We win this game with Vedral, or McCaffrey

Just now, It'sNotAFakeID said:

It's a small sample, but the offense looked much more dynamic with Vedral and McCaffery against Indiana. Indiana doesn't rank out well defensively, but the offense looked so much more explosive than it did this week, and I think it was in large part because the QBs were a run threat. Adrian is more gunshy to take off and run when the pass isn't on 

Now he doesn't and shouldn't bare the full brunt of the blame; the offensive line is weak and the playcalling has been subpar. This game could have been wrapped up earlier had Nebraska scored 20+ on all the drives they had that started in plus territory. Instead, Frost rolled out some of the most bizarre playcalling which resulted in just 3 points scored when starting in plus territory. That's unacceptable and Frost should take accountability for that.

The players were not put in position to win and when they were, they didn't execute. It's a sign of a dysfunctional poorly coached team that has trotted itself out there the past 4 years. This senior class are some of the most losingest players in Nebraska history and they play like it. 

Vedral at home vs Indiana:  222 total yards and 2 TD's

AM on the road vs Purdue (who sucks, don't get me wrong) 300 total yards and 2 TD's (and a pick).  

• Plus1 1

Just now, teachercd said:

Fair enough, so they are about the same, which is great.

So...why start Vedral over AM then, if they are about the same?

What would be your reasoning?  This isn't a gotcha question, I am just curious.  

That seems a very fair question(although I know it wasn’t addressed to me) And really comes down to personal opinion. 

I simply like Vedral’s decisive approach. He is aggressive on  his runs, attacks the defender. I like the way he throws, even though the numbers are similar. 

The offense, to me anyway, just seems to operate a little more smoothly. And I do realize it’s been a limited sample size, with both good and bad. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, 3rd and long said:

That seems a very fair question(although I know it wasn’t addressed to me) And really comes down to personal opinion. 

I simply like Vedral’s decisive approach. He is aggressive on  his runs, attacks the defender. I like the way he throws, even though the numbers are similar. 

The offense, to me anyway, just seems to operate a little more smoothly. And I do realize it’s been a limited sample size, with both good and bad. 

I agree, he is decisive on his runs.  I think he was/is told to "look at the first guy and then RUN" and that makes sense.  

I think what happens with that is you end up with a great first drive...good second drive and then Blah the rest of the game...once the DC's realize that he is not going to look past his first read.  

But again, I think he runs better and more decisively...much like AM did last year...until he was coached-up, which is not always good!

• Fire 1

I agree, he is decisive on his runs.  I think he was/is told to "look at the first guy and then RUN" and that makes sense.  

I think what happens with that is you end up with a great first drive...good second drive and then Blah the rest of the game...once the DC's realize that he is not going to look past his first read.  

But again, I think he runs better and more decisively...much like AM did last year...until he was coached-up, which is not always good!

I agree. Great point about the defense adjusting to what we’re going to do depending on which QB is in. 

But how much more would they do that now with Luke in?  Outside of the one pass, it was QB draw over and over. 

Seems to come back back to our staff changing some things up to make the other team adjust to us for a change. 

5 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Fair enough, so they are about the same, which is great.

So...why start Vedral over AM then, if they are about the same?

What would be your reasoning?  This isn't a gotcha question, I am just curious.  

IMO, I think that AM is a better athlete, but I feel from limited action Noah appears to the the better QB (at least for this offense).  Frost's O is successful with up tempo, quick reads and even quicker decisions.  Force the D to react and use up tempo to create mismatches.  Against Indy the playbook (again IMO) appeared to open up.  It looked more crisp and effective.  Hard to argue with the overall results (other than the loss).  I think he could've been a spark with our O sputtering.  IIRC, we also 18 chunk plays and over 500 yards of offense.  This is more of the "big or bust" we seem to run......

DC's have also figured out the AM does a horrific job of adjusting when pre-snap reads change at the snap.  ie delayed blitz, guys dropping out of box, showing one coverage then changing etc...

Don't think we are going bowling.  I'd give Noah a shot.  See what he can do with a series or 4 against Wisky..

• Fire 1
1 minute ago, 3rd and long said:

I agree. Great point about the defense adjusting to what we’re going to do depending on which QB is in. 

But how much more would they do that now with Luke in?  Outside of the one pass, it was QB draw over and over. 

Seems to come back back to our staff changing some things up to make the other team adjust to us for a change. 

And I think that is what you do with QB's that have no played a lot...you give them one read and you do ton's of draws.

Vedrals best drives were the first one vs Minny and the first one (two) vs Indy...

• Plus1 1
Just now, lo country said:

IMO, I think that AM is a better athlete, but I feel from limited action Noah appears to the the better QB (at least for this offense).  Frost's O is successful with up tempo, quick reads and even quicker decisions.  Force the D to react and use up tempo to create mismatches.  Against Indy the playbook (again IMO) appeared to open up.  It looked more crisp and effective.  Hard to argue with the overall results (other than the loss).  I think he could've been a spark with our O sputtering.  IIRC, we also 18 chunk plays and over 500 yards of offense.  This is more of the "big or bust" we seem to run......

DC's have also figured out the AM does a horrific job of adjusting when pre-snap reads change at the snap.  ie delayed blitz, guys dropping out of box, showing one coverage then changing etc...

Don't think we are going bowling.  I'd give Noah a shot.  See what he can do with a series or 4 against Wisky..

First, I think you have a good post, not like a lot of posters that just say "Start Vedral"

I think Vedral has quicker reads because he has less reads, which makes sense.  I also think he is quicker to pull and run...like AM last year (when the team also sucked)...

the offense did great vs IU...no doubt about that...both QB's did well.

