The Political Cartoon Thread

10 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I love Shrimp & Grits. I make this every few weeks:

https://www.seriouseats.com/shrimp-and-grits-recipe

Just last yesterday 3 of us at work were talking about Shrimp and Grits.  I mentioned that it wasn't until I moved to Tulsa (from S D farm - meat and potatoes only) that I became aware of grits (which I love - Nola's - is a Cajun restaurant here in Tulsa that makes a great shrimp and grits)  okra (not a big fan), chicken fried steak (too big of a fan), real Mexican food.   Now you made me hungry for Nola's S&G.   A friend is coming in town soon from Dallas and we usually go there - I know what I'll be getting.  Thanks for the recipe. 

Knapp - when are you going to open up a restaurant?  I can sure see cooking is a passion of yours and you have provided some great recipes on other threads before.    Maybe it is your next calling.  If not, it is a great 'hobby'.  

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Thanks.  I now have that saved.  A town in North Carolina that I have to go to quite often has a place that has shrimp and grits.  But, the grits are fried cakes.  It is so dang good.  Crispy on the outside and moist on the inside.

These are the grits I buy. They don't sell stone-ground grits in Lincoln, near as I can tell.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AC7QSS4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Knapp - when are you going to open up a restaurant?  I can sure see cooking is a passion of yours and you have provided some great recipes on other threads before.    Maybe it is your next calling.  If not, it is a great 'hobby'.  

It's going to have to remain a hobby. Owning a restaurant is too much work. My cousin owns a couple of restaurants in Omaha and he is always absolutely exhausted. 

23 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Thanks.  I now have that saved.  A town in North Carolina that I have to go to quite often has a place that has shrimp and grits.  But, the grits are fried cakes.  It is so dang good.  Crispy on the outside and moist on the inside.

The only way to eat shrimp and grits is to eat the shrimp and throw out the grits or give it to a dog. 

Shrimp is good though.   By itself, in a Boil, or with pasta.  

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It's going to have to remain a hobby. Owning a restaurant is too much work. My cousin owns a couple of restaurants in Omaha and he is always absolutely exhausted. 

Yes, I can see that.  I have a friend who partnered wt a couple of other guys many years ago and they had a series of different restaurants. As he got older, the more he sold off until now he has one very good Mexican restaurant that he owns by himself.  Too much work otherwise and he can concentrate on  one specific concept and do a good job at it.  

Keep on cooking and sending us those recipes. 

Chili Cheese Fries Fries GIF - Chili Cheese Fries Fries French Fries -  Discover & Share GIFs

Chili Cheese Fries Fries GIF - Chili Cheese Fries Fries French Fries -  Discover & Share GIFs

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

I used to want to own a bar/restaurant. Kind of a steak/BBQ kind of place with a sports bar.  But...nope...not anymore.  I would have had to do that when I was a lot younger and could work tons of hours.

The only way I would do anything like that is if I had enough money and could build the business up enough that I had a manager that took care of everything day to day.

I have fun cooking for large groups and entertaining.  Catering events every now and then.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I used to want to own a bar/restaurant. Kind of a steak/BBQ kind of place with a sports bar.  But...nope...not anymore.  I would have had to do that when I was a lot younger and could work tons of hours.

The only way I would do anything like that is if I had enough money and could build the business up enough that I had a manager that took care of everything day to day.

I have fun cooking for large groups and entertaining.  Catering events every now and then.

What kind of catering?  BQ?  The friend I mentioned above from Dallas does a lot of catering wt his large wood fire BQ trailer - does weddings etc.  

32 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

What kind of catering?  BQ?  The friend I mentioned above from Dallas does a lot of catering wt his large wood fire BQ trailer - does weddings etc.  

BBQ...plus all the sides.  Mainly graduations, company parties, school athletic banquets....etc.  I fed over 800 once.  Nice thing about BBQ is that if your feeding 50 people or 300 people, it's not that much more work.  Just have to have the right equipment and well organized.

11 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

BBQ...plus all the sides.  Mainly graduations, company parties, school athletic banquets....etc.  I fed over 800 once.  Nice thing about BBQ is that if your feeding 50 people or 300 people, it's not that much more work.  Just have to have the right equipment and well organized.

Well if you ever do an event in Oklahoma - let me know.  I'll want to crash it.   I appreciate you guys who can do it - I can barely keep burgers and veggies from burning while trying to do both at the same time.  

• Oh Yeah! 1

Visit the Sports Illustrated Husker site