QB Patrick Witt

Ok, Witt IS the best we can get (out of high school) right now......anyone wonder why that is or is everyone satisfied with Witt?

I think he's a good candidate to sit a year or two and learn. I guess the most you can say of any recruit is that he has potential.

I'll have to reserve my judgement of Witt until he signs on the dotted line, and practices. Isn't he a candidate to graduate in Dec. It would be great to get spring ball in. I'd like to see him play in the spring game. But then again, Dailey looked good in his first spring game under BC and we all know how that turned out. While he may not be a top 5 qb, he may be a sleeper who will develop w/ some time. But we don't have much time, Keller in 07, who in 08???? Ganz, Hildebrand, Davis? My verdict is still out on him. Im not going to put him on a pedestal before he signs or plays a down. Lets hope he turns out.

Ok, Witt IS the best we can get (out of high school) right now......anyone wonder why that is or is everyone satisfied with Witt?

I think he's a good candidate to sit a year or two and learn. I guess the most you can say of any recruit is that he has potential.

Witt is a good prospect right now. The fact that he will be able to sit for 2+ seasons is even better. He is a super smart kid, so I'd have to say that is a plus for absorbing this offense and playing in '09.

you never really know the talent of any player until they reach the college field. so become superstars, some never see the field.

it is a wait and see with any kid coming out of high school and even JUCO.

4-5* kids (BECK) are told that they should be playing right now and are the best thing since sliced bread. some can handle starting as true freshmen (Tebow, Mustain) and some really shouldnt be starting (Freeman)

you never really know the talent of any player until they reach the college field. so become superstars, some never see the field.

it is a wait and see with any kid coming out of high school and even JUCO.

4-5* kids (BECK) are told that they should be playing right now and are the best thing since sliced bread. some can handle starting as true freshmen (Tebow, Mustain) and some really shouldnt be starting (Freeman)

I couldnt agree with you more.

from the OWH Link

BY MITCH SHERMAN

WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

LINCOLN - The pledge from a high school quarterback to show up a semester early at college assures nothing.

In fact, Nebraska's luck with such cases is downright rotten.

Option QB Curt Dukes skipped his prom and high school graduation five years ago to enroll at NU and participate in spring practice. Dukes never played a down in Lincoln.

Last year, Josh Freeman planned to enroll early at Nebraska. He never made it to campus.

There are no guarantees with the latest such project, quarterback Patrick Witt. But he appears better suited than most for the abrupt transition. He's already done something like this once, having transferred last winter from suburban Atlanta to Dallas in part to raise his profile among college recruiters.

What's more, his brother is a college quarterback. Jeff Witt landed the starting quarterback job at Harvard as a sophomore this fall before he was lost for the season with a separated shoulder. Jeff Witt is sitting out of school in the spring and plans to visit Lincoln to help Patrick get adjusted.

Like his brother, Patrick Witt is sharp. Not your average high school honors-student sharp, either. Talk to him, and he sounds smarter than most college graduate students.

This ensures nothing about his ability to play football in the Big 12. It is, however, a good start.

"I realize that this is the place I'm going to be," Witt said about his first visit to watch the Huskers play at Memorial Stadium. "Not only that, I'm going to be there very soon. I don't think it's really set in yet that I'm going to be on my own in just a couple months.

"It's weird to think about, but at the same time really exciting. I'm definitely ready."

Witt, who will enroll at Nebraska in January with an abundance of college credits, said he's struggling some this fall with senioritis.

"I'm just ready to move on to the next level," he said.

First, he's got two more games to play - and maybe an appearance in the ultra-competitive Texas 5A playoffs. Wylie, in its first season of 5A football, is 3-5. Witt said he's thrown for 1,500 yards and 14 touchdowns, completing 59.3 percent of his throws.

"The improvement has been tenfold as far as reading defenses," said Witt, who operated a rush-oriented offense last year in Georgia. "The more experience you get throwing the football, the more comfortable you're going to be in taking chances, anticipating things a little better. My game has improved so much from being out there."

Witt was disappointed to learn of the 11 a.m. kickoff time Saturday for Nebraska-Missouri. He plays Friday night in Dallas and doesn't expect to arrive in Omaha until 10:30 a.m. He hopes to return Nov. 24 for the Colorado game to experience the pregame festivities.

"I wish I didn't have to miss the Tunnel Walk," he said. "But I'm still really looking forward to the game experience. I've heard all about it. The last time I was there (in early August), there wasn't a whole lot going on. I'm interested to see student life, life on campus, what goes on.

"And I really feel like that's my team. I kind of bleed with them, even though I'm not there yet.