Husker Football 2020

Redux

3 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Theeeeeeeee last five weeks?  We've lost to bad teams with their third string QB's.  Our last W came via a missed PI call.  A missed PI call that was almost as bad as the NFC Championship game last season. 

We sure do suck this year.

Does anyone have any theory on why we are so bad?

2 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I understand what you're saying,  and normally it is common,  but this isn't a normal situation.  Frost will have an extra long leash for 1. Being who he is and 2. The recent history of NU firing coaches and only making things worse.  The candidate pool is shrinking each time.

You and I agree.  Frost isn't going anytime soon and I'm certainly not calling for it.  I want to see Frosty succeed because I love NU football and I'm a big fan of Frost.  But with that said, if he goes 4-8 three years in a row there will no doubt be calls for his canning.  Especially if we continue with embarrassing losses.  

Let's say his record is 4-8 last year, 4-8 this year, 5-7 next year and 5-7 with a senior Martinez at QB.  Will Frost stil have the backing from fans and the administration as he does now?  What if Moos retires before Martinez's fourth season; does Frost survive with that record?  No knee jerk reactions.

7 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

You and I agree.  Frost isn't going anytime soon and I'm certainly not calling for it.  I want to see Frosty succeed because I love NU football and I'm a big fan of Frost.  But with that said, if he goes 4-8 three years in a row there will no doubt be calls for his canning.  Especially if we continue with embarrassing losses.  

Let's say his record is 4-8 last year, 4-8 this year, 5-7 next year and 5-7 with a senior Martinez at QB.  Will Frost stil have the backing from fans and the administration as he does now?  What if Moos retires before Martinez's fourth season; does Frost survive with that record?  No knee jerk reactions.

In that scenario people would be calling for things yes.  I'd want to know,  has he changed assistants during that time?  It would be interesting, (and horrifying), for sure. 

6 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Holy moly......

Riley was brought to Nebraska in the first place by a renegade chancellor.

Riley was let go after Moos was hired.  New AD's choose their coaches.  They don't usually stick with the ones already there.  Watch what happens with USC after the season.  They are about to hire a new AD.  I would hate to be in the football coach's shoes.

2 minutes ago, runningblind said:

In that scenario people would be calling for things yes.  I'd want to know,  has he changed assistants during that time?  It would be interesting, (and horrifying), for sure. 

He said Chins of one of the smartest football coaches he's ever been associated with....

18 minutes ago, milehighbob said:

Bahhhhh, I typed out a three paragraph answer and it's gone because somebody called my phone lol.  Dang it.  The short of it is the poor performance of the offensive line.  If you can't block, it affects everything.  Running.  Passing.  Play calling.  That line has to improve or this team will go nowhere.  

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Riley was let go after Moos was hired.  New AD's choose their coaches.  They don't usually stick with the ones already there.  Watch what happens with USC after the season.  They are about to hire a new AD.  I would hate to be in the football coach's shoes.

He said Chins of one of the smartest football coaches he's ever been associated with....

I'm familiar with the order of events.

Like I said, Riley was brought in by a renegade chancellor.

29 minutes ago, milehighbob said:

I'll give you mine.  It's likely a multitude of factors.  If it was as simple as a couple bad position groups, that probably could have been corrected or at least improved on by now.  

1.  Coaching?  Yes, that's probably part of it.  I think the transition to the B1G has been much more difficult than the coaches will admit.  I think these coaches will grow and learn from this year.  I still fully trust Frost as our leader.

2.  Lack of developed talent?  Oh heck yeah!  How many guys have been flying off to the NFL the past 3-4 seasons?  Not many, especially on the O and D lines.  

3.  Sub-par QB play?  Definitely, but more ails the offensive performance than just AM's major sophomore slump.  

4.  Lack of trusted playmakers on offense.  When your clear go-to guy is a true freshman (albeit a future star), that's pretty telling.

5.  Consistently poor linebacker play.  The 3-4 scheme cannot possibly be effective without good linebacker play.

6.  Inconsistent special teams.  Some bright spots now and then, like a few blocked punts, but overall not very good.  Especially the kicking game.

So, in summary, most everything needs to get better for this thing to get right.  I think it will happen, but could be another 2-3 years.  It's hard as hell, but we need to have some patience.  

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

I'll give you mine.  It's likely a multitude of factors.  If it was as simple as a couple bad position groups, that probably could have been corrected or at least improved on by now.  

1.  Coaching?  Yes, that's probably part of it.  I think the transition to the B1G has been much more difficult than the coaches will admit.  I think these coaches will grow and learn from this year.  I still fully trust Frost as our leader.

2.  Lack of developed talent?  Oh heck yeah!  How many guys have been flying off to the NFL the past 3-4 seasons?  Not many, especially on the O and D lines.  

3.  Sub-par QB play?  Definitely, but more ails the offensive performance than just AM's major sophomore slump.  

4.  Lack of trusted playmakers on offense.  When your clear go-to guy is a true freshman (albeit a future star), that's pretty telling.

5.  Consistently poor linebacker play.  The 3-4 scheme cannot possibly be effective without good linebacker play.

6.  Inconsistent special teams.  Some bright spots now and then, like a few blocked punts, but overall not very good.  Especially the kicking game.

So, in summary, most everything needs to get better for this thing to get right.  I think it will happen, but could be another 2-3 years.  It's hard as hell, but we have some patience.  

I mentioned all of these things in my now missing post, especially #5.  We haven't had very good linebackers for years now.  The lack of playmakers at LB makes it a lot easier for opposing runningbacks to run all over us.  It also makes the line look worse because it's up to the linebackers to make plays.  Also in the 3-4, it's up to the outside linebackers to put pressure on the QB.  We haven't had a real pass rusher since Randy Gregory.  

1 hour ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Bahhhhh, I typed out a three paragraph answer and it's gone because somebody called my phone lol.  Dang it.  The short of it is the poor performance of the offensive line.  If you can't block, it affects everything.  Running.  Passing.  Play calling.  That line has to improve or this team will go nowhere.  

I'd really like to see Benhart in at minimum for a drive the next 3 games and just see what happened shuffling Farniok inside. I know the thought is it's hard to start as a true freshmen, but didn't Jaimes do it out of necessity? I remember him doing ok.