8-4

1 hour ago, TheSker said:

I doubt many predicted Chinander's improvement on the defensive side either.

I forget, what did the Vegas oddsmakers set our win total at for this season.?

I bet a lot of people predicted improvement on the defensive side because there was nowhere to go but up.  That, along with an improving offense is why they put a 4-8 team in this year's Top 20. 

https://theathletic.com/1135662/2019/08/14/nebraska-huskers-football-defense-takeaways-erik-chinander/

We won't know our win total for the season for another six games, but Nebraska has failed to cover the line in every game except Northern Illinois.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/teams/team-page.cfm/team/nebraska

6 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I bet a lot of people predicted improvement on the defensive side because there was nowhere to go but up.  That, along with an improving offense is why they put a 4-8 team in this year's Top 20. 

https://theathletic.com/1135662/2019/08/14/nebraska-huskers-football-defense-takeaways-erik-chinander/

We won't know our win total for the season for another six games, but Nebraska has failed to cover the line in every game except Northern Illinois.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-football/teams/team-page.cfm/team/nebraska

My question is what was the Vegas win total for this season?

10 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Um....no.

Someone else already posted it, but this is the season of Riley's recruiting prowress on display with upperclassmen.

Yeah, we don't have much of an OL pipeline, but in fairness we haven't for years. Hence the perception that younger Frost recruits would be better than under-performing Pelini and Riley leftovers.

Meanwhile, if you want to give Chinander credit for defensive improvement,  he's leaning on at least a few Riley upperclassman -- Ben Stille, Lamar Jackson, Dismuke, JoJo Domann, DiCaprio Bootle. J.D. Spielman and Jack Stoll are Riley recruits. And last year when Greg Bell was Frost's hand-picked starting running back, it was fourth teamer Devine Ozigbo who turned the running game around. Riley, not Pelini, recruited Ozigbo.

Carry on.....

• Fire 1
27 minutes ago, TheSker said:

My question is what was the Vegas win total for this season?

Oddsmakers have Nebraska at 8.5, tied with Wisconsin and Penn State, ahead of Iowa, Michigan State and Minnesota. 

247 Sports also has Nebraska at 8.5, but a half game ahead of Wisconsin.  Here's how they set the expectations:

Nebraska is college football’s most anticipated breakout team of the 2019 season. Are those expectations too high for a team that won four games last season? Vegas predicts at least twice that in Scott Frost’s second season. Nebraska has an elite quarterback in Adrian Martinez and the word out of Lincoln is the defense looks significantly improved from last season. Instead of a simple look at the final 4-8 record for Nebraska, take a look at the way the Huskers finished. Nebraska went 4-2 in the second half of the season with just a five-point loss at Big Ten champions Ohio State and a three-point loss at Iowa.

And you know what? We may still get there. But nobody I know is talking about this as confidently as they were six weeks ago. Didn't think it was controversial or pessimistic at the time.

20 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Yeah, we don't have much of an OL pipeline, but in fairness we haven't for years. Hence the perception that younger Frost recruits would be better than under-performing Pelini and Riley leftovers.

Meanwhile, if you want to give Chinander credit for defensive improvement,  he's leaning on at least a few Riley upperclassman -- Ben Stille, Lamar Jackson, Dismuke, JoJo Domann, DiCaprio Bootle. J.D. Spielman and Jack Stoll are Riley recruits. And last year when Greg Bell was Frost's hand-picked starting running back, it was fourth teamer Devine Ozigbo who turned the running game around. Riley, not Pelini, recruited Ozigbo.

Carry on.....

I agree.....it's been way too long since the pipeline was in place.  Frost's OL recruits may have outperformed some of the current starters on the OL......but redshirting them to give them a chance to mature and engage with the strength and conditioning program will be worth it.

The most painful part, perhaps, is Jurgens having to learn on the fly.

Bell ended up being a recruiting miss, but we know the timing of how Frost had to put together his first class.

I also agree that the talent left behind on the offensive side versus the defensive side is very different.  Much of the credit I'd give the defensive staff is they've done a good job of teaching.

We still need a much better pass rush.

But from a helicopter view, do I see progress this season?  Yes.

