OC or CEO

C N Red

49 minutes ago, Danimal said:

Last year I wouldn't have said Frost needs a true OC, now I don't know. Playcalling has been meh this season. If he is going to keep-up being de-facto OC he needs better guys that can be trusted left to their own devices running the D and ST's. 

The pure volume of lateral play calls is mind boggling...the long throws to the side are both not timed well AND flirting with being a backwards pass/live ball on the ground almost e everytime (little bit of exaggeration there)...try to find s#!t that will work as opposed to forcing it too. Obviously I am not a coach, although I do think people put a little too much stock into "well they ARE a coach so they obviously would know"..in playing college football and knowing people who have and do coach in college I can tell you the CFB coaching world is littered with people who are coaches in title only but really lack any critical thinking skills to problem solve and evolve, they simply became a GA because they had no interest in anything else and latched onto a staff, built a "coaching resume" and if a "staff" , not necessary a specific position  coach, has success at a program that persons name gets tied to "success" and opportunities just come not necessarily because of merit but from association. I mean you just look at both CFB and NFL coaching changes...recycle, recycle, recycle. With that said there are, obviously, coaches out there who do get the job done.

• Plus1 1

On 11/10/2019 at 8:37 AM, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

I don't know what Dr. Tom did, as to any changes in his (perceived) role coaching and running the team.  I do know that HIS f#&%ING DEFENSE WAS AWESOME.  And I also know that for twenty years now OUR DEFENSE SUCKS PURPLE DISEASED CROW DROPPINGS.

Nice post.  I gave you one of those trophy thingies. 

Barry Turner, Ndomukong Suh, Jared Crick, Pierre Allen, Phil Dil, Prince Amukamara, Alfonzo Dennard, Dejon Gomes, Eric Hagg, Matt O'Hannlon, and Larry Asante would like a word with you outside...

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
14 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Barry Turner, Ndomukong Suh, Jared Crick, Pierre Allen, Phil Dil, Prince Amukamara, Alfonzo Dennard, Dejon Gomes, Eric Hagg, Matt O'Hannlon, and Larry Asante would like a word with you outside...

Yeah, the 2009 defense definitely didn't suck. It's unfortunate it was paired with an absolutely horrible offense

1 hour ago, UniversalMartin said:

The pure volume of lateral play calls is mind boggling...

I think this has to do with two things the first one is pass blocking as we have no time to develop deeper routes and the second is a lack of a receiving threat out outside of JD and Wan'Dale. Teams take away JD and Wan'Dale has had to play out of the backfield a lot more than I think the coaches would like. This is where the loss of Stanley has really hurt us. Teams couldn't take away JD and Stanely so the vertical threat was there. This year we haven't had a reliable vertical threat so teams are sitting on shorter routes and clogging up the middle meaning our best option is lateral plays to our playmakers. Frost didn't forget how to call plays from last year to this year, but our deficiencies are hampering his playcalling ability.

• Plus1 2
29 minutes ago, Igetbored216 said:

Yeah, the 2009 defense definitely didn't suck. It's unfortunate it was paired with an absolutely horrible offense

It be interesting to see if we win one or two more games with Zac Lee being healthy. We probably would have a conference championship, I guess.

49 minutes ago, ZRod said:

That list could be trimmed.  But I do have great appreciation for those players.  I'm guilty of a bit of hyperbole.  But... Meanwhile, our defense over the two decades, has gotten gradually worse and our offense often has scored enough to win games that the defense let us down on. 

1 hour ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I think this has to do with two things the first one is pass blocking as we have no time to develop deeper routes and the second is a lack of a receiving threat out outside of JD and Wan'Dale. Teams take away JD and Wan'Dale has had to play out of the backfield a lot more than I think the coaches would like. This is where the loss of Stanley has really hurt us. Teams couldn't take away JD and Stanely so the vertical threat was there. This year we haven't had a reliable vertical threat so teams are sitting on shorter routes and clogging up the middle meaning our best option is lateral plays to our playmakers. Frost didn't forget how to call plays from last year to this year, but our deficiencies are hampering his playcalling ability.

Yeah, I think Frost is trying to setup the run game between the tackles and downfield passes. Doesn't seem to have worked all that well. I think having Stanley back one more season - or another WR stepping up other than JD - would make this offense look so much better based on what it seems like Frost wants to do. 

I wouldn't mind seeing a few lateral passes, and then a few plays later, a fake lateral pass draw. Who knows if it would work though? It sounds good in my head though, and that's all that counts on a message board. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, ZRod said:

It be interesting to see if we win one or two more games with Zac Lee being healthy. We probably would have a conference championship, I guess.

Any kind of offense would have led to a conference championship in 2009. That defense was salty and perfect to shut down Big 12 offenses. It was so much fun to watch.

