8-4

13 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

And as you well know, we are also a blown pass interference call away from being 3-3 and virtually out of the division race in early October.

Let's both stick to where we're at. 

It might take you a while to estimate how potential blown calls have effected game outcomes.

But again, I fully acknowledge the lens by which you admittedly view where this year's team is.

• Fire 1
16 minutes ago, Undone said:

A classic Guy Chamberlin/TheSker exchange. Classic.

The really sobering reference points will occur in November when we play Wisconsin & Iowa.

I actually think our other games will give us a better glimpse of where we are now. Sure, those are the teams we need to be competing with but I don't believe the Wiscy game is going to show us any more than how much work we have left to do. 

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

And as you well know, we are also a blown pass interference call away from being 3-3 and virtually out of the division race in early October.

Let's both stick to where we're at. 

That's overstated.  They would have kept the ball but they were still "only" at midfield with one minute to play.  They still would have needed 20+ yards and make a FG to beat us.  Or go to overtime.

It would have given them a better chance.  But them getting that call wouldn't have assured them the victory.

• Plus1 4

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

That's overstated.  They would have kept the ball but they were still "only" at midfield with one minute to play.  They still would have needed 20+ yards and make a FG to beat us.  Or go to overtime.

It would have given them a better chance.  But them getting that call wouldn't have assured them the victory.

Well I was offered the Colorado game as the "near win" example, a game where we gave up a 17 point lead, failed several opportunities to put Colorado away, and ran 3 plays in overtime that netted negative yards. In that spirit, Nebraska probably got a little lucky against Northwestern. I don't think we got lucky against Illinois, but most fans didn't think that game needed to be a nail-biter that could have gone either way.

I also remember certain posters who loathed the "if it wasn't for one play" argument when other coaches lost close games and posted unsatisfying wins. 

Here's my last word. For now. 

This has been a disappointing season. So far. Improvements on defense hampered by regressions on offense. Special teams still a mess. A seeming backslide in turnovers and penalties. Our Heisman contender losing his edge and confidence. Other coaches making the better halftime adjustments. A deer in the headlights against elite teams. A lack of killer instinct  against even lowly teams like University of South Alabama. 

Then there's the Northwestern game.  If you weren't rooting for either team, it was virtually unwatchable. Nebraska was favored, but it was hard to say why. They just aren't a very good team.

Then our poor maligned third-string placekicker ekes out a 25 yard field goal, the place goes wild, the kid tears down the field in utter jubilation, the team mobs him and I'm back on board. They won the game. They got to celebrate. They have at least six games to get better. And I'll always be a fan. 

• Fire 2
3 hours ago, Mavric said:

So your expectation was that if Minnesota could win by that much, we should as well?

Which, again, is all about expectations as opposed to what is actually happening.

No. Illinois is plain bad. Northwestern is bad offensively. You're not concerned with the MN run game? I am. I can't see our defense slowing them down. And a backup QB to boot in wintry weather? We're not that good of a running team, Minnesota is. This has all the makings for a loss on the road.

2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Well I was offered the Colorado game as the "near win" example, a game where we gave up a 17 point lead, failed several opportunities to put Colorado away, and ran 3 plays in overtime that netted negative yards. In that spirit, Nebraska probably got a little lucky against Northwestern. I don't think we got lucky against Illinois, but most fans didn't think that game needed to be a nail-biter that could have gone either way.

So we had a bunch of ways and chances to win the Colorado game - a game that, in fact, did come down to the last play - and counter that with a single play in a different game that would have extended the game but was a long was from being decisive.

And you think those two things are supposed to be equal.  There seems to be a pattern of viewing things from the glass-less-than-half-empty side of the ledger.

• Plus1 5
8 minutes ago, FTW said:

No. Illinois is plain bad. Northwestern is bad offensively. You're not concerned with the MN run game? I am. I can't see our defense slowing them down. And a backup QB to boot in wintry weather? We're not that good of a running team, Minnesota is. This has all the makings for a loss on the road.

Minnesota has averaged 3.1 (SDSU), 2.8 (Fresno), 3.7 (Georgia Southern), 2.7 (Purdue), and 6.4 (Illinois) yards per carry. Obviously their best game is the most recent so maybe they figured it out, but they have not been a juggernaut running the ball. I also have concerns about our LBs, but it's not like this is Wisconsin's running game.

EDIT: I believe this is including sacks which I noted above they've had a lot of, so they're probably slightly better than these numbers paint them to be running the ball. Still not elite.

Edited by Husker in WI
  • Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Husker in WI said:

Minnesota has averaged 3.1 (SDSU), 2.8 (Fresno), 3.7 (Georgia Southern), 2.7 (Purdue), and 6.4 (Illinois) yards per carry. Obviously their best game is the most recent so maybe they figured it out, but they have not been a juggernaut running the ball. I also have concerns about our LBs, but it's not like this is Wisconsin's running game.

Thanks for those numbers.  I was just thinking that Minny had struggled running the ball until the Illinois game.  I honestly hope it turns to bad weather, so their passing game struggles.  I think our d-line can use quickness against their giant o-linemen, create TFL's, and get stops.

18 minutes ago, FTW said:

We'll find out won't we? Personally, I think Minnesota could gut our back 7 with their running game. We're not superior to them by any means.

I haven't watched them this year, but statistically we're very similar teams. That said, we've played by far the tougher schedule.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Thanks for those numbers.  I was just thinking that Minny had struggled running the ball until the Illinois game.  I honestly hope it turns to bad weather, so their passing game struggles.  I think our d-line can use quickness against their giant o-linemen, create TFL's, and get stops.

I don't know the exact numbers, but I thought we did pretty well on Defense vs Northwestern in the TFL category. We were able to blow up several plays at, and behind, the LOS, forcing punts on NW drives containing favorable down & distance situations. If we can continue that vs Minny, it will increase our odds of getting them off the field, and give our Offense more opportunities.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, ZRod said:

I haven't watched them this year, but statistically we're very similar teams. That said, we've played by far the tougher schedule.

I like NU's defense more than Minny's defense, but Minny's offense has been slightly better than NU this year.  However, like you comment, they have faced a poor schedule, especially opposing defenses.

1 minute ago, Jarhead In Red said:

I don't know the exact numbers, but I thought we did pretty well on Defense vs Northwestern in the TFL category. We were able to blow up several plays at, and behind, the LOS, forcing punts on NW drives containing favorable down & distance situations. If we can continue that vs Minny, it will increase our odds of getting them off the field, and give our Offense more opportunities.

I think NU did a very good job of putting NW behind the chains, especially on first downs.  Benning and Severe were talking about how it sucks to have "negative" plays, especially on 1st and 3rd downs.  If NU can get Minny into 2nd and 3rd and longs, I like NU's chances.  If Minny is facing 3rd and 4's all day, they will be able to do hitches and slants to their WR's all day and keep the ball.