Iowa Week Pressers

Mavric

20 minutes ago, lo country said:

Wishing we hadn't used him for that one play in the 3 games prior to Maryland.....Gonna need some RB help Friday.....

Yeah, I think this can be a learning experience for this staff. 

It is unfortunate though. I really think Rahmir would have given this offense a boost vs Iowa. Iowa tends to be good at defending at the point of attack in the middle. There are yards that can be gotten on the outside. Mills hasn't been too good at getting the edge. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Igetbored216 said:

Yeah, I think this can be a learning experience for this staff. 

It is unfortunate though. I really think Rahmir would have given this offense a boost vs Iowa. Iowa tends to be good at defending at the point of attack in the middle. There are yards that can be gotten on the outside. Mills hasn't been too good at getting the edge. 

Great, but painful learning experience....

I'm hoping that's gamesmanship from Frost.  Trying to play down that he will be used.....Unless Wan'dale is 100%.........

I know Frost is building for the future, but damn, throw out all the stops.....6-6, bowl eligible and a win over Iowa sure as hell wouldn't hurt the future.

44 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

A bit frustrating that this coaching staff has to learn every lesson the hard way. I’m referencing the 4 game RS rule. Looks like Frost should have a plan for each freshman or at least knowledge of their status. We have plenty of coaches and grad assistants 

This is probably the biggest knock....At times this year, but none more than this IMHO, we look to be playing checkers when the game is chess.  Live and learn.  I am sure that this staff would make several different decisions in hindsight.

Just now, Nebfanatic said:

Does McCaffrey play reciever again Friday? 

I'd guess at least a little bit - we're still not going to have Noa, and seems like maybe no Wan'Dale. I think Frost mentioned other guys being sick so maybe they can step in instead, but if he can run good enough routes/get in the way of defenders on run plays I don't see why not. Still super thin there.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I'd guess at least a little bit - we're still not going to have Noa, and seems like maybe no Wan'Dale. I think Frost mentioned other guys being sick so maybe they can step in instead, but if he can run good enough routes/get in the way of defenders on run plays I don't see why not. Still super thin there.

Thats what I was hearing as well as far as recievers being ill/injured. He has a game to spare, we are in need of weapons and he is just that.

He did well on 2 days notice last week, it will be interesting to see what he can do with a full week of practice there. It's not like that will stunt his QB development. Obviously don't overuse the kid but getting him 10 touches could be helpful.

11 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Mazour doesn't have Johnsons speed. With Mo gone and Wandale hurt we are in need of speedsters 

Never said he did--don't put words in my mouth.

The comment was that the RB position will need help Friday, and Mazour will be able to at least take a few carries and lighten the load. That's all I expect--anything more is gravy.

Just now, VectorVictor said:

Never said he did--don't put words in my mouth.

The comment was that the RB position will need help Friday, and Mazour will be able to at least take a few carries and lighten the load. That's all I expect--anything more is gravy.

And my point is Mazour isn't the help we need. He is essentially the same style of runner as Mills. It will be good to get Mills a breather, but on runs that require that type of back or any play for that matter I'd rather have Mills out there. We need a player who can provide a different dimension. That is the help at RB we need Friday.

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

And my point is Mazour isn't the help we need. He is essentially the same style of runner as Mills. It will be good to get Mills a breather, but on runs that require that type of back or any play for that matter I'd rather have Mills out there. We need a player who can provide a different dimension. That is the help at RB we need Friday.

I wouldn't say that at all. He may have similar speed to Mills, but definitely not the same power. Mazour is shifty but not overly fast, Mills doesn't seem to have any moves but he'll run through tackles. I agree Mazour probably isn't the answer Friday, but saying him and Mills have the same style is a stretch.

5 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

We need any and all help at this point, as long as it doesn't cost us in the long run. I'm not happy with how Johnson was used earlier this season (Maryland withstanding), but I would be even less enthused about burning his shirt for this game and season. 

Mazour can be helpful if utilized properly to spell Mills or as an extra back to block on passing plays (something I believe we'll need against Iowa's D-Line and blitz). 

Coaching is working within the confines what you have, not sitting there wishing or pining for what you want to have. Good coaching is having success within those confines and expanding said confines to facilitate future success. 

24 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

We need any and all help at this point, as long as it doesn't cost us in the long run. I'm not happy with how Johnson was used earlier this season (Maryland withstanding), but I would be even less enthused about burning his shirt for this game and season. 

Mazour can be helpful if utilized properly to spell Mills or as an extra back to block on passing plays (something I believe we'll need against Iowa's D-Line and blitz). 

Coaching is working within the confines what you have, not sitting there wishing or pining for what you want to have. Good coaching is having success within those confines and expanding said confines to facilitate future success. 

I am full on in support of Frost, but what he had was 4 games to use Johnson which he bungled. He had 2 scholarships for RBs this year go to waste because one left the program and the other was an injury RS when he was inked. I'm all aboard the Ronald Tompkins hype train, but it is squarly on Frost that we have exactly 1 scholarship RB to work with Friday. That is also a part of coaching. I believe we can win with the guys we have but it doesn't help when we do this to ourselves. 

Edit: in all fairness to Frost and Co. though I must note that Reggie Davis was the worst