We can't, but Oregon State can?

tmfr15

On 11/11/2019 at 10:37 PM, N is for nowledge said:

Look back at drafts and combines.  The first time in yrs we had a good showing, outside jano, was last yr.  farmer actually led oline in a few categories.  Look at Jake cotton when he played, Andrew Rodriguez,....you think they actually lifted anything but burritos and quarter pounders when they were here.

It's hard to believe people with NFL aspirations would not lift weights.  Pure lunacy.  I'm pushing 50 YOA and I lift 5 days a week and push as much weight as I can.  

Of course, my counter is Stephen Paea.  He benched 225lbs 49 times in 2011.  He was a Beaver and Riley was his coach.   

5 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

You guys remember when Gary Anderson went 19-7 with a championship game appearance at Wisconsin and then couldn't get it done at Oregon State going 7-23?

Yeah, I think coaching matters...but where you coach also matters quite a bit.

He left midseason and whined that nobody could win at Oregon State.  Riley won there, though he retired without telling anybody two years before the red headed Manchurian Candidate hired him.  

On 11/12/2019 at 5:36 PM, LaunchCode said:

This seems to be a common narrative aimed at Riley however I found some interesting info that pours cold water on it.  For example the NFL combine bench record was broken in 2017 by an Oregon State player Riley recruited and coached. 

Let that sink in a bit, a Riley player set the NFL combine bench press record. 

Steven Paea.  He was an undersized D-lineman that was drafted by the Bears if memory serves.  He didn't do a lot as a pro, but 49 reps........yowza.  I watched a guy do 53, but there was a lot of d-bol is his system.  He came back ten minutes later and did 51.  It would be fun to be that strong.

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 7:46 PM, BlitzFirst said:

You guys remember when Gary Anderson went 19-7 with a championship game appearance at Wisconsin and then couldn't get it done at Oregon State going 7-23?

Yeah, I think coaching matters...but where you coach also matters quite a bit.

The thing with Wiscy is even today they owe a lot of their success to Alvarez, he has his fingerprints all over that program. Hell when Biliema and Anderson left he coached the bowls. He gives that program continuity and helps make the coaches look good. That said, ya it definitely makes a difference where you're coaching.  Some places are hands-down tougher to win at than others, plus there is the matter of being a good fit.

"We play to win the game."  --Herm Edward

Good ol' Herm went for 2 to win at Oregon State tonight.  They failed.  I'm not sure what he was thinking since their D had shut down OSU in the second half and they probably would have won in OT.  But the guy has some guts and went for it.  The play failed and OSU got their fifth win.  A win next week against WAZZU puts the Beavs in a bowl.  I didn't see that coming back in September.  

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

"We play to win the game."  --Herm Edward

Good ol' Herm went for 2 to win at Oregon State tonight.  They failed.  I'm not sure what he was thinking since their D had shut down OSU in the second half and they probably would have won in OT.  But the guy has some guts and went for it.  The play failed and OSU got their fifth win.  A win next week against WAZZU puts the Beavs in a bowl.  I didn't see that coming back in September.  

Oregon State actually could have been bowl eligible now. They would be 7-3 if the didn’t get beat by last second field goals in their Hawaii and Stanford games. Both games where they lead most of the game. 

And once again I’ll add, freakin’ Avery Roberts turned out to be a baller in the middle at linebacker! Leads the team in tackles, and is a top tackler in the PAC12. Happy for him and his success, but DARN, why or how does crap like this happen to us?

2 hours ago, FieldHog said:

Oregon State actually could have been bowl eligible now. They would be 7-3 if the didn’t get beat by last second field goals in their Hawaii and Stanford games. Both games where they lead most of the game. 

And once again I’ll add, freakin’ Avery Roberts turned out to be a baller in the middle at linebacker! Leads the team in tackles, and is a top tackler in the PAC12. Happy for him and his success, but DARN, why or how does crap like this happen to us?

Yup, Roberts has looked pretty good since coming over.  I'd really like seeing Hamilcar Rashed playing for NU.  Fantastic pass rusher.

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, FieldHog said:

Avery is balling very well for a guy who is lazy and didn't lift weights ;).  That Hawaii game was tough because the O stopped scoring and the O can't do that because the D isn't good enough.  The Stanford game, though, was different.  Stanford raced out to a 21-0 lead and lead 28-14 at one point.  OSU came back and tied it at 28, but Stanford kicked that last second field goal to win.  They should have won that game though.  Stanford has struggled this year.  It's funny to think the Beavs could be 7-3.  I figured on two wins this season.

• Plus1 2
16 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

Avery is balling very well for a guy who is lazy and didn't lift weights ;).  That Hawaii game was tough because the O stopped scoring and the O can't do that because the D isn't good enough.  The Stanford game, though, was different.  Stanford raced out to a 21-0 lead and lead 28-14 at one point.  OSU came back and tied it at 28, but Stanford kicked that last second field goal to win.  They should have won that game though.  Stanford has struggled this year.  It's funny to think the Beavs could be 7-3.  I figured on two wins this season.

Out of curiosity I just looked and Oregon State's preseason win total was 2 or 2.5 depending on where you gamble at.  Dang, that would've been some easy money!  

If not for Utah/Oregon's great seasons, Smith would've been a stone lock for Pac 12 coach of the year.  

• Fire 1