It was also fun hearing the announcers continuously say big Suh, because apparently Ndamukong was too hard to pronounce. 

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

Just to illustrate my concerns:  I admire what Suh accomplished and just admire him as a person.  But... What difference would Suh make on this defense we have now, with this DC?

A lot IMO. I mean he doesn't immediately make it 2009 again, but a generational talent has a significant impact on a defense. I don't think we're talking about manufacturing a pass rush if Suh was on this team, and he could make up for the LBs at times. Our dline does a good job filling their gaps. Suh filled gaps and could clothesline the RB going through the next gap over.

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

A lot IMO. I mean he doesn't immediately make it 2009 again, but a generational talent has a significant impact on a defense. I don't think we're talking about manufacturing a pass rush if Suh was on this team, and he could make up for the LBs at times. Our dline does a good job filling their gaps. Suh filled gaps and could clothesline the RB going through the next gap over.

Needless to say I disagree on the "a lot."  Mainly because of my point(s) about this DC, Chinander.  I don't get it with his schemes and his inability to develop consistent play makers/big play stoppers (other than occasional).  They routinely get outrun in the open field.  They are too often giving up big losses between D-line players.  They make plays from time to time but too late;  look at our d stats in the Big Ten.  Suh could not have corrected this.  A proven, seasoned DC could have.  IMO.  We haven't had that in ages.

Just now, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

Needless to say I disagree on the "a lot."  Mainly because of my point(s) about this DC, Chinander.  I don't get it with his schemes and his inability to develop consistent play makers/big play stoppers.  They routinely get outrun in the open field.  They are too often giving up big losses between D-line players.  They make plays from time to time but too late;  look at our d stats in the Big Ten.  Suh could not have corrected this.  A proven, seasoned DC could have.  IMO.

Yeah, it's possible. I'm not claiming Chinander is as good a DC as Pelini or anything, I just think a lot of our current issues come down to players more than scheme. Plenty of blame for both though, and obviously I can't prove Suh would've made a huge difference on the current defense.

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Yeah, it's possible. I'm not claiming Chinander is as good a DC as Pelini or anything, I just think a lot of our current issues come down to players more than scheme. Plenty of blame for both though, and obviously I can't prove Suh would've made a huge difference on the current defense.

And that brings us back to my (hyperbolic) post up there about these players/coaches over the past years and several coaches.  I'm with you on the spreading the blame thing;  there is a lot to be said for players and coaches having to be on the same page (in addition to the talent of each of course).  But my thoughts about the Huskers now always come back to what I see as I sit in my seat at the stadium:  most of the guys out there are just not playing 100% ("on fire," "passion to win" etc) through the game.  It seems to break down quickly and then we have the big numbers in yardage and points racking up for our opponent. 

On 11/10/2019 at 10:57 AM, JJ Husker said:

This ^^^  It's one of the main reasons Solich struggled to replace him. Frankie was nowhere near the offensive mind and playcaller TO was.

Although the OP may have a valid point. I'm willing to give HCSF more time to get all the guys he needs and then see what his play calling looks like. But it has been a little suspicious and lackluster so far. Hard to really tell with the almost complete lack of line and player execution.

I had breakfast (free for Vets at HyVee this morning) with two old boys.  One was claiming to be friends with a lot of the teammates of the Championship teams of the 90s.  He said most of them have a lingering dislike for Scott due to his trip to Stanford.  But he said every one of them is 100% convinced that Scott's hard nosed methods and determination are exactly what this program needs.  He also said that those ex teammates are at practice often, and feel that the crew in redshirts this year could kick the butts of the starters this year.  They think Scott is trying to build depth in the long haul, not immediate, shallow results.

Hope those boys know what they are talking about.  I'd like to believe that is the case, and for the next two to four years, I will believe that.

• Plus1 2
22 minutes ago, grandpasknee said:

I had breakfast (free for Vets at HyVee this morning) with two old boys.  One was claiming to be friends with a lot of the teammates of the Championship teams of the 90s.  He said most of them have a lingering dislike for Scott due to his trip to Stanford.  But he said every one of them is 100% convinced that Scott's hard nosed methods and determination are exactly what this program needs.  He also said that those ex teammates are at practice often, and feel that the crew in redshirts this year could kick the butts of the starters this year.  They think Scott is trying to build depth in the long haul, not immediate, shallow results.

Hope those boys know what they are talking about.  I'd like to believe that is the case, and for the next two to four years, I will believe that.

I could have told the same story without all the "im friends with guys from the 90s" stuff. Its no secret SF is playing the long game or he would have been sticking young guys in throughout the year. Its a rebuild, and thats just the way it is. The last 20 years has devastated this program. It is gonna have to be a total rebuild. I dont think SF thought it was gonna be this bad, but i think he sees what its gonna take now

• Plus1 1