And I think that is what you do with QB's that have no played a lot...you give them one read and you do ton's of draws.

Vedrals best drives were the first one vs Minny and the first one (two) vs Indy...

True. And maybe at this point you have to gamble a bit. You see the defense loading up front after a couple series, you maybe at least take a couple shots deep. At least show that you will try. At least make them give the passing game a thought. The pass back to Vedral was great, slow up an aggressive D. Anything other than QB draw or swing pass. 

Its time for us to dictate things once in a while. 

• Fire 1
26 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Vedral at home vs Indiana:  222 total yards and 2 TD's

AM on the road vs Purdue (who sucks, don't get me wrong) 300 total yards and 2 TD's (and a pick).  

Do I pull douche stats here like NCAA defensive total ypg heading into today

Indiana 26

Purdue 81

Oh Minny is 13

As for your question I personally have never screamed for Noah to start, you know this.  I have advocated giving him series when AM is struggling. Again you know this.  However, what I notice the last two weeks with Noah started is there is a quicker tempo with this offense like we saw last year.  That tempo seemed to make players on the unit think less and react sharper.  There also was no staring at the defense while it is giving you ten yards to scramble for positive plays rather waiting forever to only have running lanes close and it is a two yard gain maybe.  Again that was something we saw last year especially towards the end.  Also only 1 TO in those two starts

And finally I have been big on Smothers from the start, but you know there is no way in hell to know he is better than Noah at a COLLEGE level

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

Do I pull douche stats here like NCAA defensive total ypg heading into today

Indiana 26

Purdue 81

Oh Minny is 13

As for your question I personally have never screamed for Noah to start, you know this.  I have advocated giving him series when AM is struggling. Again you know this.  However, what I notice the last two weeks with Noah started is there is a quicker tempo with this offense like we saw last year.  That tempo seemed to make players on the unit think less and react sharper.  There also was no staring at the defense while it is giving you ten yards to scramble for positive plays rather waiting forever to only have running lanes close and it is a two yard gain maybe.  Again that was something we saw last year especially towards the end.

And finally I have been big on Smothers from the start, but you know there is no way in hell to know he is better than Noah at a COLLEGE level

Just to answer your last sentence.  I think that NV is 0-2 as a college starter so my guess is that Smothers can also be 0-2 as a college starter.  So I guess not "better" but equal.  

And vs that vaunted Indiana D...Vedral had about 230 yards...while Luke had 150...and only missed one pass.  

I guess I don't get your argument.  If your argument is for Luke over AM, sure!  but Vedral?  no.  It just doesn't add up.

11 minutes ago, teachercd said:

First, I think you have a good post, not like a lot of posters that just say "Start Vedral"

I think Vedral has quicker reads because he has less reads, which makes sense.  I also think he is quicker to pull and run...like AM last year (when the team also sucked)...

the offense did great vs IU...no doubt about that...both QB's did well.

Thanks.

The bolded is so true and what kills me with AM. He truly reminds me of TA.  He stares down the receiver, misses guys and bad throws.  YOLO bomb/arm punts.....If he has issues making reads now (and I think he does).  Simplify the play calling by giving himless reads. Tell him to look to his primary, outlet or run....Help him by using pre snap motion to force the D to reveal if they are in man or zone.  Have Wan'dale in the back field and motion a TE in as a HB. Have him read after the motion or shift.  Maybe he's been over coached by Verduzco and last year was really him balling out and improvising. 

1 minute ago, lo country said:

Thanks.

The bolded is so true and what kills me with AM. He truly reminds me of TA.  He stares down the receiver, misses guys and bad throws.  YOLO bomb/arm punts.....If he has issues making reads now (and I think he does).  Simplify the play calling by giving himless reads. Tell him to look to his primary, outlet or run....Help him by using pre snap motion to force the D to reveal if they are in man or zone.  Have Wan'dale in the back field and motion a TE in as a HB. Have him read after the motion or shift.  Maybe he's been over coached by Verduzco and last year was really him balling out and improvising. 

I think there is a lot of truth to this. 

I would say that TM completed like 64% of his passes...which is really good.

Just to answer your last sentence.  I think that NV is 0-2 as a college starter so my guess is that Smothers can also be 0-2 as a college starter.  So I guess not "better" but equal.  

And vs that vaunted Indiana D...Vedral had about 230 yards...while Luke had 150...and only missed one pass.  

I guess I don't get your argument.  If your argument is for Luke over AM, sure!  but Vedral?  no.  It just doesn't add up.

You were quick to point out NV’s performance against Minny and Indiana and then point out a performance today against a far worse statistical team.  

Again ive never said NV should start, I’ve presented arguments that he can play and be effective where you continually just throw out he sucks.

Again awaiting for the self proclaimed “horrible football coach” to expand my knowledge

7 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

You were quick to point out NV’s performance against Minny and Indiana and then point out a performance today against a far worse statistical team.  

Again ive never said NV should start, I’ve presented arguments that he can play and be effective where you continually just throw out he sucks.

Again awaiting for the self proclaimed “horrible football coach” to expand my knowledge

I owe you a HUGE "I am sorry"

I thought you thought that Vedral should be the starter!

My bad!  I read your stuff wrong.  I also agree, he should not start.  We were on the same page I just suck at reading comprehension.  

SORRY!  

And yes...I am a horrible football coach!  I was also a pretty bad wrestling coach, super average baseball coach and below average basketball coach!