Close games

All season long, we have seen the close games go against Nebraska.

I think the most frustrating thing is that we have the ability to win these games no doubt. However, there are about 5 things that will have to change next year for these games to start going Nebraska's way.

1. Discipline  - We are at the bottom of the Big Ten in turnovers and penalties. Would like to see Scott get tough on guys who break the teams back and start playing others even if they are far inferior.
2. Offensive Coaching - Getting cute on offense when the game is on the line has lost us a couple games and made it easy for teams to put us away.
3. Defensive Coaching - 3rd and Chinander is getting out of hand.

4. Tackling - Hire a freaking rugby instructor like Urban Meyer recommended.
5. Stop believing your own preseason hype - Earn every win every Saturday. This team regressed a bunch from last year by thinking they could just show up and win.

What do you think we need to change next year? 

• Plus1 2

17 minutes ago, husker_fan_from_sweden said:

1. Discipline  - We are at the bottom of the Big Ten in turnovers and penalties. Would like to see Scott get tough on guys who break the teams back and start playing others even if they are far inferior.
2. Offensive Coaching - Getting cute on offense when the game is on the line has lost us a couple games and made it easy for teams to put us away.

5. Stop believing your own preseason hype - Earn every win every Saturday. This team regressed a bunch from last year by thinking they could just show up and win.

I think point #2 is key here. One big difference I noticed today was that Wisconsin would take the points when they got into our territory. FGs aren't sexy and don't inspire too much confidence but they are not nearly as deflating as getting stopped on fourth down. Instead of trying for the flashy plays, we need to not think of 3 points as a failure every time. 

I think too much emphasis is harped on #3 with defensive coaching. Sure sometimes the play calling is frustrating but I think Chins has done an admirable job this year. With how many different times our offense would turn the ball over or go three and out consistently, our defense (most notably the d-line) has done fairly well all things considered. Some bonehead mistakes but with the format SF has established of quick tempo play calling, first downs and continuous possessions are required if the defense is to stand a chance. When the offense fails to do so (all of October), the defense is left out to dry. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, Wistrom Disciple said:

I think point #2 is key here. One big difference I noticed today was that Wisconsin would take the points when they got into our territory. FGs aren't sexy and don't inspire too much confidence but they are not nearly as deflating as getting stopped on fourth down. Instead of trying for the flashy plays, we need to not think of 3 points as a failure every time. 

I think too much emphasis is harped on #3 with defensive coaching. Sure sometimes the play calling is frustrating but I think Chins has done an admirable job this year. With how many different times our offense would turn the ball over or go three and out consistently, our defense (most notably the d-line) has done fairly well all things considered. Some bonehead mistakes but with the format SF has established of quick tempo play calling, first downs and continuous possessions are required if the defense is to stand a chance. When the offense fails to do so (all of October), the defense is left out to dry. 

NU tried to get a FG in the 3rd quarter and it missed. That forced Frost to go for it on 4th and 4 when NU was down 13. If the FG was made earlier, NU could have kicked another one in the 4th quarter. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Correct. However, we skipped the chance early in the game at 4th & 3 in the first quarter. The miss clearly hurt but as we proved, we struggle to convert on fourth downs. Would rather have taken an opportunity for points than get stuffed on fourth down twice. Those seem to be more deflating or at least helps opponent's confidence more.

NU was on the 32 yard line going into a 20 MPH wind. I had no issue going for it on 4th down in the first quarter. NU doesn’t have a kicker who can make that kick. Early in the game like that, I prefer going for it. 

40 minutes ago, husker_fan_from_sweden said:

All season long, we have seen the close games go against Nebraska.

I think the most frustrating thing is that we have the ability to win these games no doubt. However, there are about 5 things that will have to change next year for these games to start going Nebraska's way.

What do you think we need to change next year? 

Wisconsin was 3/9 on 3rd down so more of that please.

• Plus1 4
3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

NU was on the 32 yard line going into a 20 MPH wind. I had no issue going for it on 4th down in the first quarter. NU doesn’t have a kicker who can make that kick. Early in the game like that, I prefer going for it. 

