Miles Jones to Enter Transfer Portal

Mavric

4 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Of those 9, we also have 3 suspended currently so that exacerbates that number. I definitely think the rush to fill the class impacted things a lot.

Ya, that's a good point about the suspension of Mo, Hunt and Legrone. 6 leaving sounds much more reasonable in the scheme of things, and the 3 that were suspended were not guys who would never play. It seems Hunt was set to be a contributor, and probably could have helped the Offense attack the entire field. So, suspending those players was a talent/depth drain for sure....

I'm usually quick to not lose sleep over guys leaving and I'm not in this case however it is sure tough to build leadership and culture around a bunch of underclassman but I guess it is why this takes time.  Lets hope we can at least be as good as Minnesota is this year when Frost gets to year three next year.  

14 hours ago, Jarhead In Red said:

Ya, that's a good point about the suspension of Mo, Hunt and Legrone. 6 leaving sounds much more reasonable in the scheme of things, and the 3 that were suspended were not guys who would never play. It seems Hunt was set to be a contributor, and probably could have helped the Offense attack the entire field. So, suspending those players was a talent/depth drain for sure....

Speaking of Hunt and Legrone, has either player entered the portal, or is there a reasonable expectation that they’ll stay and get out of suspension purgatory?  

Also, with the ‘18 recruiting class, the little time they had was compromised by Frost coaching UCF’s bowl (championship?) game. That added to the mad scramble of that recruiting season and couldn’t have helped the process...

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, VectorVictor said:

Speaking of Hunt and Legrone, has either player entered the portal, or is there a reasonable expectation that they’ll stay and get out of suspension purgatory?  

Also, with the ‘18 recruiting class, the little time they had was compromised by Frost coaching UCF’s bowl (championship?) game. That added to the mad scramble of that recruiting season and couldn’t have helped the process...

That's a good question about Hunt and Legrone. I guess I had assumed they were gone for good, but maybe there is an opportunity to return. 

And concerning the 2018 class, I think you are correct. Trying to recruit and coach UCF at the same time would have been a major challenge, and Frost didn't have the benefit of establishing early relationships with these players. So many times it's the early offers that stick with recruits, and they appreciate coaches taking an early interest in them. There is no doubt the 2017 and 2018 class attrition has left us very short handed for depth, and I'm looking forward to next year, when we will see more of Frost's 2019 guys after a year of development.

1 hour ago, Jarhead In Red said:

That's a good question about Hunt and Legrone. I guess I had assumed they were gone for good, but maybe there is an opportunity to return. 

And concerning the 2018 class, I think you are correct. Trying to recruit and coach UCF at the same time would have been a major challenge, and Frost didn't have the benefit of establishing early relationships with these players. So many times it's the early offers that stick with recruits, and they appreciate coaches taking an early interest in them. There is no doubt the 2017 and 2018 class attrition has left us very short handed for depth, and I'm looking forward to next year, when we will see more of Frost's 2019 guys after a year of development.

I think it depends on whether the LPD is going to arrest them and press charges for the alleged incident.  I know nothing has been made too public about what they did, but I'm hearing it could be very serious.

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think it depends on whether the LPD is going to arrest them and press charges for the alleged incident.  I know nothing has been made too public about what they did, but I'm hearing it could be very serious.

I hadn't heard anything but rumor and innuendo, but if the rumors had any validity to them, I would think the LPD would have already charged them to prevent complications should they enter the transfer portal and go to another state? 

I re-read Miles recruiting thread.  A lot of people had high hopes for him.  I've learned not to get excited about incoming players until they step on our field and actually show something in a game.  Injuries, attitude, work ethic, legal issues (a new concern), knowing the playbook, academics, lacking specific abilities and whatnot can keep players from succeeding.  Wandale was an exception and I think Smothers will be pretty good.

22 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

I re-read Miles recruiting thread.  A lot of people had high hopes for him.  I've learned not to get excited about incoming players until they step on our field and actually show something in a game.  Injuries, attitude, work ethic, legal issues (a new concern), knowing the playbook, academics, lacking specific abilities and whatnot can keep players from succeeding.  Wandale was an exception and I think Smothers will be pretty good.

It is (was) alright to be excited about him.  He seemed to fit the Duck position pretty well. His first year was hampered by injuries, and the next class our top prospect (Wandale) plays the same position, and is much better than he is.  It is unfortunate that he looks to move on, but that is life.  Also, doesnt help than the incoming Freshmen Nixon looks like he could shoot past him on the depth chart.  That should be expected in college football if you are doing a good job in recruiting.  

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, swmohusker said:

It is (was) alright to be excited about him.  He seemed to fit the Duck position pretty well. His first year was hampered by injuries, and the next class our top prospect (Wandale) plays the same position, and is much better than he is.  It is unfortunate that he looks to move on, but that is life.  Also, doesnt help than the incoming Freshmen Nixon looks like he could shoot past him on the depth chart.  That should be expected in college football if you are doing a good job in recruiting.  

I get the "Wandale" plays the same position argument.

However, here's the thing that leaves me scratching my head.  The Duck R position is basically a hybrid between a WR and RB.  Wandale has shown, if needed, he could move to WR or RB solely during a game.

At the same time, we have struggled at both the WR and RB positions at times during this year.

SO.....if Miles Jones is a good player....but, happened to be stuck behind Wandale, it sure seems like he would have had plenty of opportunity to at least contribute at either the RB or WR position.....even with Wandale on the field at the same time.

He hasn't, so...I have to assume he isn't as good as the ones who have been tried at those positions.

• Plus1 3