• Fire 1

5 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Now you're just not paying attention. 

I didn't start this line of thinking. Another poster suggested that we were an overtime game against Colorado away from being 5-1. I equated that with being a single play away from being 3-3, which is at least as valid as the premise I was handed. Then I suggested we both walk away from things that didn't happen. 

There's gotta be a healthy middle ground between kool-aid guzzling and abandoning hope. Pretty sure all the concerns I've brought up are shared in thousands of other posts, and most of them are realistic (things that have happened) and not pessimistic (I believe things will get better).  I talk to fellow Husker fans across the country every week, and roughly 100% of them have been disappointed by the play this season, but certainly not writing the season off. I'd say the HuskerBoard sentiment is even rougher. I don't know any fanboard where unfettered optimism is the rule. Some healthy skepticism does't mean you love Nebraska any less.   

I'm playing plenty of attention.  What you're doing is repeatedly emphasizing a few things that are/have gone slightly worse and saying they carry more weight that significantly more things that have gotten better to a larger degree than the other things have gotten worse.  Which, of course, you are free to do.  It's just really odd to keep insisting the fewer, infrequent things should apparently be more valued than the great, more frequent things.

Again, everything you are talking about is perception.  Which people are allowed to have.  But that doesn't make it true.  As has been outlined several times in this thread.  

Perhaps you are the one who isn't paying attention.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

So......Riley sucked at recruiting. And now we're missing the guys he recruited.

I think this is the point The Dude was making and you're willfully missing.

We could be/are missing the guys he failed to recruit/develop to replace them.

But there you go again focusing on the negative side of it.

26 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

"We haven't for years" ... except for (in part) the guys we were just talking about who were, in fact, upperclassmen.  

If you try to claim we haven't for years, you probably shouldn't look at the list of linemen we have/had in the NFL over the last decade.  It won't help your argument.

Of course, the PERCEPTION is we haven't had them for years.  But there we go with perceptions again.

4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

"We haven't for years" ... except for (in part) the guys we were just talking about who were, in fact, upperclassmen.  

If you try to claim we haven't for years, you probably shouldn't look at the list of linemen we have/had in the NFL over the last decade.  It won't help your argument.

Of course, the PERCEPTION is we haven't had them for years.  But there we go with perceptions again.

Sweet merciful Jesus. 

Of course it's a perception.  It's a perception that this season has been a disappointment so far, coming off of the expectations of last season. It's a perception shared by many, many, loyal Husker fans on this very board, along with the college football pollsters, analysts, and handicappers who have scaled back expectations based on recent performance. Apparently savvier Husker fans saw this coming , but I don't recall meeting a single one. 

If I said we couldn't pull off a satisfying season, I would be a pessimist. I didn't and I'm not. I said we haven't really proven ourselves yet, and it's hard to call a single game left on this schedule a lock. That's hardly a controversial take. 

Pretty sure we're all operating with mix of perceptions and self-serving stats. I admitted from the very beginning that I felt better about the team that ended last year at 4-8 than I do this year's team at 4-2. I know a few others who feel the same way. It's a gut feeling and I'd be thrilled if the team proved me wrong.

Also, I missed TheSker, and his Colorado post was too good to pass up. 

Amazing how our expectations have dropped so far...we fired Pellini when he was consistently producing 9-4 seasons and now all we can hope for is an 8-4 record at best. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll take it considering the dumpster fire that Riley left behind but I am still disappointed that we have not been able to turn the corner after almost two decades of trying to rebuild. I am really hoping that we find a way to beat Minnesota this week but I am not counting on it. I feel like this team will find a way to beat itself this weekend.

5 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

Amazing how our expectations have dropped so far...we fired Pellini when he was consistently producing 9-4 seasons and now all we can hope for is an 8-4 record at best. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll take it considering the dumpster fire that Riley left behind but I am still disappointed that we have not been able to turn the corner after almost two decades of trying to rebuild. I am really hoping that we find a way to beat Minnesota this week but I am not counting on it. I feel like this team will find a way to beat itself this weekend.

No....everyone dreams and expects the program to be working towards winning championships.