked regularly on the phone.

"I'm bringing the TV," Witt said. "He's bringing the X-box. We're delegating."

Through winter conditioning and especially when spring practice opens in March, Witt will join an intriguing mix at quarterback. Senior Sam Keller, the heralded transfer from Arizona State, ranks as the favorite to win the starting job vacated by Big 12 offensive player of the year Zac Taylor.

Reserves Joe Ganz and Beau Davis also return, in addition to Lee and Witt.

"I don't know the guys," Witt said, "but I'm sure they're great guys and great players. You might call it a competition, but we're working together to achieve one main goal, and that's to put the best product on the field and make each other better.

"There's a lot for me to learn from. There's a lot of experience there."

There are many reasons, surely, to explain the poor track record nationally of quarterbacks enrolling early.

Near the top of the list, you'll find a problem that plagued Dukes, who was nearly thrust into playing time early in his freshman season. In the end, Dukes lacked the wherewithal and maturity to thrive in his situation. He transferred after one year in Lincoln.

Witt comes from the same pedigree that readied his brother, Jeff, to play quarterback and survive at academic powerhouse Harvard.

Patrick Witt attended four high schools en route to graduating in 31/2 years. He starts school at NU with one full semester of college credit hours.

"I've kind of been counting down the days, and it's finally here," Witt said. "It's been a long time coming. I'll kind of learn on the fly, but I'm sure I'll be told what to expect. You don't really know what to expect until you experience it. That's the best way to learn."

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Witt chooses to become Cornhusker quarterback

By: Katelyn Kerkhove

Issue date: 2/9/07 Section: Husker Football

* Print

* Email

* Article Tools

Page 1 of 2 next >

To Bill Howard, Patrick Witt proved himself the moment he stepped on the field one Friday evening last October.

Witt, Wylie (Texas) High School's senior quarterback, had suffered a severe thigh bruise in the Pirates' contest the Friday before and could barely walk the week leading up to Wylie's game against Plano.

While Howard and his coaching staff had prepared their second-string quarterback throughout the week, at game time, Witt said he wanted to take the field.

"My favorite moment was when he played hurt," Howard said. "He didn't practice Monday and could still barely walk on Tuesday and Wednesday, but he played in pain on Friday when he didn't have to. He took some hits, and he led the offense and played within himself."

Under Witt's leadership, Wylie pulled of a 20-10 upset of Plano that night.

Now, months later, Witt - ranked No. 18 by Rivals.com for pro-style quarterbacks - has a chance to prove himself all over again as he officially became a Cornhusker on Wednesday.

Turning down offers from Baylor, Indiana, Purdue, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Tulane and Wisconsin, the 6-foot-4, 215-pounder will enter Nebraska's quarterback battle during spring practices. He enrolled at Nebraska in January.

"I'm surprised how easy a transition it has been," Witt said. "I felt I was prepared for the responsibility, and I'm enjoying the freedom that comes with being on my own. Who knows where I'd be if I hadn't graduated early. I was bored in high school already."

But adapting should come fairly naturally to Witt at this point.

With both his parents being pilots - his dad for Delta and his mom for American Airlines - they gave Witt the option to move to Texas since his mom was based out of Dallas.

With Texas schools running mostly spread offenses and with Texas's recruiting ties, Witt thought it would be a better place to prove himself than his hometown of Lilburn, Ga.

In his first and only season in Wylie's pro-style offense, Witt completed 57 percent of his passes for 1,846 yards and 17 touchdowns while also rushing for 330 yards and four touchdowns last year.

"I thought he developed much faster than most young men his age would in those circumstances," Howard said. "It really didn't take but a week for him to become a starter, and after spring ball, his teammates had taken a real liking to him, and they elected him captain."

Throughout the recruiting process, Howard said he emphasized the importance of finding a comfortable fit: not only with the football program, but with the university as well.

Witt said he's found that comfort at Nebraska.

"My brother set the bar high - he's at Harvard now," Witt said. "When I decided I wanted to play big-time football, I had to ask myself what would lure me away from Ivy League schools, and I felt Nebraska had the best combination of academics and athletics. Besides, there are only a handful of schools you can go to where a national championship is a legitimate goal."

On the field, Witt said NU Coach Bill Callahan's offensive philosophy is in line with his abilities, providing opportunities to use his strong arm and ability to call plays.

Now he's just awaiting the chance to establish himself as a Husker.

"I just want to prove that I'm an effective quarterback, a good manager of a game," Witt said. "All the quarterbacks here have the physical skills. I have to prove that I can absorb the offense quickly, and I can command the huddle."

I watched his videos on youtube. Between those and the article above, I think this guy is gonna turn out to be pretty good. I like his attitude...he's confident, but not like Harrison Beck when he first showed up. I thought he made some pretty good throws on the videos I watched, and he is pretty good on his feet. I can't wait to see him develop and be our first true project--freshman to senior--hopefully.

• 3 weeks later...