Agreed, even with an all year healthy Pickering I go for it there.  Underdog at home that needs wins, you go for it

• Plus1 1

Just now, Wistrom Disciple said:

Fair point though my statement was meant to be more in general for the season with Frost. I get that we've had kicker issues all year but a mark of a winning program is a willingness to take points. I like the aggressiveness but given our shortcomings on playmakers, I think taking points is crucial whenever we have an opportunity.

“Taking points” isn’t realistic when there isn’t a dependable kicker all season. Frost did a good job to get the team in to “take points” after Adrian took that long sack, and Pickering missed an easy FG with the wind.

When you are thinking about whether the offense should go for it or not, think about how you would think about it when the opponent is making that decision when your defense is on the field. For example, Wisconsin had a 4th and 6 situation in the 2nd quarter, and I was hoping they would have kicked it.  That play was from an even closer attempt for a FG. 

I understand what you're saying but avoiding the opportunity consistently will need to change if we are to be a winning program in the future. As I said, I know we have had kicker issues all year but either we must start becoming an excellent fourth down converting team or we need to adjust and attempt the kicks when we are within a reasonable range. I approve the decision making today with the conditions.

That said, I noticed that Wisconsin did not get discouraged when they went out, made their kicks and took their three points each time. I'd like to see us get back to that point.

1 minute ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

I understand what you're saying but avoiding the opportunity consistently will need to change if we are to be a winning program in the future. As I said, I know we have had kicker issues all year but either we must start becoming an excellent fourth down converting team or we need to adjust and attempt the kicks when we are within a reasonable range. I approve the decision making today with the conditions.

That said, I noticed that Wisconsin did not get discouraged when they went out, made their kicks and took their three points each time. I'd like to see us get back to that point.

Other than times when NU had basically no kicker, I don’t see times this year where they have overly gone for it on 4th down. It’s also easier for Wisconsin to “settle” for FG’s given their defense. However, Wisconsin lost to Illinois after settling for two FG’s in the red zone earlier this year. 

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

Other than times when NU had basically no kicker, I don’t see times this year where they have overly gone for it on 4th down. It’s also easier for Wisconsin to “settle” for FG’s given their defense. However, Wisconsin lost to Illinois after settling for two FG’s in the red zone earlier this year. 

We had opportunities we opted for to go for it on fourth downs against Illinois, Minnesota (2x), Indiana, Purdue and today. I like being aggressive but I also think sometimes the staff needs to think less with emotions. If we had a power team or more reliability with our skill guys I really like the aggression but with our shortages there, we may need to be more willing to try the kicks. 

Wisconsin didn't lose because they took six points, they lost because of two late turnovers and assuming they could beat Illinois without much resistance.

2 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

We had opportunities we opted for to go for it on fourth downs against Illinois, Minnesota (2x), Indiana, Purdue and today. I like being aggressive but I also think sometimes the staff needs to think less with emotions. If we had a power team or more reliability with our skill guys I really like the aggression but with our shortages there, we may need to be more willing to try the kicks. 

Wisconsin didn't lose because they took six points, they lost because of two late turnovers and assuming they could beat Illinois without much resistance.

NU didn’t have a kicker on the roster against Illinois and Minnesota. It’s not easy to “take points” when there isn’t a reliable kicker on the roster. Even when Pickering was back for Indiana and Purdue, I don’t see plays where NU didn’t take points by going for it on a questionable 4th down.

Against Indiana, NU had a 4th and 1 inside the 10 which they achieved, but was called back due to illegal formation (WR lined up in backfield), and when Frost opted for the short FG, it was missed!  NU didn’t attempt any other 4th down plays until the end of the game when NU needed a TD. 

Against Purdue, NU went for 3 fourth downs when the offense was in “no mans land” between the opponent 30 and 40 yard line. First play was a long pass from Martinez to Noa, setting up a TD. Second time, NU got the first down when Purdue had a DPI. That led NU to get a much closer FG.  The 3rd fourth down was not successful, but that would have been a 47 yard FG attempt. Given Pickering’s injury, that’s far from sure points.

It really seems that you don’t have an understanding of statistics and how going for it on more 4th downs leads to more points than settling for long field goals.  

• Plus1 1