2020 Congressional Elections

We'll start this thread (seems like just yesterday we were doing 2018) with this post.

Alabama GOP voters my be doubling down on dumb.  Roy Moore once again leads the GOP in early primary polling of likely candidates.

So I wonder what will come out of the closet this time around.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elections/poll-roy-moore-leads-republican-field-challenge-doug-jones-n995021

WASHINGTON — Former Alabama Supreme Court Chief Justice Roy Moore is leading the Republican field vying for the party’s 2020 nomination to challenge Sen. Doug Jones, the Democrat who beat Moore in 2017, according to a survey released Tuesday.

Moore leads among could-be GOP candidates with 27 percent in the poll from Mason-Dixon Polling & Strategy, just a year and a half after losing what was widely viewed as a safe seat for Alabama Republicans. He's trailed by three Alabama congressmen: Mo Brooks at 18 percent, Bradley Byrne at 13, and Gary Palmer at 11. The poll also suggests Moore holds a net approval rating in the state — 34 percent of voters view him favorably compared to 29 percent who view him unfavorably.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I'm interested in this one.

Amy McGrath, a retired US Marine Corps Lieutenant Colonel raised in Kentucky, is running for the US Senate to fix Washington and give Kentuckians back their voice.  

Amy was born the youngest of three children to Donald and Marianne McGrath. Her father was a high school English teacher and her mother was one of the first women to graduate from the University of Kentucky medical school.

When Amy was 13 years old, she dreamed of becoming a fighter pilot, but women were not yet allowed to serve in combat roles in our military. So she wrote to her elected officials to ask them to change the law. She never heard back from her senator, Mitch McConnell.

Amy graduated from the US Naval Academy and overcame the odds to become the first woman in the Marine Corps to fly a combat mission in an F/A-18 fighter jet. She served 20 years in the Marines where she flew 89 combat missions in Iraq and Afghanistan, targeting al-Qaida and the Taliban, before retiring and moving back home to Kentucky to raise her family.

Amy lives in Georgetown, Kentucky, with her husband Erik, a retired Navy pilot and registered Republican, and her three children, Teddy (7), George (5), and Eleanor (3).

Amy became a Marine combat pilot to fight and defend her country and now she is taking the fight to Washington to solve the problems Kentuckians face in their every-day lives. Amy was a registered independent for 12 years, so she always prioritizes practical solutions over partisan interests. She’s not running for Senate to get rich and join the Washington swamp. Amy is ready to take on career politicians like Mitch McConnell and bring accountability and leadership back to Kentucky.

I find it interesting that nowhere (that I can see) on her website does it say what party she is running under.

Edit:  I found elsewhere on the internet that she is running as a Dem.  

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'll donate to her if the race is close next summer.

In the video where it says "He has, bit by bit, year by year" and there's a montage of him getting older, I was hoping she was gonna say something about his jowls getting lower and looser.

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I'll donate to her if the race is close next summer.

In the video where it says "He has, bit by bit, year by year" and there's a montage of him getting older, I was hoping she was gonna say something about his jowls getting lower and looser.

Nice campaign ad.  I'd love to see the Turtle put out to sea.

• Plus1 1
  • 1 month later...

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wt GOP members 'retiring' (maybe retreating is more appropriate word) in droves in the House, we could be looking at a Dem sweep in the the 2020 elections.  The GOP senate hold is by a hair and getting thinner by the days as polls indicate. 

https://www.axios.com/republican-party-2020-election-wipeout-house-senate-trump-3ca4a371-cdfb-4213-9ff0-2cf058aa7537.html

A growing number of Republicans are privately warning of increasing fears of a total wipeout in 2020: House, Senate, and White House.

Why it matters: All of this is unfolding while the economy still looks strong, and before public impeachment proceedings have officially begun.

• House Republicans in swing districts are retiring at a very fast pace, especially in the suburbs of Texas and elsewhere. (Republicans talk grimly of the "Texodus.") Rep. Greg Walden — the top Republican on the House Energy and Commerce Committee, and the only Republican in Oregon's congressional delegation — yesterday shocked the party by becoming the 19th GOP House member to not seek re-election.
  • The Republican Senate majority, once considered relatively safe, suddenly looks in serious jeopardy. Democrats are raising more money, and polling better, than Republican incumbents in battleground after battleground.
  • President Trump trails every major Democratic candidate nationally and in swing states — and his favorable ratings remain well under 50%.

The biggest recent change is Republicans' increasingly precarious hold on the Senate.

• National Journal's Josh Kraushaar writes in his "Against the Grain" column that "the pathway for a narrow Democratic takeover of the upper chamber is looking clearer than ever": "If Trump doesn’t win a second term, Democrats only need to net three seats to win back the majority."

•  
  • Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1